My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Just started getting no signal on some channels

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

I've had my HDR1000S since August 2015, and it's been pretty good, a bit better than the Echostar HDR500RS it replaced.

Within the last few days it's started complaining that there's no signal on some channels. I thought the problem would go away after a day, guessing the receiver would rescan or something, but no, this has persisted since 29th March or so.

For example, I can watch BBC 2 HD (102), BBC 1HD (106), RT (206), Bloomberg (208).
    I can't watch BBC 1 (101), ITV (103), C 4 (104), C5, (105), BBC 4 HD (107)

If I go to the signal status page, when there's a working program the signal status indicates both tuners have a good signal. When there's a no signal problem, neither tuner indicates a signal.

I've checked for software updates (it's connected to my router over a cable) and there's nothing new.

I don't want to factory reset and lose my recordings.

Any ideas gratefully received.

| Sat 2 Apr 2016 20:36:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

I'm not sure if my problem is related to someone else's
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/not-receiving-a-signal-or-signal-too-weak

| Sat 2 Apr 2016 23:39:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

I tried a factory reset, after discovering that it appeared I wouldn't lose any recordings.
    During the initialisation phase, it said the signal was weak and spent ages doing the scan. And now there are no channels at all. Not a single one.
    Sigh.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 0:03:35 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Sounds like a faulty LNB. You did not mention your region but if you check here the channels you had problems with http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2e.php
    Note at the top of each block there is either a H or V.

It sounds like you have lost horizontal polarised frequencies which includes the freesat default transponder. Without this you will not be able to find any freesat channels.

In non-freesat mode you should be able to find the vertical polarised channels.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 7:57:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

I have been wondering if it might be something like that, the LNB failing to switch between H and V, or failing to switch between low and high band.

I swapped the LNB connections over, still no joy.

Strangely, if I switch to non-freesat mode and do a scan there are loads of channels. I'll have a look at the channels it finds and see if there's a pattern.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 9:44:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

hmm, if found just 73 TV channels, and just 14 radio channels, most of which are BBC.
    And worse, none of the TV channels actually work, nor do radio channels produce audio.

I will swap in my old Echostar Freesat-HD-DVR box, to determine whether it's the LNB or the Humax. Actually, I should just go try the Echostar to see whether it can receive anything, if it can't then it would indicate the LNB is defunct.

The odd thing is that when I had a partially working setup, the signal indicated was quite good.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 9:52:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

On a hunch, I turned the Humax off and back on again, cancelled its attempt to scan for freesat channels, and now the non-freesat channels work.

Stepping through the channels it seems I only have channels from 10729 V, 10758 V, 10788 V, 10818 V, 10906 V, 11895 V, 12129 V, 12207 V,12285 V

So it looks like the polarisation switching voltage has failed. I'll swap the LNB connections back and see what happens.

p.s. I found http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html easier to follow

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 10:21:46 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

OK, I checked the other satellite receiver, connected to the same eight-port LNB, and the same problem.

Is this normal, for an eight port LNB to lose the ability to switch polarisation?
    Reading the satcure page about LNBs ( http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm ) tells me that the LNB is powered by all the receivers connected to it.

I bought the LNB online for £43 + £4 P&P, in February 2011. It's an Inverto IDL Universal Octo 0.2db. I tried hard not to buy a cheap crappy one, so I am disappointed it's died five years on.
    It was quite hard to cable it up, I remember all too well doing this at the top of an 8m ladder (had to fit high up on gable end wall - high steep pitched roof, needing to avoid getting a tree in the line of sight), as the F connectors are quite close and getting the self-amalgamating tape round each and then pushing the protective cover on caused a lot of grunting and cursing!

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 11:16:00 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Check LNB connections for water penetration. The copper wire ends should be clear of any black, sooty deposits. If not then you have a water problem. My own experience of taping the joints is that it is not very effective. Immersing the joints in silicone grease (any plumbers merchant) is 100% effective. I've gone from a 1 outlet LNB to 4 outlet then 8 and only ever had a problem with the first LNB which was taped, never since with grease.

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 12:12:57 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

thanks, when I replace the LNB I will do that.

The LNB also has a sliding cover, so I taped up the plugs and then slid the cover down. I took a photo and it all looks OK.

If I replace the LNB, I'll be replacing the short cables that go from the dish into the loft where I patch them to specific rooms (when we extended the house I had pairs of sat coax routed underfloor and in walls).

| Sun 3 Apr 2016 14:00:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.