My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Missed quite a few recordings recently.

(55 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ted

Seems like a reasonable tip.

Just now, I have changed settings on one recorder (start and end times +5 minutes) and - for comparison - fully automatic on another. I'll know tomorrow. Then I might follow Graham's advise.

And, it not just BBC, ITV and - for example - 5 USA are also affected.

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 16:09:43 #51 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ted - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Seems like a reasonable tip.
    Just now, I have changed settings on one recorder (start and end times +5 minutes) and - for comparison - fully automatic on another. I'll know tomorrow. Then I might follow Graham's advise.
    And, it not just BBC, ITV and - for example - 5 USA are also affected.

You have to be careful. The BBC problems can easily affect other channels. For instance if a BBC1-HD continues recording for longer than it should and you aren't watching. when the box tries to record the tuner it needs is tied up creating a failed recording and you don't see the on screen clash warning.

Other than this ITV seems to be OK at the moment. I don't record 5 USA but it would be worth noting if the recording starts at the same time as a BBC1-HD one ends.

The BBC have however sorted out the daily Shakespeare and Hathaway. For the first two weeks every recording was curtailed (I have however deleted BBC1-HD and Scotland on my HDR-1000S. Thay are now recording OK.

After creating a BBC1-HD recording. Ckeck the recordings planned list for a dual recording at the same time.

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 16:45:34 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ted

Now that you mention it. Several times, when I was watching (on the Foxsat), a message appeared warning me that a recording might fail. I never payed it much attention. But I shall try and find out what happens next time and under which circumstances (eg. concurrent recordings).

In te meantime: the recording I scheduled (from 5USA) on the HDR-1100S succeeded! The failures were on the Foxsat.

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 16:57:07 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ted

Humax's ways are mysterious.

On my HDR-1100S padding is set at Auto. On the Foxsat, I set the start time at 5 minutes before. Yesterday, on both recorders the recordings - from 5USA - succeeded. The HDR-1100S was on standby. The scheduled recording on the Foxsat started while it was on (I was watching a recording from an external HDD; the original HDD from the Foxsat).

On the Foxsat, another recording - BBC1 - (only one) was scheduled. At the scheduled start time, it seemed to have trouble starting up; starting up lasted longer than normal. When I looked, I saw the message that the HDD was missing! Remember, the last time it was on it was to watch a recording from an external HDD. This was yesterday.

This morning, when I switched the Foxsat on, the HDD was available and the recordings were listed (the recording from 5USA and older recordings, not the BBC1 recording).

And by the way: what should or could I do when I see a clash warning? My first reaction always is: it's too late anyway.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 10:03:21 #54 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ted - 58 minutes ago  » 
    Humax's ways are mysterious.
    On my HDR-1100S padding is set at Auto. On the Foxsat, I set the start time at 5 minutes before. Yesterday, on both recorders the recordings - from 5USA - succeeded. The HDR-1100S was on standby. The scheduled recording on the Foxsat started while it was on (I was watching a recording from an external HDD; the original HDD from the Foxsat).
    On the Foxsat, another recording - BBC1 - (only one) was scheduled. At the scheduled start time, it seemed to have trouble starting up; starting up lasted longer than normal. When I looked, I saw the message that the HDD was missing! Remember, the last time it was on it was to watch a recording from an external HDD. This was yesterday.
    This morning, when I switched the Foxsat on, the HDD was available and the recordings were listed (the recording from 5USA and older recordings, not the BBC1 recording).
    And by the way: what should or could I do when I see a clash warning? My first reaction always is: it's too late anyway.

Most times under normal circumstances the clash is generated because a recording due to finish overruns slightly, preventing the start of a follow on recording. This happens quite often when the ending programme is on ITV. The now/next data tends to change around the middle of the adverts. If ignored generally the follow on programme works just fine.

However if the clash is clearly down to a double recording simply cancel the recording of one of the two. This will release a tuner to make the desired recording. If you don't spot the double recording prior to the real time clash and are not watching there's not much you can do.

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:07:58 #55 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.