My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Misses start of programmes

(32 posts)
  1. Hogweed

Hogweed

I haven’t had the device very long, but have noticed that it misses the start of many (all? Not sure yet) programmes it records. As usual, sadly the manual is of no help – is there a way to alter this?

Thanks

| Fri 15 May 2015 11:39:19 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This usually is only a problem with the minor channels. There is a couple of ways to minimise the issue but both have undesired effects.

First one is to utilise the box auto padding option.

Settings - Recordings - Start/End padding time

Points to note

The option is universal it can't be implemented for an individual channel.

Series recording is retained, but the ability for the broadcasters to transmit accurate recording start and end times is lost. As a result if the actual programme transmitted times deviate by more than your padding then you will still lose content.

Where consecutive schedules require one tuner to make consecutive recordings then the padding can compromise the start of the second recording.

Second is to use the manual timer settings and the provided repeat patterns.

In this case you will have to manually check the broadcaster hasn't changed the schedule for one or more follow up episodes.

Each recording is filed in the root folder (no series folder is created).

To make a manual recording reservation - recordings - planned - Press right twice to get to set recordings.

Fill in the details in the set recordings dialogue.

| Fri 15 May 2015 12:03:57 #2 |
  3. Hogweed

Hogweed

Thanks, it’s very good of you to provide such comprehensive information – seems there’s no perfect answer though

One point though – the only channels I watch are I guess what you would call “major” ones:

BBC1 HD
    BBC2 HD
    BBC3 HD
    BBC4 HD
    ITV HD
    CH4 HD

I have these set up as my Favourite list, so don’t even see the others in the Guide…

| Fri 15 May 2015 12:16:30 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hogweed - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, it’s very good of you to provide such comprehensive information – seems there’s no perfect answer though
    One point though – the only channels I watch are I guess what you would call “major” ones:
    BBC1 HD
    BBC2 HD
    BBC3 HD
    BBC4 HD
    ITV HD
    CH4 HD
    I have these set up as my Favourite list, so don’t even see the others in the Guide…

I regulary record all those without issue. Check that start and end times are set to auto.

| Fri 15 May 2015 12:27:36 #4 |
  5. Hogweed

Hogweed

grahamlthompson
    I regulary record all those without issue. Check that start and end times are set to auto.

OK will do.

| Fri 15 May 2015 13:28:10 #5 |
  6. Hogweed

Hogweed

Well, I’ve been monitoring it for a while now, and it is absolutely consistent – it misses the start of every programme I record. It’s only something like 5 or 10 seconds I think – I have no easy way of monitoring it really - but that does often miss a little of the start of a programme.

So I’ve added a 2 minute “pad” to the start – seems a shame to have to do this though…

There are things about this box I REALLY like – but sadly, thing is really dislike too. It’s very frustrating

PS it was set to Auto before I added the 2 minutes.

| Tue 26 May 2015 16:53:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Given that as you say it's not easy to monitor, why do you think 5-10 seconds is being missed off every programme? Is it noticeably clipped in each case, compared, say, to the same programme on catchup?

I often find that ITV3 programmes are slightly clipped at the start, but I reckon it's the broadcaster's fault. BBC programmes are nearly always fine.

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:04:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Interesting post on the YouView forum (from a couple of years back) about how Accurate Recording works in practice:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/how_does_accurate_recording_actually_work?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=11608391#reply_11608391

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:32:41 #8 |
  9. Hogweed

Hogweed

JamesB
    Given that as you say it's not easy to monitor, why do you think 5-10 seconds is being missed off every programme? Is it noticeably clipped in each case, compared, say, to the same programme on catchup?

Well, it's really noticeable - I mean, I'm guessing - it could be as much as 20 seconds. You start watching the recording, and the guy's half way through his introduction.

I've used a Freeview HD machine for the last 3-4 years, and it doesn't do it

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:44:50 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tell us what recordings you have coming up and set AR. If I can I will record some and compare notes. Not noticed any issues with the channels I record. BBC1/2 HD ITV-HD and CH4 HD. They all seem to get running status changes bang on the mark.

| Tue 26 May 2015 20:54:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.