My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

More Aura Problems

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richchad

We have had our Freeview Aura about 4 months and have noticed these problems..

1. When watching live TV we sometimes get a blank yellowish screen and loss of sound for a second or two.

2. When playing back some recordings and skipping adverts the recording skips back to a much earlier place in the recording, you can actually see the recording position on the marker bar jump back.

3. Every few days when switching on the Aura it goes through the long start up process rather than the usual last channel watched.

Is anyone else experiencing any of these problems?

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 8:06:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

1. Yeah my Aura does the same, every few days it will go through a period of time where it will lose picture and sound for about two seconds and then after an hour or so it will go back to behaving.
    Check the cables to see if any have come loose. Keep the HDMI cable away from the aerial cable.

2. When you first press the skip button have a look at the progress bar at the bottom of the screen, make sure the bar is red and at the point of where you were in the recording, if it is at the right time on the recording press the skip button one or more times for a faster skip. If when you first press the skip button the marker is not at the correct time on the recording (i.e. the start) further pressings of the skip button can cause the recording to go back to the start.

Another way to skip forward or backward without it jumping back to the start is to press the up arrow above OK on the remote, you will now see 10 second thumbnails of your recording. Pressing the left or right arrows next to OK will let you skip forward or back through the recording and see where the adverts end and your programme resumes.

3. I think I saw in a recent question in this forum that the aura is programmed to power itself down every four days or thereabouts, this is maybe what you are experiencing. Not a bad idea as this allows the Aura to refresh and probably flush out any caches that may cause the Aura to display erratic behaviour.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 11:02:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Richchad - 4 hours ago  » 
    1. When watching live TV we sometimes get a blank yellowish screen and loss of sound for a second or two.

I haven't seen that behaviour. What make and model of TV and what resolution settings are you using on the Aura?

2. When playing back some recordings and skipping adverts the recording skips back to a much earlier place in the recording, you can actually see the recording position on the marker bar jump back.

Well known problem that Humax should have fixed. When you bring up the progress bar, look if the end time is 0:00; if it is you can be sure skip won't work properly.

3. Every few days when switching on the Aura it goes through the long start up process rather than the usual last channel watched.

This behaviour was introduced by one of the software updates; my guess is that there was a memory leak that Humax hadn't yet identified. As software development has been stagnant recently, I fear that the memory leak will never be identified and this behaviour will remain.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 12:14:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richchad

Thanks VitaminD and Martin for the replies,

The light yellow screen appears in live TV, I cannot find it in any recording where it happened in live TV that was being recorded, I will have to try watching the Freeview TV direct to see if it happens there to prove it isn't a TV problem.
    The TV actually shows light grey for a split second before going to the yellow screen and interupts the sound.

The TV is a Samsung QE65QN95AS, only a few months old, the resolution setting on the Aura is set to Auto.

With regard to the skipping adverts and finding it has skipped back, I thought it may have been a problem with the hard disk but from what you are both saying it seems to be a software problem, I will look to see if 0:00 is showing at end of recording next time.

I have the Aura set to never Deep Sleep so assume that is nothing to do with the restart every few days, I can live with that but the screen yellow and recording skipping are my main worry, I still have a few months left on the warranty so will have to see if it gets worse if there is no answer to it.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 14:23:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

The signal blanking out does not affect any recordings that may be being made at the time.

The skipping using the skip buttons is an issue, but if you are careful as I described it shouldn't happen.
    Try the other method I suggested to skip forward by pressing the upwards arrow and then either the left or right
    arrow to skip forward or back. Pressing and holding down the left or right arrows speeds up the skip.

The Aura may have come with a two year warranty depending where you bought it.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 15:30:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richchad

VitaminD - 2 mins ago  » 
    The signal blanking out does not affect any recordings that may be being made at the time.
    The skipping using the skip buttons is an issue, but if you are careful as I described it shouldn't happen.
    Try the other method I suggested to skip forward by pressing the upwards arrow and then either the left or right
    arrow to skip forward or back. Pressing and holding down the left or right arrows speeds up the skip.
    The Aura may have come with a two year warranty depending where you bought it.

I use a universal remote programmed for the Aura settings and use the the OK centre right arrow to skip adverts, normally 4 presses gets me through adds most times, I have just looked at the option of arrow up first and can see the thumbnails so I will try that when problem occurs again.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2 year warranty, I bought it from Richer Sounds, I had a problem with my previous Humax FVP-5000T where picture blanked out every now and again (it was a different TV then) but Richer Sounds were reluctant to replace it, I had to actually video a TV program until it occured and they then accepted the problem.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 15:44:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Richchad - 2 hours ago  » 
    With regard to the skipping adverts and finding it has skipped back, I thought it may have been a problem with the hard disk but from what you are both saying it seems to be a software problem, I will look to see if 0:00 is showing at end of recording next time.

It is definitely a software problem and probably the most commonly raised issue about the Aura.

I have the Aura set to never Deep Sleep so assume that is nothing to do with the restart every few days.

My settings are the same and it definitely happens on a fairly predictable schedule.

I can live with that but the screen yellow and recording skipping are my main worry.

As regards the screen yellow you might try looking at the HDMI settings on the TV for the port you are connecting the Aura to and experiment to see if changes help. Please let usknow if you find a solution.

| Mon 6 Feb 2023 16:52:31 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.