My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Moving files between humax and external hard drive

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi
    I have previously copied files from HDD to External hard drive. I bought a bigger external hard drive and transferred some files back to the HDD in order to move them back to the new external hard drive. However the Humax is not letting me copy them to the new external drive. They have the disc icon with the red cross showing against them.

Is there any solution to this?

| Sun 7 Feb 2016 20:06:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Knowing what box you actually copied the recordings from would help.

However why can't you copy the recordings to your new hard drive using your PC ? For HD recordings there is often a copy once option to copy recordings to usb. This does not stop you copying them to a new drive externally.

| Sun 7 Feb 2016 20:14:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi Graham
    Thanks for the quick response. I didn't know I could copy the files on a PC I thought the encryption would somehow block that. Sounds like the encryption just stops the files being played on anything other than the box they were recorded on....?

Sorry about not quoting the model but not sure and am not now where the box is. It is a Humax FreeSat box with 500GB drive. The model that was before the 1000S models...?

When you say 'externally' do you mean to an external hard drive (in which case I do not know what is wrong, although the Humax refers to external hard drive as USB), or do you mean via PC? If the latter I will try that next time with both external hard drives connected via PC, and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 0:10:09 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

As you have managed to copy files to USB aready I am guessing the drive you have is formatted FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB. To copy larger files requires the disk to be formatted EXT3. To use EXT3 on a PC requires a seperate driver.

Assuming the drive is FAT32 you will need to format the new drive FAT32 which in Windows requires a seperate programme (unless you format using a CMD window).

http://download.cnet.com/Macrorit-Disk-Partition-Expert-Free/3000-2094_4-75913265.html

Simply connect both formatted drives to a PC and drag and drop your files from the old drive to the new one.

The whole process is a lot simpler of you install the Custom Firmware, using this you can copy content direct to a PC without using USB, and even play them back directly from your PC.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-5.1829374/

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 11:00:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Hi Graham
    No. Both external drives formatted as EXT3. Certainly the new one is.

I will check the old one as I recall formatting as EXT2 at one stage many moons ago.

Could that be the problem? Will the HUmax work with EXT2 or EXT3?

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 11:13:53 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham
    No. Both external drives formatted as EXT3. Certainly the new one is.
    I will check the old one as I recall formatting as EXT2 at one stage many moons ago.
    Could that be the problem? Will the HUmax work with EXT2 or EXT3?

If I remember correctly EXT2 works on USB flash memory but not proper hard drives.

You have two options with a PC.

Create a USB or DVD linux boot and boot your PC into Linux.

Use EXT2FS and enable write support (Not sure if Windows 10 works with EXT2FS)

HD recordings had a copy once option set. The flag that controls this in the .HMT file can be reset using the custom firmware.

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 11:36:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Thanks. Then the first hard drive must be formatted with Ext3 so not sure what the copy problem is.

What is EXT2FS please? I can format my hard drives to EXT3 fine with Easus.

Do I need the firmware mod to use PC to move files between hard drives? I have my Humax connected to Ethernet via homeplug. Presumably this is o for accessing the Humax via ip address?

The whole process is a lot simpler of you install the Custom Firmware, using this you can copy content direct to a PC without using USB, and even play them back directly from your PC.

So if I am understanding correctly:

8. I can plug both my EXT3 external drives into my PC and transfer files between them over USB connection?
  9. If I flash the Custom firmware to the Humax, I can manage these operations directly from the Humax hard drive to the external hard drives connected to the Humax?
| Mon 8 Feb 2016 12:02:08 #7 |
  • grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. Then the first hard drive must be formatted with Ext3 so not sure what the copy problem is.
    What is EXT2FS please? I can format my hard drives to EXT3 fine with Easus.
    Do I need the firmware mod to use PC to move files between hard drives? I have my Humax connected to Ethernet via homeplug. Presumably this is o for accessing the Humax via ip address?

So if I am understanding correctly:
  • I can plug both my EXT3 external drives into my PC and transfer files between them over USB connection?
  • If I flash the Custom firmware to the Humax, I can manage these operations directly from the Humax hard drive to the external hard drives connected to the Humax?
  • With the CF you don't need to connect anything to the usb port at all. You can copy files directly to the PC or any USB drive attached to it. The drives can be formatted NTFS. You can play recordings direct to the PC using the CF DLNA server, and replay recordings from your PC using the NASmount package. You have the option of still using the USB port and you can control it via the PC as it has a web based remote control for the Foxsat.

Provided your PC has EXT3 drivers or is booted into Linux you can copy from one drive to the other. You must copy all three files, .ts, .nts and .hmt , you don't have to copy the .tac thumbnail files as the Foxsat will recreate them if missing.

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 12:46:40 #8 |
  • User has not uploaded an avatar

kevvyb

Thanks Graham
    I'll see how I get on with moving files on the PC. Will need to get the EXT3 drivers though. Is that just so that I can mount the two EXT3 formatted hard drives on the PC?

Is this all I need to do that? http://www.ext2fsd.com/

After I've sorted that I'll look to flashing the custom firmware on the Humax to get more flexibility.

I take it that if I eventually the files stored on an external hard drive formatted with NTFS then I will only be able to play these through the Humax via the PC and web interface and not by plugging directly in to the Humax USB port? Just need to know to decide which way to jump.

Thanks

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 13:14:42 #9 |
  • grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kevvyb - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham
    I'll see how I get on with moving files on the PC. Will need to get the EXT3 drivers though. Is that just so that I can mount the two EXT3 formatted hard drives on the PC?
    Is this all I need to do that? http://www.ext2fsd.com/
    After I've sorted that I'll look to flashing the custom firmware on the Humax to get more flexibility.
    I take it that if I eventually the files stored on an external hard drive formatted with NTFS then I will only be able to play these through the Humax via the PC and web interface and not by plugging directly in to the Humax USB port? Just need to know to decide which way to jump.
    Thanks

Correct link. Yes if stored on NTFS only playable from PC. Don't forget by default write access is disabled on EXT2FS.

| Mon 8 Feb 2016 13:37:06 #10 |

• RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.