My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New BBCiPlayer version

(20 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

New version is out of beta now and by the looks of things it does indeed load up the HD version of program's from the previous guide which is an improvement from the previous version straight away.(providing of coarse you've selected that option via the iPlayer video quality settings)
    One observation I've found that's different to the beta is that pressing back does now go back, so to now get rid of the on screen graphics just keep pressing down.

| Mon 26 May 2014 18:02:22 #11 |
  2. Davy

Davy

special member

I tried it today and it loaded a programme from bbc2 on HD no problem on a 1010s

| Wed 28 May 2014 22:40:37 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

asbr

They seem to have removed the button that allowed you to access BBC Radio programmes. Can anyone advise me how to get the radio part of iPlayer?

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 10:20:32 #13 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

asbr - 13 minutes ago  » 
    They seem to have removed the button that allowed you to access BBC Radio programmes. Can anyone advise me how to get the radio part of iPlayer?

They have indeed - scroll down to 'where is radio' in this link to BBC blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Welcome-to-the-new-BBC-iPlayer-on-TV

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 10:35:45 #14 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

asbr - 14 minutes ago  » 

Taken from the BBCiPlayer Blog:

Where is radio?

We decided not to include radio within this new version of BBC iPlayer. The low usage of radio on big-screen devices means it is not cost-effective to develop and support. You can continue to enjoy live radio on all Freeview and Freesat devices and live and on demand radio via BBC iPlayer Radio on computers, tablets and smart phones .

Edit: slightly beaten to it by Barry

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 10:36:04 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

asbr

Thanks for the quick responses to my question, even though they bring disappointing news.

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 11:25:57 #16 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I now use the third part Listen Again app on my mobile phone to catch up on BBC radio (alongside the TuneIn app for live radio).

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 18:40:37 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Another Blog has been posted which mentions radio some more.

Marcus Parnwell in his post about the new BBC iPlayer on TVs responded to people who are unhappy that radio is no longer available:

"The data we used for making this decision was entirely usage based. We have been monitoring the number of plays for radio on demand content on a monthly basis for the last 6 months. In terms of figures, taking the month of April 2014, we saw that radio usage on TVs made up 1% of the total radio usage across devices. Similarly, when compared to all audio and video usage on TVs, that figure drops below 1%. I understand this does not give any comfort but this decision was not taken lightly..."

Andrew Scott (General Manager, BBC iPlayer Radio) also commented:

"...we are currently evaluating how best to bring Radio to connected TV devices in a way that will be more widely used, probably as a combination of an application on the TV itself (which is a fairly expensive business when you take into account the testing across different TV manufacturers and models) and devices like Google Chromecast integrated with the iPlayer Radio mobile application in a similar way to how we integrated support for Apple Airplay.

We've read all of your comments here and I'd be really interested to hear more of your thoughts on this – please email radiofeedback@bbc.co.uk..."

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 21:44:32 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

"...we are currently evaluating how best to bring Radio to connected TV devices in a way that will be more widely used, probably as a combination of an application on the TV itself (which is a fairly expensive business when you take into account the testing across different TV manufacturers and models) and devices like Google Chromecast integrated with the iPlayer Radio mobile application in a similar way to how we integrated support for Apple Airplay.

I find the Radioplayer app a lot more usable than iPlayer Radio.

| Tue 3 Jun 2014 22:16:26 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 6 months ago  » 

I find the Radioplayer app a lot more usable than iPlayer Radio.

The updated iPlayer Radio app for iPad is a big improvement IMO. Also available for Android tablets I believe.

It would be great if the BBC would add this app to its other apps on the Freetime boxes.

| Tue 23 Dec 2014 19:48:27 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.