My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New Freesat HDR 1000S no channels found

(29 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

roozbeh - 17 minutes ago  » 
    I complained to Freesat why they advertise Sky to Freesat is a matter of unplug and plug.

That's exactly how it should work, it's hardly Freesats fault for not saying that you may not receive the service if the dish is misaligned.
    If anything you could lay the blame with the Sky installer for not installing it correctly, providing of course the dish hasn't moved slightly since it was installed.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 15:35:44 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Freesat do actually say "in most cases".

Freesat uses the same dish and satellites as Sky, so if you already have a satellite dish and cabling, whether you are currently receiving satellite TV or not, in most cases you can simply connect your Freesat digital box or TV - it's that simple.

Simple, clear, and correct.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/using-current-dish

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 16:05:52 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

roozbeh - 1 day ago  » 

Reffub - 20 hours ago  » 

roozbeh - 1 hour ago  » 
    What you said seems strange: if Freesat states I can use my existing dish, I really should! .

Freesat are expecting customers like yourself to have a correctly set up Sky dish, that means it should have a reasonable quality of signal from all their channels ! (And obviously it isn't normal to have something blocking the satellite signal).

But if one is having Sky service with no problems, doesn't it mean it is correctly setup?

There were channels from Eutelsat28A on the Sky epg. In all probability you couldn't have watched them anyway. It's just more obvious on a Freesat box because the home transponder happens to be on this satellite. Had you set up the box on a correctly aligned dish and then connected to your dish it would then appear to be working ok just like your Sky box did until the next channel change.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 16:16:02 #23 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

-gonzo- - 50 minutes ago  » 

roozbeh - 17 minutes ago  » 
    I complained to Freesat why they advertise Sky to Freesat is a matter of unplug and plug.

That's exactly how it should work, it's hardly Freesats fault for not saying that you may not receive the service if the dish is misaligned.
    If anything you could lay the blame with the Sky installer for not installing it correctly, providing of course the dish hasn't moved slightly since it was installed.

In that case it was not bolted down correctly.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 16:26:23 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

I used a separate satellite receiver to test my signal.
    When flicking through different satellite transponders, I get 99% strength with 50% quality, but on the CBS Action is flat dead 0%. Randomly I get some 99% strength out of the blue, but it can not find CBS (three channels which the pictures comes distorted).
    I used a satellite finder (the beepy one) to fine tune the dish alignment while receiver was looking at that transponder, and could not make it any better than it currently is.
    Could there be a frequency interference?
    Yes, there are thin tree branches with leaves in the dish course, like 15m away, but shouldn't it equally affect Sky signal too?
    Unless Sky Satellite is looking at my dish from a completely different location than the Freesat one!
    Totally confused.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 21:37:14 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi roozbeh,
    there shouldn't be any confusion. It's either dish alignment and/or the tree. My money is on the tree, have you looked at dishpointer.com as repassac suggested post #20?

a beepy sat finder will never be as good as a professional installer; however it's a good start and one that I've used in the past and so long as the cabling, connections, fixings etc. are all up to scratch then there shouldn't be a problem. There may be some tweaking a professional installer could do, but it's not going to help if the tree is in the way.

Take a look at dishpointer.com. As for my setup it tells me that there shouldn't be anything in the way higher than 6m above the dish height within 15m distance when pointing at freesat. There is a tree, not under my control unfortunately, and it is higher than 6m above my dish at 15m distance. As a result I can get some sky channels when manually tuning, but cannot get anything on 11428 H 27500 until November through to March which is when the leaves fall.

No amount of returning the freesat box for a new one or complaining to freesat will alter the fact that I have a tree in the way and there's no place on the house here that I can place a dish where the neighbour's trees aren't in the way even though I can tune in to some sky channels.

I'd suggest you take a look at dishpointer.com and if the tree is a problem either remove the obstacle or move the dish. If it's not the tree then tweak the dish to get a signal on 11428
    Alternatively you could take the box to a friend/neighbour and tune it in there, once tuned in it should work; however if the tree is borderline then you're only putting off the inevitable - I've moved my dish 3 times over the last 10+ years and short of turning it into a lightning conductor can't go any further.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 1:04:25 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

50% quality is low. 90%-100% is normal

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 7:15:39 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

Reason could be the tree branches 15-20m away. It's not bushy though. I wonder how the Sky engineer managed to get a signal from there when he installed it last year (he had to try two positions).
    What all are saying would've made sense if I didn't have Sky signal. For a 60cm dish, alignment shouldn't be sensitive to
    fraction of degrees.
    Yes I used dishpointer.com and got the data for dish alignment, Astra 28.2E and 28.5E had a difference of 7.7 degrees in LNB skew, and the rest of the angles (azimuth, elevation, etc) are within 0.3 degrees of each other so I'd say if one could get Sky signal, only LNB skew should be tweaked, right?
    UNLESS, Sky signal has far superior signal strength compared to Freesat which can cope with dish slight misalignment and/or obstacles such as trees.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 9:43:40 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

roozbeh - 9 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

Reason could be the tree branches 15-20m away. It's not bushy though. I wonder how the Sky engineer managed to get a signal from there when he installed it last year (he had to try two positions).
    What all are saying would've made sense if I didn't have Sky signal. For a 60cm dish, alignment shouldn't be sensitive to
    fraction of degrees.
    Yes I used dishpointer.com and got the data for dish alignment, Astra 28.2E and 28.5E had a difference of 7.7 degrees in LNB skew, and the rest of the angles (azimuth, elevation, etc) are within 0.3 degrees of each other so I'd say if one could get Sky signal, only LNB skew should be tweaked, right?
    UNLESS, Sky signal has far superior signal strength compared to Freesat which can cope with dish slight misalignment and/or obstacles such as trees.

Freesat do not transmit any channels, all they transmit is an alternative epg to that used by Sky.

When you watch say BBC or ITV using a Sky box you are watching exactly the same broadcast. The only difference is you are accessing it via a different epg.

The satellites orbit at a height of 22000mls in a circular orbit directle above the equator. The length of the orbit is approx 165000mls. A 1 degree error in the azimuth adjustment of a dish will miss it's target by roughly 1,650 mls.

The SES Astra 2 group have a non standard skew, Eutelsat 28A is the standard for it's orbital location. A compromise is required to receive from both locations.

Eutelsat 28A has a pan European wideband transmission beam. This means it can be received in most of Western Europe but as the rf energy is less concentrated the field strength is lower than the tightly focussed UK spot beam transponders which carry the UK PSB services. Within the primary footprint they are very strong but the signal falls of rapidly at the beam edges.

Footprint map of 28A (The numbers are approx dish size required)

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/Eutelsat-28A-Super.png

One of the Astra birds

http://mayenne-satellite.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/astra2f-1n.8482714_std.jpg

Your problem is merely down to not being able to get the Freesat epg, the Sky one is transmitted from the Astra 2 group.

As Repassac says Eutelsat 28A is to be retired, at some time the Freesat epg will have to move to Astra 2.

| Tue 28 Oct 2014 10:26:17 #29 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.