My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New Freesat HDR 1000S no channels found

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

Hi guys, I happen to have a similar issue like lizzie8: Sky works great, new Freesat box hits the wall with no signal (or sometimes with a flash of signal in the Wizard stage which disappears in a second; sometimes I am left with LNB connected but NO SIGNAL!).

I checked CBS Action, and Sky box said no signal. I tried adding the channel you mentioned, but as soon as I do it, it can't finds any channel and after that I get no channel at all where I could! Then I have to restart the Sky box to be able to get BBC etc.

What you said seems strange: if Freesat states I can use my existing dish, I really should! My dish was installed last year. But because there are some tree branches in between, I get ~75% signal strength but around 30-40% signal quality on Sky (and like so when Humax box flashes the bars in a second with GOOD strength and BAD quality). In windy conditions HD channels get distorted but otherwise no problems.

I thought my Humax box is faulty but the replacement box I got from Amazon shows the same symptoms.

Will probably have to wait till Monday to speak to Humax tech support.

| Sat 25 Oct 2014 16:32:10 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It's a dish alignment problem. The freesat transponder is on a satellite at 28.5E and since the moves last year most UK channels have moved to 28.2E. Normally dishes are aligned between the two and get both fine. Yours is possibly aimed at < 28.0E. That the Sky unit says no signal to CBS action is a good clue, if your subscription is still active - complain that you cannot get CBS action and call them out.

You cannot setup any freesat unit without access to the freesat transponder.

| Sat 25 Oct 2014 16:46:05 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

roozbeh - 1 hour ago  » 
    What you said seems strange: if Freesat states I can use my existing dish, I really should! .

Freesat are expecting customers like yourself to have a correctly set up Sky dish, that means it should have a reasonable quality of signal from all their channels ! (And obviously it isn't normal to have something blocking the satellite signal).
    Good luck getting it sorted, it may just be badly installed a slight tweak may sort it out.

| Sat 25 Oct 2014 18:25:07 #13 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Autumn may be his friend.

| Sat 25 Oct 2014 19:41:12 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

Reffub - 20 hours ago  » 

roozbeh - 1 hour ago  » 
    What you said seems strange: if Freesat states I can use my existing dish, I really should! .

Freesat are expecting customers like yourself to have a correctly set up Sky dish, that means it should have a reasonable quality of signal from all their channels ! (And obviously it isn't normal to have something blocking the satellite signal).

But if one is having Sky service with no problems, doesn't it mean it is correctly setup?

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 14:46:52 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

But how do you explain that I have 'NO SIGNAL' rather than something like at least 10% signal? And also the Good Quality appears in a fraction of a second but disappears again? They're DEAD flat ...

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 14:49:44 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

roozbeh - 21 minutes ago  » 
    But if one is having Sky service with no problems, doesn't it mean it is correctly setup?

You said in your first post "Sky works great" you also said "I checked CBS Action, and Sky box said no signal."

So you think getting no signal on a Sky channel is great and that isn't a problem and it means your Sky dish is correctly setup ?

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 15:10:50 #17 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

roozbeh - 14 minutes ago  » 
    But how do you explain that I have 'NO SIGNAL' rather than something like at least 10% signal? And also the Good Quality appears in a fraction of a second but disappears again? They're DEAD flat ...

The digital cliff is very steep - when the quality falls just below 40% on a channel (very heavy rain) both my units can no longer find any usable signal and report no signal.

Take the unit around to a friends and set it up there - you will then be able to use the unit normally except for stations you also cannot get on Sky like CBS Action.

It is expected that the remaining channels at 28.5E will move next year sometime to 28.2E where you should get them fine.

Sky unit also need to access their default transponder if you cannot get a lock on them you will get nowhere.

| Sun 26 Oct 2014 15:16:57 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

roozbeh

Thanks for your replies.

SPoke to Humax and they confirmed the dish needs realignment. I complained to Freesat why they advertise Sky to Freesat is a matter of unplug and plug.

Anyway I looked at the differences between 28.2E and 28.5E orientation, and found out all the alignments are plus or minus less than half a degree different, except LNB skew which is a massive 7.7 degrees difference!

It should be straight-forward then, turn on Sky box, tune into CBS Action, attach a satellite finder between and play with LNB skew till I get signal.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 16:08:48 #19 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

roozbeh - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your replies.
    SPoke to Humax and they confirmed the dish needs realignment. I complained to Freesat why they advertise Sky to Freesat is a matter of unplug and plug.
    Anyway I looked at the differences between 28.2E and 28.5E orientation, and found out all the alignments are plus or minus less than half a degree different, except LNB skew which is a massive 7.7 degrees difference!
    It should be straight-forward then, turn on Sky box, tune into CBS Action, attach a satellite finder between and play with LNB skew till I get signal.

For you not to be getting it, if you are in the UK, then you have got to pointing to less than 28E. Skey 7.7 is not much - just over 1 minute on a watch.

Aligning a dish is not so easy - work out which direction you need. Dishpointer.com is a great site for showing you where you should be pointing for both satellite groups.

| Mon 27 Oct 2014 16:33:55 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.