My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

New software version 3.00.31 roll out

(15 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Faust - 7 hours ago  » 
    Has the Seagate drive got it's own power brick or is it powered by the Humax? They are better if self-powered as the Humax will cut power to USB when in power saving mode itself? Also do these drives have firmware to control power saving. Both items can cause issues when used as attached storage to something like a PVR

I think unpowered are better for the reason you state - they are off when the HB-1000S is in standby. Providing a suitable low-power AV drive is used all should be well.

| Tue 10 May 2016 6:37:18 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

REPASSAC - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 7 hours ago  » 
    Has the Seagate drive got it's own power brick or is it powered by the Humax? They are better if self-powered as the Humax will cut power to USB when in power saving mode itself? Also do these drives have firmware to control power saving. Both items can cause issues when used as attached storage to something like a PVR

I think unpowered are better for the reason you state - they are off when the HB-1000S is in standby. Providing a suitable low-power AV drive is used all should be well.

How many people just attach any old drive though? Whilst these non-standard drives may work (in a fashion) they can be more trouble than they are worth.

I remember using a usb powered portable drive for my iMac TM backups some years ago now. The backups used to fail regularly with error messages. It appears the Mac would wake from sleep quicker than the portable HDD did so when the Mac tried to initiate a backup it couldn't find the drive so it would fail.

I ended up buying a proper Time Capsule and never had an issue since.

| Tue 10 May 2016 15:16:52 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I used a computer powered drive with a HD FOX T2 for years. The power was controlled by a computer energy saving power extension. The drive was turned on and off by simply plugging the extension usb control cable into a hub along with the drive usb data cable.

| Tue 10 May 2016 15:21:34 #13 |
  4. aciddad

aciddad

special member

Some interesting thoughts there, thanks.
    The Seagate GoFlex is a low-power consumption drive with its own dedicated cable. I have three and they have been used successfully on a Humax HD-Fox T2 and a Ferguson Ariva 102e sat receiver. They power up very quickly and auto shutdown about 3 minutes after not receiving data. Considering the first failure was immediately after formatting and setting as the recording device it must have been powered up properly. This suggests a bug of some sort.
    Anyway. I just wanted to let REPASSAC know that it does happen.
    Can anyone can shed any light on the crid problem?
    David.

| Wed 11 May 2016 14:25:39 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Funnily enough I have a Seagate FreeAgent portable HDD. I have tried using that on my Mac since posting about it here yesterday and as suspected this particular drive does no wake quickly enough for a TM backup.

If I do a full startup of the Mac it's OK but not from sleep. Whether such a drive as this one would work with a PVR I wouldn't like to say but it may be useful information for someone.

| Wed 11 May 2016 14:41:57 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.