My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New User Observations

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

Hello all. Up till recently I was using several Technika Smartbox 8320HD PVRs. These are ancient boxes, long since abandoned by their manufacturer, and by the on demand Fetch TV service. However they were working reasonably well, and allowed recordings on one box to be played by the others, including HD recordings. They had a remote record function, but again stopped working as the servers at FetchTV were switched off.
    I started looking for replacements and bought a FVP4000T, refurbished for £90.
    I was pleased to find that remote recordings were implemented, so purchased another, and a H3 espresso streamer box.
    General impression is good- I understand the comments about slowness of the UI, but quickly got used to it.
    Some surprising observations-
    1 My ancient Humax HD Fox T2 (with custom firmware) can see and play recordings over the network from the 2 FVP4000Ts- including HD recordings!
    2 My new(ish) Samsung MU6120 SmartTV can see and play recordings over the network from the 2 boxes - including HD recordings!
    3 The H3 Espresso recognises and plays HD recordings from both boxes.
    4 Each FVP plays recordings from the other box (again including HD)

Overall I'm pleased with these gadgets, especially with the bonus that my Samsung telly plays from the 2 Humaxs.
    Cheers
    Neil

| Tue 21 Aug 2018 12:28:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jbsco

How could 2 happen, there is a flag which prevents this.
    In the case of 3, this has never seen HD are you sure?

| Thu 23 Aug 2018 8:35:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

2. I don't believe that HD viewing is possible because of encryption.
    3. One of the primary uses of the H3 is to stream HD channels or view HD recordings from the 4000t, so this is correct.

| Thu 23 Aug 2018 11:12:56 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jbsco - 3 hours ago  » 

I am guessing that it is being done via DLNA and the TV supports DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection) which used to be quite rare but is becoming more common.

| Thu 23 Aug 2018 12:24:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jbsco - 4 hours ago  » 

It's a flag!

A flag by itself does nothing.

It is the protocols which may kick in when the flag is observed that matters and whether the rules within those protocols are satisfied.

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    2. I don't believe that HD viewing is possible because of encryption.

That logic is flawed. On the FVP-4000T/5000T SD is also encrypted.

| Thu 23 Aug 2018 12:58:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jbsco

So you can view recoded hd content on the h3? Flawed logic what is this? My repose is based on common decency... how awful this place is

| Thu 23 Aug 2018 22:04:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pigolato

I completely understand the scepticism of my observations, however I do assure you they are correct.
    I was amazed that the Samsung TV would play the Humax HD recordings, but it does!

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 7:50:16 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Following on from Martin's post, out of interest I have just checked to see if my 5000T recordings (all HD) can be viewed on a HDR-FOX-T2 which does have a DTC-IP IP DLNA client. All of the recordings are shown with a Red X and attempting to play them gives unsupported file format.

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 10:01:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jbsco

jbsco - 12 hours ago  » 
    So you can view recoded hd content on the h3? Flawed logic what is this? My repose is based on common decency... how awful this place is

I have not seen this replicated anywhere else and another poster was a tab harsh in their comments

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 11:01:07 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Following on from Martin's post, out of interest I have just checked to see if my 5000T recordings (all HD) can be viewed on a HDR-FOX-T2 which does have a DTC-IP IP DLNA client. All of the recordings are shown with a Red X and attempting to play them gives unsupported file format.

Similarly, I have tried all my devices.
    LG TV can see the 4000t and its 'recordings' folder, can see and play the SD recordings but shows no HD content whatsoever.
    Sony TV can see the SD recordings but won't play.
    Q10pro (Android box) can see everything but, again, only play SD.
    H3 plays everything as expected.

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 12:10:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.