My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Newbie needs help with Raydon's software

(43 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

After the change is saved (using the change button near the workgroup settings) and the screen repainted you should see a reboot message and button (or warning if you are recording) at the top of the screen.

IF samba is running (services tab) then you can manually enter settings for a network drive (Don't browse) enter \\ipaddress\Media as the share name. This should also be possible using foxsat-hdr in place of the ip address. Normally I get this by a click with the right mouse button while on the Network icon.

Which browser and version are you using, also what version of windows?

If you have browser access don't play with the network settings - they are OK.

| Thu 16 Aug 2012 17:19:12 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Thanks for replying REPASSAC, been away a few days, cannot change hostname or workgroup as need to remove mongoose user access ( me ) but cannot switch off mongoose in service mgmt?

Tried mapping a network drive (z) using \\ipaddress\media and \\foxsat-hdr\media but get error msg network path not found?

Service management shows Samba as "ON" for auto-startup and status.

Settings still show hostname and workgroup in red with message "Item(s) in red require a reboot to take effect."

now I am completely baffled?

Am using firefox browser v14.0.1, windows xp home media centre edition service pack 3

| Mon 20 Aug 2012 17:45:54 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

mamos22 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for replying REPASSAC, been away a few days, cannot change hostname or workgroup as need to remove mongoose user access ( me ) but cannot switch off mongoose in service mgmt?
    Settings still show hostname and workgroup in red with message "Item(s) in red require a reboot to take effect."
    now I am completely baffled?

You don't need to turn off user access control to change the workgroup. Just enter a new name in the entry field and click on the 'Change' button. The text descriptor saying "Workgroup" next to the entry field is permanently coloured red. It just denotes that any change to that field will require a reboot, as stated by the text below it.
    Once you click on the 'Change' button a banner bounded by black and yellow stripes will appear at the top of the screen containing a 'Restart' button, prompting you to reboot.
    And it's deliberate that you cannot turn off mongoose using 'Service Management' since that would kill the very web server you were actively using to access the HDR. That's like sawing off the branch you are sitting on.

| Mon 20 Aug 2012 20:00:44 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Raydon, thanks for clarifying, so that what that line means! Ok so probably my network isn't configured properly as I cannot see the humax, at the moment I have a modem router downstairs feeding a router upstairs which is connected to my pc, am guessing this is wrong? The humax is connected to the modem router downstairs, the modem router shows that the humax is a connected LAN client with the ip address displayed. Will I ever be able to connect with this setup?

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 1:09:32 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Mamos22,

From what you've put about being able to browse the HDR setting, it seems the PC is able to communicate with the HDR, so your network is working.

As Samba is installed and running, you should be able to map the HDR as a drive in windows.

When you tried adding the network location '\\ipaddress\media' you did substitute the HDR's actual IP address in place of ipaddress so your command looked something like

\\192.168.2.104\media

(Your numbers will be different depending on your set up).

Dino

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 7:32:01 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Dino, thanks for replying, yes my ip address is more like \\192.168.1.6\media when i try to connect, I get error msg network path could not be found.

My PC workgroup is now set to WORKGROUP as per Humax box.

In the past I have successfully connected to a samba network with a device being connected to the router next to my PC but cannot connect this time, do I need to setup something else on the network or chge any humax settings, it is set to DHCP on the box?

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 11:55:00 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

If you click 'Start' then 'Run' and type

cmd

then click 'ok' , Windows should open a console display. In there type

ping Foxsat-HDR

and press return. You should see a 'Reply from ....' message 4 times and some stats.

If this is ok, the PC knows about the HDR and if you then click 'Start' then 'Run' and type

\\foxsat-hdr\

It should open an explorer view of the HDR.

Try that and let us know

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 13:31:13 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Thanks Dino, but tried pinging but get "Ping request could not find host Foxsat-HDR. Please check the name and try again."

Dino, the foxsat is connected to a different modem router in my lounge so is it likely that this would cause a problem? The modem router in my lounge feeds broadband to the router in my bedroom which my pc is connected to.

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 14:32:27 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Mamos22

From what I read earlier (about you confirming Samba is running), you are using the PC and Firefox upstairs to browse the Web Interface of the HDR downstairs.

Is this correct ? If so, then that means there is a network connection between the PC and the HDR over whatever infrastructure you have using IP.

Assuming it is, then IP is working ok and we should be able to get Samba working.

From the Firefox view, can you say what the address of the HDR is?
    It should show in the address box of firefox.

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 15:19:47 #19 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You can also see the ip on the Humax U.I. - Setup > Diag > Network.

What version of Windows do you have?

| Tue 21 Aug 2012 15:24:10 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.