My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

NextGen has finally landed on my T2100

(30 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Visionman - 4 hours ago  » 
    "Of course, if they fixed the Skip to random point while chase-playing..."
    Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this.

On a decent PVR while viewing a recording, you can have direct time code entry by simply tapping in a time on the remote eg 011525 will jump instantly to 1H 15 mins and 25 secs into the recording (hhmmss). Add to this the ability to store multiple labelled bookmarks for instant access.

Just an another example of the dumbed down Youview UI.

Neither of these have any relevance to DRM, basically just laziness or incompetence to add genuinelly useful capability to any pvr.

Forgive me for asking but it seems you don't really have much experience of using many pvr's other than the Youview ones.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 21:24:47 #11 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

That is the thing. Before the "upgrade" you *could* enter the time to jump to on a Youview box although I usually used the right/left keys to just move the playpoint along to where I wanted to resume. Neither of those are possible with NewGen.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 21:57:49 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 4 hours ago  » 
    You start watching a recording before it has finished. This is called chase-playing. If you are then skipping or fast-forwarding over ads or boring bits then you get closer and closer to the live point, maybe catching it up. This is why I tend to start watching a footy match recording 15 minutes after kick-off so I can skip over the half-time puerile punditry and go straight to watching the second half live.
    The problem is that with a recording from an internet channel such as BT Sport 1 that when you press Skip instead of moving you one minute on it can throw you back to much earlier in the recording. This is the long-standing bug that it is about time they bloody well fixed.

Well let's be honest it would be a lot better if you could set the skip feature in increments larger than one minute. I much prefer the Freesat incremental jumps where the maximum is just about the length of an add break.

Another minus (when our box finally gets the update, cough cough) is that we do tend to record series of programmes so I really like 'list view'. I don't fancy scrolling through a load of thumbnails in order to find the programme we want. Same goes for deleting after watching as I believe this too is not very functional.

You do have to wonder why Youview request beta testers if they then fail to act on the feedback. I'm sure lot's of beta testers (if other forum posts are anything to go by) fed back issues and bugs with the update and yet they appear to have been ignored.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:10:32 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson
    On a decent PVR while viewing a recording, you can have direct time code entry by simply tapping in a time on the remote eg 011525 will jump instantly to 1H 15 mins and 25 secs into the recording (hhmmss). Add to this the ability to store multiple labelled bookmarks for instant access.
    Neither of these have any relevance to DRM, basically just laziness or incompetence to add genuinelly useful capability to any pvr.
    Forgive me for asking but it seems you don't really have much experience of using many pvr's other than the Youview ones.

Are those options available on the 1000s/ 2000T Graham? I know they currently are on the outgoing UI in Youview.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:14:49 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

On a decent PVR while viewing a recording, you can have direct time code entry by simply tapping in a time on the remote eg 011525 will jump instantly to 1H 15 mins and 25 secs into the recording (hhmmss).

I'm well aware of that, Graham but that wasn't my question. I was querying the 'random point' reference, which gomezz has kindly now clarified. This Behavior was also prevalent on BT Vision boxes too.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:35:31 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 15 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson

Are those options available on the 1000s/ 2000T Graham? I know they currently are on the outgoing UI in Youview.

Can't answer for the 2000T, sadly dropped on the G2 boxes. the skip to timecode option is much missed on my HDR1000S and often used on the Foxsat-HDR.

TBH one plus point for the former Youview UI I had no idea it was present on the youview UI.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:36:06 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 15 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson

Can't answer for the 2000T, sadly dropped on the G2 boxes. the skip to timecode option is much missed on my HDR1000S and often used on the Foxsat-HDR.
    TBH one plus point for the former Youview UI I had no idea it was present on the youview UI.

Yes, it is there with the outgoing UI. I dread firing up the box every morning since I got the update email. It will happen sometime before the end of June apparently.

I'm pretty sure the feature was missing from the 2000T as well. Whilst newer PVRs are constantly blowing their trumpet they can do this and that, really useful functionality appears to becoming a thing of the past.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:42:40 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Visionman - 10 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

On a decent PVR while viewing a recording, you can have direct time code entry by simply tapping in a time on the remote eg 011525 will jump instantly to 1H 15 mins and 25 secs into the recording (hhmmss).

I'm well aware of that, Graham but that wasn't my question. I was querying the 'random point' reference, which gomezz has kindly now clarified. This Behavior was also prevalent on BT Vision boxes too.

I imagine your random point is in fact the capability to set bookmark(s).

Some add random bookmarks on a purely time based basis to create chapter points with graphic thumbnails.

Others allow you to set bookmarks (effectively chapter markers based on actual video content and allow you to name them to rapidly locate a specific point in a recording) and even allow repeat playback between pairs of bookmarks. Others allow you to add a + or - minus timecode to skip back or forward (as did more advanced vcrs).

Some even allowed post recording editing of recordings to cut out unwanted content,

All of this would be familiar to anyone used to using video editing software.

With bookmarks you can add several extra options apart from the capability to jump to a specific point eg allow repeat playback from bookmark to bookmark point.

Look at the excellent Videoredo mpeg editing software. It can edit mpeg compressed content, only recoding where edits cut into a GOP resulting in output speeds only limited by your PC and hard drive capability.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 23:09:38 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

"TBH one plus point for the former Youview UI I had no idea it was present on the youview UI."

Its coming also back to the new one as well. Though YV never state when. Also confirmed for return are - Hide Channels, Discover and Action Panel. Though I don't use those features, myself.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 23:23:11 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Visionman

ex member

"I imagine your random point is in fact the capability to set bookmark(s)."

No, we're referring to a bug in the YV software that was prevalent even in the days of WIN CE.

| Sun 2 Apr 2017 23:28:01 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.