My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

No 5.1 Dolby Digital

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rickw

Hi all I have issues with not being able to recieve DD audio from my Aura to my Marantz 1508 AVR. Set up is as follows.
    AURA >LG OLED VIA HDMI>LG OLED TO AVR VIA HDMI.
    I also have the Aura connected to the AVR via an optical cable.
    TV digital output are set to
    HDMI ARC
    Digital sound out > Auto
    eARC > On

Issue:
    I get correct Dolby digital output on AVR when watch Apple TV+ etc via my LG built in apps so TV connection look correct.

If I select the same ap on Aura all I am seeing is stereo.
    I've played with Aura sound settings by turnibfMS12 on and off and setting surround sound options to manual.
    It appears I can only get DD from the Aura when MS12 is off but then no DD+.
    I also noticed that I need to select TV audio on my AVR remote to get DD when viewing the App from the LG but need to select Cable when watching the App via Aura. It also appears that the Aura is feeding the signal to the AVR via optical!
    Another issue is with MS12 off the TV remote volume button no longer works so I have to use the TV remote w hen AVR is off....

So in summary does anyone have the correct settings to get Aura feeding DD via HDMI that do not affect the Aura remote volume or have I just got an expensive DVR and am destined to use apps on the TV for digital sound?
    Finally, what is the point of the android TV button on the remote I cant find a use for anything on those pages as there is a separate button for app.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 10:16:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

" It also appears that the Aura is feeding the signal to the AVR via optical!"

Do you have a lead from the Aura's optical out going to your amp? if so then why?

I have my Aura connected with hdmi to my Denon amp not the TV and have no issue with
    sound.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 10:44:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rickw

Yes, if I disconnect it I get no sound from the AVR when using the apps in Aura. I dont understand why has I'd expect it via the HDMI cable,

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 11:28:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rickw

The Hdmi goes from aura to TV then out of TV to monitor hdmi input on Avr. However the monitor input is marked "monitor Arc hdmi out 4k/hdcp2.2!

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 11:40:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

My Aura connects to my Samsung Home Cinema HDMI in, then HDMI out from the Home Cinema feeds the TV via ARC.

With this set up, I get 5.1 on the programs on Freeview that support it and also from Plex. I use the Human remote to control the volume and it work great.

The other apps I use do no support 5.1, therefore they just come through the Home Cinema as stereo, plus the sub of course.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 11:47:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

As you have the Aura connected to the TV you may look at the TVs settings to see if there is an option to choose Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital + (My Sony TV has that option).
    Or there may even be a digital audio passthrough setting as on mine.

I have my Aura connected to my Marantz 1508 and then out to the TV, try that. (I think this better)

So Aura out to Marantz (CBL/ SAT HDMI input) Marantz ARC HDMI output to TV eARC HDMI input

There should be no need to have the optical cable attached.

The Audio settings for my Aura are
    Audio Output
    Home Cinema via HDMI [Aura - Audio Equipment - TV] (up to 7.1)

Dolby Advanced Settings
    MS12 Transcoding Off

Home Cinema Volume Control
    Always On

Surround Sound
    Auto : etc, etc, etc.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 11:55:49 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rickw

Thanks vitimind
    With this set up would I need the watch all TV with the AVR delivering sound?
    Currently I only switch it on for movies and the like with DD 5.1 sound.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 13:18:45 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

Your Marantz may have a setting that when in standby one HDMI input is set to passthrough, my Denon does, think the options include Last or you can select an HDMI. If so select the Aura HDMI input and when in standby the Audio and Video are passed to the TV.

Another option, that I use, is get a powered splitter so Aura - Splitter – Amp – TV HDMI1 for movies and Aura – Splitter – TV HDMI3 when not. I don’t use HDMI2 as its eARC.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 14:20:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Rickw - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks vitimind
    With this set up would I need the watch all TV with the AVR delivering sound?
    Currently I only switch it on for movies and the like with DD 5.1 sound.

No the Marantz does not have to be on all the time, the sound and video will pass through HDMI connections
    when watching TV with TV speakers. I should clarify the Marantz does need to be plugged in to the mains
    and be on standby, but not fully on.

Also check the settings on the apps you use to play movies etc, from external drives/ USB sticks the apps
    often have an audio passthrough setting so that the original multi- channel signal is not being changed to stereo
    by the app.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 15:01:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rickw

Thanks I'll look at changing connections.

| Sat 23 Mar 2024 16:49:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.