My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

No Signal - STB Fault or LNB/Dish Need Replacing

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chubba

Hello

I have the HB 1000S and all of a sudden I get a message to say that there is no signal or a very weak one and therefore does not show anything. It worked fine a couple of days ago and I can still watch recordings on the attached USB hard drive.

I managed to get hold of a different branded STB and managed to get images after setting it up. My next step was to do a factory reset of my Humax. Surprisingly that seemed to work however a few hours later it went back to no or weak signal error message again.

I then try seeing what the signal strength is by hooking up the other branded device again. It's not amazing - probably 50% strength with 70% signal quality - but good enough to show TV images on this other STB.

Is it possible that the HB 1000S is now faulty (I've only had it three years)? Do different STBs have different sensitivity to signal strength/quality? Or, given that the strength measurement of the other branded STB seems low-ish, could it be time that I need to replace the dish and/or LNB?

It's just hard to tell and I don't want to buy a brand new Humax STB only to find I get the same issue a few days later or conversely have someone install a new dish and LNB only to find it doesn't resolve the problem.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

| Sat 31 Aug 2019 22:14:00 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is nothing that can go wrong with a dish other than it moving due to insecure mountings or it has been damaged so the dish no longer focusses microwave energy directly on the lnb feed horn.. Yours may have moved slightly and simply needs careful re-alignment (you 50% strength suggests this is a definite possibility).

Other than that lnb failure or water ingress into the coax cabling is also possible.

Water ingress can actually track down the coax into your kit and ruin it so the cabling should be renewed at the earliest time possible.

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 9:30:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chubba

Thanks for your feedback.

Can water ingress down the coax cable damage the STB? Would that explain why my current device cannot detect a signal whilst the other branded one does?

Thanks again

| Sun 1 Sep 2019 22:14:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Yes it could, if the water made its way all the way down the cable and into the box.
    Easiest way to check is to unscrew the f-connector and look at the ends of the cables. Water damage will usually turn the cable green.

| Mon 2 Sep 2019 9:11:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

SSThing - 32 mins ago  » ...Water damage will usually turn the cable green.

If it's been persistent it's most often sooty black residue. Look for that at any connection point in the chain.

| Mon 2 Sep 2019 9:46:04 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.