My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

No Video and Sound on Recording

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PhilG

I have noticed over the last few weeks, a problem where a recorded program gives a black screen with no sound. It has happened twice to me now, and in each case the scenarios are the same, but I don't know how to solve the problem.
    To be specific I am recording the current test match cricket series that is being covered by the BBC this summer. Recorded highlights are broadcast at 7.00pm over 5 days, I set up a series record session in HD on BBC2. In general this works fine. The fly in the ointment, occurs when one of the days of the schedule is changed and the cricket takes a lower priority over another event, and the BBC2 broadcast is scheduled later in the evening. As an alternative the BBC still offers coverage of this days play early in the evening on BBC4. For me this was the ideal solution so I set up a recording (Non series) on BBC4 HD. When I go to view the recording I get a blank screen with no sound. I have also noticed that against the recording title on the recordings page, on the right hand side of the screen, a symbol of a video camera with small 'x' attached is shown. Am I doing something wrong? I recorded another BBC4 HD program to try to recreate the anomaly, but that worked OK. Can anybody shed any light on why this is occurring.

| Sat 4 Sep 2021 12:10:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Almost certainly a broadcaster/crid issue as BBC4 HD has ALWAYS been problematic on my 4000t and always results in a broken tape icon and a pop up message saying that recording has failed because no programme was broadcast at the time (or something like that). The recording always plays though and once started the broken tape icon disappears and the pop up doesn't repeat.

| Sat 4 Sep 2021 12:30:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PhilG

SSThing - 2 mins ago  » 
    Almost certainly a broadcaster/crid issue as BBC4 HD has ALWAYS been problematic on my 4000t and always results in a broken tape icon and a pop up message saying that recording has failed because no programme was broadcast at the time (or something like that). The recording always plays though and once started the broken tape icon disappears and the pop up doesn't repeat.

The comment about "no programme was broadcast at the time" has immediately struck a chord with me. In general the BBC4 HD programs don't start until 7.00pm, and what I didn't mention in my original post was my Aura is set to pad 3 minutes at the start of each recording. Therefore no program was being broadcast the start of my program. Thereby causing the recording session to fail. I will test this theory out later, but I've a feeling that this is the reason for my problem. Thanks SSThing. Sometimes a word or phrase can jolt the blinkered brain into life. I'll post my results later.

| Sat 4 Sep 2021 12:44:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Set padding to auto. Anything else can interfere with the automatic tracking of programmes that are moved for any reason.

| Sat 4 Sep 2021 13:11:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PhilG

Just to confirm. I set up two recordings last night, for the same program on BBC4 HD at 7.00pm. Confirmed that this was the first program of the evening, ie nothing scheduled beforehand. 1st setup was a conventional recording using the TV guide, highlight the program and then press the record button. This method uses the pad settings, which for me starts recording 3 mins before the official time. the 2nd recording was set up using the manual process located on the schedule page. This method does not use the pad settings. The results back up the theory that if no program content is being transmitted at the start time, the program fails completely. The other recording using the manual process worked, but highlighted another problem, poor signal of the BBC4 HD. It was continually breaking up. Until I can find out what's causing that I shall try recording the SD channel of BBC4 instead.

| Sun 5 Sep 2021 13:49:33 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.