My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Noisy hard drive

(39 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

I've just purchased an HDR-2000T and am pleased with it, except for one terrible aspect - its very noisy hard drive. This unit is replacing an ageing PVR-9300T whose HDD is still, after all these years, almost inaudible.

I've searched reviews, forums etc. and it seems some people have been lucky with these 2000Ts and managed to get a quiet drive, while others haven't been so lucky. I've already returned one to the retailer (Currys) but the replacement is just as bad.

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows whether it's worth trying another replacement. I read of someone that had exchanged their unit four times before managing to get a quiet one. My fear is that Humax are putting cheaper, non-AV/Video drives in their later units so that the chance of getting an older, quiet one reduces by the day.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? Am I to put up with a noisy HDD for two years (until the warranty expires), before taking the back off and replacing the HDD with a quiet one? Or is it worth me going back to Currys and trying for a third time?

Thanks!

| Sun 4 Dec 2016 21:40:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Noise is very subjective i.e. what may appear a noisy HDD to you may not bother someone else. How good or bad your hearing is of course is another critical factor.

When I have no other extraneous noise in our lounge (that includes the TV) then I can just about hear our 2000T's HDD making a rhythmic bump and slight chatter as the read/write heads moves across the disk.

Turn on the TV and similar to Manuel instead of 'I know nothing' with me it's 'I hear nothing'.

| Sun 4 Dec 2016 23:55:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

That is true - noise (and perception of noise) is rather subjective. However, in comparison to my PVR-9300T the noise from the HDD on the 2000T is very definitely much louder.

It's not too bad if it's just doing one thing, i.e. recording a single program, or watching live TV - there are periods of relative silence between the audible bits when the heads move. But if it's recording something on one channel and it's been left off standby on another channel, or if it's recording two channels, it constantly chunters away. It's not the chuntering itself I mind, but the fact that it's so loud - it's easily audible on the other side of the lounge. By comparison, I have to have my ear right next to my PVR-9300T to hear its chuntering.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:08:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would also add that the 2000T has IMO definitely been built to a price point at the low end of the scale.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:24:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

I agree - there is simply no comparison in the quality of the 2000T and the 9300T boxes.

I would very happily pay more for better quality - but there appears to be simply no choice at the moment (unless I'm missing something). The FVP-4000T should have been the answer, but given its negative reviews it seems it was released to market way before it should've been. And it sounds like it may be underpowered too, from users' comments on the sluggishness of its UI.

| Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:00:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The Humax name used to be synonymous with good reliable PVRs. However, they now appear to have more mis-steps than winners. Whether that's just the UK market or globally I have no idea.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 0:05:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi binary Dad
    Im in exactly the same situation with a noisy drive and it is very noisy.

There is certainly a batch of these noisy units although others say theirs is very quiet. Theres something going on because an AV drive needs to be acceptable....somethings being done on the cheap here or its a faulty hard drive. If I dared open it I would like to investigate whats inside and why it sharply echoes with head noise. Its a very sharp echoey annoying noise.I dont even think sound damping layers would do much. I can hear the thing from six metres away and it disturbs viewing which is just not acceptable. I can hear it through in my kitchen

I am going to return mine but I dont want to approach Currys who first tried to give me a heavily marked unit bunged back in the box with no packaging. Lucky I was always doubtful as the box looked tampered with and damaged so I opened it in the shop. I wont be shopping there again I can assure you

So I really needed to be happy with the unit they gave me after complaining. Im not because the noise dampens my enthusiasm for the product. Even more than that its annoying and doubly annoying to think others have quiet ones

Im not so its going back. Ive delayed because I feared being given another noisy one and being told im over fussy.

Im just saying its a known issue and I feel quite a few are tolerating it as acceptable.

Problem with humax at the moment is they have gone moch mocha choccy or whatever and we need a standard looking box that actually works well.

I for one have plenty of stuff under the tv so need a box that can stack in necessary. all these chocca/ mocha things with top controls are not much use to me

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 17:42:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

Hi Minstrel SE,

I think you're right in that a lot of people tolerate the noise without necessarily realising it should be quiet, or simply because it's too much hassle to return it. I'm seriously tempted to return it for a second time and hope for 'third time lucky', but returning stuff at Currys is such a hassle - it feels like an inquisition every time I take something back there. If you do decide to return yours again let us know how you got on.

Your comment on the FVP-4000T's mocha chocca scheme made me laugh I'm with you on that - I'd rather Humax spent more money on getting the box right/quiet and less on vanity faux-leather or whatever toppings. I too prefer a standard case that stacks with everything else.

| Tue 6 Dec 2016 21:45:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Binary Dad - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Minstrel SE,
    I think you're right in that a lot of people tolerate the noise without necessarily realising it should be quiet, or simply because it's too much hassle to return it. I'm seriously tempted to return it for a second time and hope for 'third time lucky', but returning stuff at Currys is such a hassle - it feels like an inquisition every time I take something back there. If you do decide to return yours again let us know how you got on.
    Your comment on the FVP-4000T's mocha chocca scheme made me laugh I'm with you on that - I'd rather Humax spent more money on getting the box right/quiet and less on vanity faux-leather or whatever toppings. I too prefer a standard case that stacks with everything else.

Which is why you should have gone to somewhere hassle free like John Lewis or Richer Sounds. Why people shop at the Indian food premises is beyond me.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 0:25:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

Which is why you should have gone to somewhere hassle free like John Lewis or Richer Sounds. Why people shop at the Indian food premises is beyond me.

Too true. I avoid shopping at Currys whenever possible, but John Lewis have been selling only the 1800T for some time.

My experience with John Lewis has always been excellent. I've never shopped with Richer Sounds - but if you're saying they're as good as John Lewis I'll definitely consider them in future.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 11:21:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.