My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Noisy hard drive

(39 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

I've found Richer Sounds very good at sorting out problems and exchanging where necessary.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 13:54:12 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have found Richer Sounds to be just as good as JL when buying electronic goods. They also offer a very long warranty too.

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 14:44:43 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I like Richer Sounds but they are in the next town and I just wanted to pick up a sealed box from the nearest supplier..what could go wrong I thought

I hadnt shopped in the large warehouse stores for many years but my pet peeve is shop returns bunged back in a box........ heavily marked as well like it had heavy careless use......it drives me mad and I forcefully complained as they hurried to get another one from the storeroom. I was demanding a refund but they rushed another one out so fast I may as well not waste the trip

I dont know if I can face that shop again so Im just going to make sure Humax can do something for me.

You can see that it would be pointless taking another sealed box from Currys because it could well be another noisy one.

This is why I have been taking my time and I will be listening to another one perhaps at Richer sounds. I know what Im listening for now and if it loudly rattles up on boot and the heads loudly echo every six seconds I will know its another noisy unit.

You see the problem here is that it could be seen as subjective and I feel the Currys shop staff have no real interest in gauging levels of noise. I feel they will just say its acceptable because its not in their interests to keep getting returns and chance another one being opened if I may not be happy with it Thats why I hate these subjective style issues.

Can you imagine trying to explain a demo of my unit to a young member of staff who just wants to go on their coffee break. Based on experience its an awkward situation and they dont particularly want the unit back.

Same with Humax. I dont want to be returning my as new cosmetics to get back some refurb thats been doing the rounds.

If I do get a quiet one back I will of course let the forum know. I want some proper closure on this as I want to not hear a quiet one working

| Wed 7 Dec 2016 21:11:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

With good recommendations like these I'll definitely remember to consider Richer Sounds in future - thanks.

Minstrel SE, it'll be good to hear how you get on in the store. I've tried that in the past (with TVs) without much success - there always seems to be so much ambient noise everything sounds quiet in the shop. Maybe you'll get on better.

I was mucking about with some old PCs today and it struck me how quiet their HDDs are. I don't know how Humax have managed to get the 2000T's HDD to be quite so loud. I wonder if they've simply dispensed with all kinds of damping with the HDD's mounting - which might also explain why I get HDD vibration (from its spinning) transmitted through to the box too. Oh I do wish I could take the back off and have look.

| Thu 8 Dec 2016 17:09:03 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Binary Dad - 42 minutes ago  » ...it struck me how quiet their HDDs are...

Yes, I find this problem strange. I've installed many HDDs in my PCs and all very low noise level. Recently I put in a WD 2Tb drive which is totally silent. Cost just over £60 so nothing exotic, so what are Humax paying for their 500Gb drives. Is this a problem of poor design causing vibration to be transmitted into the box metalwork rather than actual HDD noise?

| Thu 8 Dec 2016 17:58:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes Ive installed and listened to enough hard drives to know that they are effectively inaudible during operation.

Ive opened an 8000T which didnt have rubber mounts and a 9200T which had some blue dampers(quite a hard material though) between the drive and the mounting plate.

I put some rubber washers in the 8000t but have since disconnected the hard drive as I use it as a spare freeview radio receiver now and its not connected to a screen

However both these units were far better with only a very low hum from the drive spinning. A hum which wasnt distracting, wasnt really audible in that sense and didnt draw the ear.

When I first hear with the HDR 2000T the head noise was quite a shock to me. I couldnt believe it was happening and I never expected a hard drive could even make those noises without being faulty.

I almost had to pinch myself but the noise was still there and got more annoying to me. I have been experimenting with headphones and various speakers but the hard drive noise is still annoying especially in a tense or quiet scene. It can still be heard amongst fairly loud volumes through a soundbar or side speakers.

So next stage is Im emailing Humax to see if that can give me more information for all of us. Thay havent said much at all so far which is not acceptable. I fell the reason they dont say much is they dont want this out in the open and they dont want more returns (they seem to get enough returns already on this unit)

Ideally I want more information on the drives they use and any improvements in later models. I want them to acknowledge that there may be a problem and why that might be

I want them to send me a quiet demo unit so I can compare....cant see that happening as they are not a charity and dont know me from adam

Second choice would be return to them for assessment but I want a guarantee of a new looking one back. I dont send things to test benches because experience has taught me they get marked and damaged.

Talking pot luck from Currys again is unacceptable to me

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 10:46:19 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 hours ago  » 
    Second choice would be return to them for assessment but I want a guarantee of a new looking one back.

The vast majority of people who get exchange units are happy with the exterior appearance.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 13:19:40 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

I fell the reason they dont say much is they dont want this out in the open and they dont want more returns (they seem to get enough returns already on this unit)

I agree. I originally contacted Humax support about the noisy HDD and they suggested reformatting it(!). I did and it made no difference of course. So they said they couldn't do anything else to help and suggested I take it up with the retailer. I took it back to Currys, exchanged it and this second unit is the same. I emailed Humax this morning asking what they suggest I do next, and this was their reply:

If it is as noisy as the first I can only suggest that you once again reach out to the retailer. This is not a known issue to me, hard drive noise is quite an uncommon issue here at the support centre, that's not to say it never happens of course.

I cannot believe that this is "not a known issue" - especially when in the same sentence he admits that they have seen this at the support centre. Clearly Humax have no interest in resolving this, and prefer to leave customers to take pot luck with more retailer exchanges.

| Fri 9 Dec 2016 21:14:30 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Binary Dad - 9 hours ago  » ...I cannot believe that this is "not a known issue"...

Unless things at the support centre have have improved enormously in the past two years, based on my experience with the Freesat boxes thru 2012-2014, then they are essentially clueless and useless.

| Sat 10 Dec 2016 6:57:07 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 day ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 2 hours ago  » 
    Second choice would be return to them for assessment but I want a guarantee of a new looking one back.

The vast majority of people who get exchange units are happy with the exterior appearance.

Well yes I admire your optimism and thats the way it should be. However Ive had a lifetime of experiences which worry me more than that...from people taking an electric drill to open a handheld console to damage or a more marked unit returning.

I refer you to Binary dads experiences with trying to get a quiet one and it can be giant brick wall.

Ive emailed Humax for more specific help and information

| Sat 10 Dec 2016 18:00:21 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.