My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Noisy hard drive

(39 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ianhobsonuk

Has anyone tried this yet...

HOWEVER, I've discovered that if I record the channel I'm watching (as well as the one I want to record) and delete it later, the noise is reduced to almost nothing.

...it seems to work.

I bought the 2000T because it was a Which? best buy. And, apart from the noise issue, it beats my old Sagecom machine by miles.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 12:28:00 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Binary Dad

I've given up.

To my mind these HDR-2000T units are not fit for purpose. Humax should never have been selling these as they are. It's pretty obvious they're cut costs to the point where the product is simply not acceptable. I took my old PVR-9300T apart last night - it has a super quiet AV drive, mounted on rubber bushes. I'm guessing that most HDR-2000Ts are fitted with standard (non-AV) drives and, going on the vibration transmitted through to the case, bolted directly to the chassis rather than mounted on rubber bushes.

Got back home, got online and bought a BT YouView box instead. £140 from Amazon. I paid extra to get it delivered overnight so the family can start recording Christmas programmes straight away. It feels much better quality, the remote is nicer (not 'clicky' like the HDR-2000T's), and the user interface is slick. It's slower than the HDR-2000T's and, to my mind, not as intuitive, but we'll get used to it. Because, best of all, it's QUIET!

Now I can put this whole sorry episode behind me. Minstrel SE, if you think you won't mind the YouView interface I recommend a BT YouView box. If enough people return their noisy HDR-2000T units Humax might finally get the message that it's not acceptable. But I doubt it.

Admin Edit: Some content from this post has been deleted at request of originator.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 15:12:07 #32 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

not fit for purpose.

An overused stupid phrase 99% of the time used in completely the wrong context

Got back home, got online and bought a BT YouView box instead. £140 from Amazon. I paid extra to get it delivered overnight so the family can start recording Christmas programmes straight away. It feels much better quality, the remote is nicer (not 'clicky' like the HDR-2000T's), and the user interface is slick. It's slower than the HDR-2000T's and, to my mind, not as intuitive, but we'll get used to it. Because, best of all, it's QUIET!

BT Youview units are made by Humax

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 16:32:42 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Binary Dad - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm guessing that most HDR-2000Ts are fitted with standard (non-AV) drives and, going on the vibration transmitted through to the case, bolted directly to the chassis rather than mounted on rubber bushes.

They will be AV drives as they're cheaper to make. Most likely Seagate pipeline made in China.
    Nobody seems to have commented on how they are mounted though. The older products have the drive in an enclosure and suspended on rubber mounts so completely isolated. The newer ones, fvp4000t for example has the drive screwed directly to the box. Having said that though the box is whisper quiet in operation, although applying pressure in certain places can cause resonance.

There's likely to be a difference in noise from different capacity sized drives. They are made as cheaply as possible and some single platter 500GB drives almost sound hollow and no amount of isolation or special mounting will stop the noise. Mix into that different batches and how poster ianhobsonuk has noticed, loading the drive and hitting a sweet spot where the data is streamed uniformly to the drive can actually make it quieter. Presumably there will be a difference in noise whether the box is tuned to HD or SD when idle as it records the live content to buffer.

'Tis the season of goodwill and remember most high street shops employ people on virtually minimum wage (working poor) whilst the boss can be seen in Monaco of off in a private jet. Quite often the people on the shop floor don't get trained, have no career path with the benefit of zero hour contracts and most are simply doing the best they can.
    Also we're not talking about a £5,000 piece of esoteric product or a vastly over priced heavily marketed must-have latest gadget where you can be beguiled or schmoozed by a sales person on targets.
    I'm pleased the £140 BT youview works for you, horses for courses I guess as I struggled with youview.

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 18:24:25 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Binary Dad - 7 hours ago  » 
    I've given up.
    To my mind these HDR-2000T units are not fit for purpose. Humax should never have been selling these as they are. It's pretty obvious they're cut costs to the point where the product is simply not acceptable. I took my old PVR-9300T apart last night - it has a super quiet AV drive, mounted on rubber bushes. I'm guessing that most HDR-2000Ts are fitted with standard (non-AV) drives and, going on the vibration transmitted through to the case, bolted directly to the chassis rather than mounted on rubber bushes.
    Now I can put this whole sorry episode behind me. Minstrel SE, if you think you won't mind the YouView interface I recommend a BT YouView box. If enough people return their noisy HDR-2000T units Humax might finally get the message that it's not acceptable. But I doubt it.
    Admin Edit: Some content from this post has been deleted at request of originator.

I totally agree with you Binary dad.
    Im just building up to trying to get a refund from Currys. I may try another model if offered but Im not having another 2000T.

All I ever wanted was to be happy with the product. I had no interest in bigging up my issues on forums but this product has been a big disappointment

I will consider the box you mentioned and Im glad you have found it to be quiet. I think it is made by Humax but I know with a sigh of relief you wont care.

I tried the youview on a Huawei 360 but didnt want to use that feature. The Huawei went to my dad and he says it works fine (it was just a tester unit to test my aerial)

Leave it with me. It was good to hear from you and one thing I am sure about is that the two of us weren't making it up or being unreasonable We havent had any support from Humax and we both know why.

Leave it with me. Best wishes to you

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 23:09:50 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

damian - 5 hours ago  » 

Binary Dad - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm guessing that most HDR-2000Ts are fitted with standard (non-AV) drives and, going on the vibration transmitted through to the case, bolted directly to the chassis rather than mounted on rubber bushes.

They will be AV drives as they're cheaper to make. Most likely Seagate pipeline made in China.
    Nobody seems to have commented on how they are mounted though. The older products have the drive in an enclosure and suspended on rubber mounts so completely isolated. The newer ones, fvp4000t for example has the drive screwed directly to the box. Having said that though the box is whisper quiet in operation, although applying pressure in certain places can cause resonance.
    There's likely to be a difference in noise from different capacity sized drives. They are made as cheaply as possible and some single platter 500GB drives almost sound hollow and no amount of isolation or special mounting will stop the noise. Mix into that different batches and how poster ianhobsonuk has noticed, loading the drive and hitting a sweet spot where the data is streamed uniformly to the drive can actually make it quieter. Presumably there will be a difference in noise whether the box is tuned to HD or SD when idle as it records the live content to buffer.
    'Tis the season of goodwill and remember most high street shops employ people on virtually minimum wage (working poor) whilst the boss can be seen in Monaco of off in a private jet. Quite often the people on the shop floor don't get trained, have no career path with the benefit of zero hour contracts and most are simply doing the best they can.
    Also we're not talking about a £5,000 piece of esoteric product or a vastly over priced heavily marketed must-have latest gadget where you can be beguiled or schmoozed by a sales person on targets.
    I'm pleased the £140 BT youview works for you, horses for courses I guess as I struggled with youview.

You see I expected Humax to say oh it shouldnt be that noisy and to definately sort it out for me with a bit of hands on support for a quiet unit...they clearly arent bothered

Seagate talk about sea tools on their page and a drive shouldnt be too noisy but I cant deal directly with them because they havent sold me anything.

Ive been inside two Humax units so I do have some knowledge about drives...Im not an over fussy geek...this thing is plain noisy

What I dont understand is how a hard drive could be designed this way so it must be faulty or just substandard in its cheapness.

faults or indeed cheaper drives come in large batches. Several people say the replacement was just as noisy so if you think Im setting up another on my shelf to take pot luck...well Im not prepared to do that because it reduces my case every time to the point where Currys may think Im messing them around

I dont even know the drive without looking inside but I could end up on a wild goose chase of replacing it myself.

Im building up to a Currys refund...leave it with me

| Sat 17 Dec 2016 23:37:08 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Mine has been switched on without TV all afternoon whilst I have been reading. Apart from the rhythmic bump noise it makes approx every 7 seconds or so, that's all I really hear.

| Mon 19 Dec 2016 17:52:24 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 
    Mine has been switched on without TV all afternoon whilst I have been reading. Apart from the rhythmic bump noise it makes approx every 7 seconds or so, that's all I really hear.

Well it failed that test for me a while ago. I couldnt even concentrate on my book. Its not just every six seconds its almost a random pattern or bursts or single ticks every two seconds every few seconds or whenever it likes. Even if it was regular it would be annoying because its too loud to be treated like a ticking clock and is nothing that blends into the background of a comfortable living room

My hearing isnt all that good after years of loud headphones so its not even that I have sensitive ears.

leave it with me now. I will only post again when Ive sorted it out with a refund, exchange or repair.

| Tue 20 Dec 2016 20:41:12 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 1 day ago  » 

Well it failed that test for me a while ago. I couldnt even concentrate on my book. Its not just every six seconds its almost a random pattern of bursts or single ticks every two seconds every few seconds or whenever it likes. Even if it was regular it would be annoying because its too loud to be treated like a ticking clock and is nothing that blends into the background of a comfortable living room

My hearing isnt all that good after years of loud headphones so its not even that I have sensitive ears.

leave it with me now. I will only post again when Ive sorted it out with a refund, exchange or repair.

| Tue 20 Dec 2016 20:44:12 #39 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.