My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy HDD on Humax FVP 5000T

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

GCDBONES123

Tend to agree that Humax aim to hit a price point which the market dictates. Yes the 5000 is not an expensive machine but as it stands today probably carries a £50 premium over its main competitor from Panasonic (I could have had £1TB Panasonic model for £30 less than 500GB Humax though found prior Panasonic model far too slow).

Like you guys I have been with Humax for many years and have always considered them to be the gold standard of PVR manufacturers. Every machine they made that I have owned had minor issues but I’ve also been very frustrated with Panasonic PVR’s so appreciated the Humax offering. A shame that their slight so what attitude to the noise issue has really put a dent in my brand loyalty, especially when what we’re talking about could probably be resolved with ~£1 worth of rubber mounting and insulation material. (Though maybe I’m unaware of heat issues?) My last 2 Humax models both had annoying ‘features’ that I just don’t expect from the brand.

Think the PVR market may well be shrinking anyway, as is the subscription market from Sky and Virgin in favour of streaming. Having just updated both my TV’s they both have inbuilt PVR and catch up/streaming functionality as well as media player capabilities that would probably suffice for most people. (Or an Amazon Firestick for £30 achieving most of the same) I do think there would be a market for people who still appreciate a PVR’s flexibility and would be prepared to pay more for that but maybe the market just doesn’t exist? Though if you look at MP3 Players being killed by smart phones the only market left now is for high end connoisseurs?

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 17:10:18 #41 |
  2. aciddad

aciddad

special member

I've got two FVP-4000Ts, both refurbished from HumaxDirect. The oldest has a noisy drive (ticking from the head servo I suspect), the newest is quiet.
    I've looked at trying to reduce the noise but the drive is mounted directly onto the case and plugs into connectors on the pcb. Taking the 4 screws out allowed me to raise the drive away from the case but the noise level stays the same. In use the noise is not really noticeable.
    Of course Humax are looking to keep cost down, but I very much doubt that Seagate are supplying anything other than their normal top quality drives. But they will only be batch tested and a less than perfect one is always possible.
    As for an alternative, what is there? I haven't looked recently but the Panasonics that were available were two restricted for my liking.

David.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 17:44:40 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I generally agree with what you are all saying but what price point dictated the market and is that not just a recipe for catering to the lowest common denominator customer?

I would have been in the market for say a £300 plus player and I just would have stuck that on my credit card if it was a quality product I had faith in.

I was looking for a standard looking box with a lineage from the 9300 and the Fox. I thought Humax had got the economies of scale with the 2000 and we all like a buy which appears to save the pennies. I know the 4000 and 5000 are priced higher but the chocca mocca looks and top mounted controls arent my cup of tea.

In the real world a tv shelving system gets crowded and I like stacking boxes and not fashion statements.

I dont feel comfortable any more in the £150 to say £250 price sector because margins are tight when VAT and everthing is accounted for.

Now I would have thought that any bad batch of drives would have set an alarm claxon off at the Seagate factory. The servo/heads on that drive seems too loud but I had little experience of what a High definition always buffering TV drive does.

It wasnt right though because it would disturb tv viewing at any volume.

The experience of Humax customer service was a shock and they just said take it back. No offer to guide me to a fine product or make me feel better. In not so many words is was tough luck and take it back buddy. Almost as if they hadnt made the thing and were taking no responsibility. Im not sure I would trust them again as that creates a bad feeling.

So if its a lowest common denominator market with no customer aftercare what is Humax coming to? We are the people paying our money to state the obvious

I think there is a market for what I want and Im not sure Humax will cater for it again. This is why I watch what is being said about the 4000 and 5000.

Best wishes

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 3:16:42 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » So if its a lowest common denominator market with no customer aftercare what is Humax coming to?

It's certainly losing them sales of premium products.

I'd have much preferred a 2TB or even a 1TB 5000T but they're only available from Humax Direct and I'd never deal with them after what I've read about their customer service.

Buying from Argos I can be absolutely sure of a no-questions-asked exchange or refund for any trivial reason up to a year after the purchase date.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 15:40:45 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pangolynx

So, an update from my OP. I am encouraged, albeit disappointingly, that there appears to be quite a bit of evidence of noisy HDDs on FVP 5000T units...its not just me! I sent mine back to the retailer (a small independent) who assured me after testing, it was OK, normal and quiet. However I requested a replacement nonetheless. The new unit still emits noise, background whirring with a regular chattering of the HDD. It is not on glass, but a sturdy wooden chest, as its hollow, it could be amplifying slightly? I now have it placed on an old mouse mat which has improved it a bit. But I can still hear a noise. My conclusion is they are either not good enough quality, or there are large batches of faulty HDDs. Generally unimpressed by Humax. So I will live with it for now, but probably upgrade to something better at some point. In future I will look to buy from a mainstream supplier e.g. Argos, as it will be easier to get an exchange/refund.

| Tue 20 Mar 2018 12:42:53 #45 |
  6. andysue

andysue

Pangolynx - 11 hours ago  » 
    So, an update from my OP. I am encouraged, albeit disappointingly, that there appears to be quite a bit of evidence of noisy HDDs on FVP 5000T units...its not just me! I sent mine back to the retailer (a small independent) who assured me after testing, it was OK, normal and quiet. However I requested a replacement nonetheless. The new unit still emits noise, background whirring with a regular chattering of the HDD. It is not on glass, but a sturdy wooden chest, as its hollow, it could be amplifying slightly? I now have it placed on an old mouse mat which has improved it a bit. But I can still hear a noise. My conclusion is they are either not good enough quality, or there are large batches of faulty HDDs. Generally unimpressed by Humax. So I will live with it for now, but probably upgrade to something better at some point. In future I will look to buy from a mainstream supplier e.g. Argos, as it will be easier to get an exchange/refund.

Dont live with it, return it. If everyone lived with them & didnt return them Humax wont know there is a problem.
    The 4000T that I bought as mentioned earlier is still ok. I had a problem with the remote that it was intermittent. I told them about it, tried different channels & new it was faulty because my Harmony worked flawlessly. They replaced the reomote from Humax & that one is perfect. So sometimes they listen.

| Wed 21 Mar 2018 0:13:35 #46 |
  7. quincunx

quincunx

I purchased a Humax FVP-5000T (1TB model) from John Lewis on 19 March 2018. I have been trying to ignore the intermittent whirring tickety tick sound described by Pangolynx and matching the mp3 recording posted by Marius because I have been reluctant to admit that I have a faulty unit. Unfortunately my experience of replacements from Humax has not been good as it took three replacements of a faulty YouView box before receiving a satisfactory fully functioning unit! I have a 2 year warranty with both John Lewis and Humax. Who should I return it to ... John Lewis or Humax? Comments and advice would be very much appreciated.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 16:07:16 #47 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

quincunx - 59 minutes ago  » 
    I purchased a Humax FVP-5000T (1TB model) from John Lewis on 19 March 2018. I have been trying to ignore the intermittent whirring tickety tick sound described by Pangolynx and matching the mp3 recording posted by Marius because I have been reluctant to admit that I have a faulty unit. Unfortunately my experience of replacements from Humax has not been good as it took three replacements of a faulty YouView box before receiving a satisfactory fully functioning unit! I have a 2 year warranty with both John Lewis and Humax. Who should I return it to ... John Lewis or Humax? Comments and advice would be very much appreciated.

Talk to John Lewis. My 5000T is inaudible except for a slight noise as the HDD spins up on boot. If they have a demo unit listen to that one.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:08:45 #48 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Retailer, JL in this instance is responsible for sorting out your issues.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:09:39 #49 |
  10. quincunx

quincunx

Thanks for your advice. I'll pop into John Lewis tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:15:44 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.