My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy HDD on Humax FVP 5000T

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

One solution would be to replace the internal drive with a smaller laptop style drive (3.5"). These are much quieter than their 5.25" brethren.

Has anyone replaced the hard drive in an FVP-5/4000?

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:24:26 #51 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scgf - 57 seconds ago  » 
    One solution would be to replace the internal drive with a smaller laptop style drive (3.5"). These are much quieter than their 5.25" brethren.

I have but with a 2TB Seagate pipeline, neither the original 500GB or the new 2TB was/is noisy.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:26:38 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

scgf - 17 minutes ago  » 

Hard drives come in two basic physical sizes: 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch. These sizes refer to the size of the data platters, not the size of the hard drive mechanism. Traditionally, 2.5-inch drives are used for laptops while 3.5-inch drives are used for desktop computers.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 17:42:08 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

Lol! My mistake. Of course, 3.5 and 2.5 inch drives. Think I was going back to the era of floppy disks!

The smaller 2.5" drives are usually much quieter than the 3.5" versions - that's what I was trying to say. A 2.5" drive in a caddy to replace the 3.5" drive currently in the FVP-4/5000T would surely make a difference.

My FVP-4000T is inside a cabinet across the room from where I usually sit and I can clearly hear it chuntering away. My BT YouView box has a 2.5" drive and is more or less silent.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 18:02:53 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

It took Humax two weeks to reply to two contact forms and an email about a noisy hard drive which claims to be a 24/48 hour response time. This was last week so I haven’t returned it yet but will do when convenient.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 18:11:10 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

Well, I had a WD Green 1TB HDD going spare, so I popped the top off my FVP-4000T and replaced the 500GB Seagate with the WD Green. I booted up and formatted the new drive, did a HDD Test (under Settings/Storage) and all was well. I sat down to set up my schedule again and was shocked to find all my planned recordings were there! Where are they stored then? Maybe online?

The WD Green is quieter than the Seagate it replaced, and I now have double the storage! I'm going to put the orginal drive in a USB caddy so I can watch my previous recordings.

Thought others might find this useful.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 18:40:45 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

The original drive in a usb caddy didn't let me view my recordings. It looks like I should have connected a drive and used the FVP-4000T menus to move the recordings from the internal drive to the external drive before I did the upgrade. I'm not that bothered - I can watch everything on catch-up and I did take a photo of the recordings screen before I did anything

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 19:13:33 #57 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scgf - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, I had a WD Green 1TB HDD going spare, so I popped the top off my FVP-4000T and replaced the 500GB Seagate with the WD Green. I booted up and formatted the new drive, did a HDD Test (under Settings/Storage) and all was well. I sat down to set up my schedule again and was shocked to find all my planned recordings were there! Where are they stored then? Maybe online?
    The WD Green is quieter than the Seagate it replaced, and I now have double the storage! I'm going to put the orginal drive in a USB caddy so I can watch my previous recordings.
    Thought others might find this useful.

The recording schedule is in NVram (Non Volatile Random Access Memory).
    Same happened to me when I upgraded to 2TB.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 19:45:26 #58 |
  9. quincunx

quincunx

Before returning the noisy unit to John Lewis, I phoned their national Technical Support Helpline. They advised me to take it the Birmingham store for possible testing to see if the problem could be replicated. When I visited the store yesterday and explained the issue they simply offered to provide a replacement: no testing or quibbles! There were no 1TB models in store so they ordered one from their central warehouse. I collected it this morning. After installing the unit I found that it had exactly the same intermittent clickity-click sound as the original. When I’m watching a programme it can’t be heard and doesn’t bother me too much. Since there’s no guarantee that another replacement will be any different, I’ve decided to live with it.

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 15:47:25 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

I've been using my upgraded FVP-4000T for three days now and I haven't heard the WD Green drive once. No issues with simultaneous recordings or anything else for that matter. Nice not to have that drumming HD sound over anything else I'm listening to.

| Fri 30 Mar 2018 17:19:12 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.