My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy HDD on Humax FVP 5000T

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pangolynx

I have recently purchased a Humax FVP 5000T Feeview Box. I am generally happy with its performance and function, however it is surprisingly noisy. It emits a whirring sound much of the time and the occasional tickety tick tick sound, which sounds like the hard drive is working overtime. This has caused us to position the box on the carpeted floor to try to dampen the noise. I am considering returning the box for a refund or replacement. Is this normal? or have we got a faulty device? Any advice appreciated.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 10:44:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My 2TB is near silent. Only time I can hear the HDD without putting my ear next to it is when the HDD runs up during the boot process and there is no audio output.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 11:05:23 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Pangolynx - 55 minutes ago  » 
    I have recently purchased a Humax FVP 5000T Feeview Box. I am generally happy with its performance and function, however it is surprisingly noisy. It emits a whirring sound much of the time and the occasional tickety tick tick sound, which sounds like the hard drive is working overtime. This has caused us to position the box on the carpeted floor to try to dampen the noise. I am considering returning the box for a refund or replacement. Is this normal? or have we got a faulty device? Any advice appreciated.

Welcome to our Forum

My FVP 5000T is less then 2 metres from me and I cannot hear anything.

Suggest you return for replacement.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 11:41:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

I had a similar experience and posted an MP3 recording of the noise:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/mp3-recording-of-alarming-5000t-hd-noise

I took grahamlthompson's advice and was thankful I purchased the 5000T from Argos, who replaced it with a minimum of fuss (I was so confident they would that I took the liberty of reserving a replacement online, to ensure one was in stock).

It must have been a dud because the replacement is virtually silent.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 12:25:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I have a 4000 and I can hear mine chattering away often, not all the time but often and sometimes when it isn’t even recording. I sit a bit over 6 feet from the unit.

You could try some acoustic feet as I have them on my HDR and they work wonders. I wouldn’t recommend sitting it on carpet as you could be blocking airflow and cause the unit to overheat.

I just accept that’s it’s a mechanical device with moving parts

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 14:16:45 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Harters - 56 seconds ago  » 
    I have a 4000 and I can hear mine chattering away often, not all the time but often and sometimes when it isn’t even recording. I sit a bit over 6 feet from the unit.
    You could try some acoustic feet as I have them on my HDR and they work wonders. I wouldn’t recommend sitting it on carpet as you could be blocking airflow and cause the unit to overheat.
    I just accept that’s it’s a mechanical device with moving parts

If it's booted it records the current channel all the time to create the time shift buffer. I am sitting about 1.5M from my FVP-5000T and it's totally inaudible.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 14:19:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pangolynx

Thank you for your comments. I'm starting to think it is probably a faulty unit. As I've only been using it for 4 days, I will send it back for a replacement. Nothing much to lose other than being without a box for a few days.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 15:02:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

If it's booted it records the current channel all the time to create the time shift buffer. I am sitting about 1.5M from my FVP-5000T and it's totally inaudible.

I understand about the buffer, I should have made it clearer that I meant an actual scheduled recording

As mine is out of warranty now I am thinking of getting a quieter drive as I am very sensitive to picking up the kind of noise a drive makes as the one I have is very chattery compared to the one I have in my HDR.

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 19:24:23 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Harters - 1 hour ago  » 

I understand about the buffer, I should have made it clearer that I meant an actual scheduled recording
    As mine is out of warranty now I am thinking of getting a quieter drive as I am very sensitive to picking up the kind of noise a drive makes as the one I have is very chattery compared to the one I have in my HDR.

On the shelf above my FVP-5000T is a HDR-1000S and both are recording and they are inaudible. Both have the same hard drive.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000VM003-Pipeline-3-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B008B0RQ1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1517859118&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+2tb+pipeline&dpID=41qrq25FWiL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

| Mon 5 Feb 2018 20:32:38 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Icebun

Just picking up this thread.

I have a 2TB FVP 5000T and whilst the drive is quite once on, I do hear what can simply describe as a whirling sound as the unit boot up, which I guess is the Hard Drive spinning up.

Is this normal?

| Tue 6 Feb 2018 20:30:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.