My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

not fit for purpose

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gary g

Hi all
    Where to start with the pvr4000t. Initially everything seemed ok after set up. Played around getting used to new guide, settings, recording etc. Noticed most of the HD channels were missing, gleaned the info from this site to set up channels manually, this i have done.
    Problems are,
    1. the box is intermittant/sluggish when switching on.
    2. the first programmed recording of the day doesnt record until the box is on. I have tried adjusting the power/sleep settings doesnt cure it. I have tried leaving the box on and in standby during the day and the scheduled program will record but if i leave it in standby overnight it will not.
    3. i have tried a software update, it says there are none.

Having read all the woes on this site i will be doing a system factory reset. Manually setting up channels and try again. Then if no joy it will be going back to Richer Sounds and get a refund.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Gary

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 15:15:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Gary g - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi all
    Where to start with the pvr4000t. Initially everything seemed ok after set up. Played around getting used to new guide, settings, recording etc. Noticed most of the HD channels were missing, gleaned the info from this site to set up channels manually, this i have done.
    Problems are,
    1. the box is intermittant/sluggish when switching on.
    2. the first programmed recording of the day doesnt record until the box is on. I have tried adjusting the power/sleep settings doesnt cure it. I have tried leaving the box on and in standby during the day and the scheduled program will record but if i leave it in standby overnight it will not.
    3. i have tried a software update, it says there are none.
    Having read all the woes on this site i will be doing a system factory reset. Manually setting up channels and try again. Then if no joy it will be going back to Richer Sounds and get a refund.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Gary

Not that this helps you but I'm sure having read all the many posts on this and other forums regarding the FVP4000T you are (as an early adopter) being used as a beta tester. Humax are not the only manufacturer to do this, in fact it appears to be the norm these days. I however consider the practice to be a disgrace.

Companies don't appear to care about the weeks of wasted effort and frustration for their customers. The attitude seems to be that once it is all sorted the bad press will be forgotten and like buses there will be more customers coming along any minute.

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 17:37:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gary g

Thanks Faust. I rather gathered that after doing some research, pity i didn't take notice of that fact before i bought it. My wife uses this, she just informed me half of her recordings have disappeared !!!!!! shes not a happy bunny. Did the usual power reset, hey presto they are back. i'll give it a few days to do what i said in my original post then its a refund from Richer Sounds me thinks. Any ideas on what alternative pvr to buy?

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 17:47:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Your problems are essentially the same as those encountered by the early users of the Freetime satellite boxes (HDR1000s/1010S). Humax seem to have a unique talent for delivering a turd that after lots of polishing becomes a rose. I have 1 x HDR1000S and 3 x HB1000S all of which I'm very happy with, but that certainly was not the case for the first two years of my HDR as it's only in the past year that it has become stable, persuading me to then buy the HB's. If you're prepared to stick with it you may find you have a rose, not the turd you currently have.

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 18:42:05 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Your box has successfully trained you in what to do and what not to do.

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 19:46:25 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

What software version do you have on your unit?

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 20:49:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Gary g - i'll give it a few days to do what i said in my original post then its a refund from Richer Sounds me thinks. Any ideas on what alternative pvr to buy?

Depends on what you want from a PVR Gary. If you are not too bothered about the catch up backwards EPG then the 2000T although not the best specified and glamorous Humax PVR does do what it says on the tin. You do get some apps including BBC iPlayer etc.

If you want to go down the satellite route then as Pollensa says the 1000s/1010s is a pretty good product.

I have both of the above.

| Tue 19 Jan 2016 23:29:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Are you sure you are setting it correctly? Are you sure that the programme is transmitting the timing signals? Test it with a different programme on BBC. I don't get this problem at all.

The workaround for the "can't switch on" is either to unplug the HDMI cable completely, and use composite; or disable any HTMI on/off capability in the TV. We don't yet know if the HDMI problem is a Humax problem or a TV problem.

As a professional engineer, I am slightly more sanguine about new equipment. The manufacturer cannot possibly test it with every combination of devices users will connect to it and can only test it to the standards of the interface. If any of these thousands of possible devices is out of spec, "the Humax does not work". Make sure you are blaming the right thing. If you choose to be an "early adopter" then don't judge Humax on whether there are minor teething problems - judge them on how quickly they fix them. And always remember that "User Friendly" means something, however difficult to use, with which you are familiar.

And don't forget that it while it costs only a few hundreds of pounds it has far more complex software and systems that was used on, for example, the space shuttle or Apollo moon shots.

See the post about C5 and 5 USA programmes not being recorded at the proper times - it is C5 and 5 USA's fault.

My Humax is

Model Name: FVP-4000T
    S/w version: UKTFAE 1.00.63
    Loader version: UKTFAE 1.03
    System ID: 9010.7D31
    Update date: 16 Oct 2015

I think release 59 and 63 are identical.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 12:03:03 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gary g

JohnH77 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Are you sure you are setting it correctly? Are you sure that the programme is transmitting the timing signals? Test it with a different programme on BBC. I don't get this problem at all.
    The workaround for the "can't switch on" is either to unplug the HDMI cable completely, and use composite; or disable any HTMI on/off capability in the TV. We don't yet know if the HDMI problem is a Humax problem or a TV problem.
    As a professional engineer, I am slightly more sanguine about new equipment. The manufacturer cannot possibly test it with every combination of devices users will connect to it and can only test it to the standards of the interface. If any of these thousands of possible devices is out of spec, "the Humax does not work". Make sure you are blaming the right thing. If you choose to be an "early adopter" then don't judge Humax on whether there are minor teething problems - judge them on how quickly they fix them. And always remember that "User Friendly" means something, however difficult to use, with which you are familiar.
    And don't forget that it while it costs only a few hundreds of pounds it has far more complex software and systems that was used on, for example, the space shuttle or Apollo moon shots.
    See the post about C5 and 5 USA programmes not being recorded at the proper times - it is C5 and 5 USA's fault.
    My Humax is
    I think release 59 and 63 are identical.

Hi John

Like you, i to have thirty years in the electrical PLC maintenance/programming trade.

I have checked the HDMI-CEC on my tv, it is set to off already.
    I have tried setting several other programmes to no avail.

My humax is the same as yours. As of yet no updates since launch.

I have not tried recording anything off C5 or 5 USA

I have approached the problems logically and gleaned information from many sources....much appreciated, but my conclusion is, this bit of kit no matter how much electronics, bells and whistles it has on it......IT HAS NOT BEEN DEBUGGED to the standard where it should even be on the market.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 20:53:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gary g

Barry - 1 day ago  » 
    What software version do you have on your unit?

Hi Barry

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 20:54:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.