My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

not fit for purpose

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gary g

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 
    Your box has successfully trained you in what to do and what not to do.

The trouble is, this box was bought for my wife and im getting it in the neck for all the teething problems. If i had sole control over it i would love the challenge to whip it into order. I fear i would fail with reading all about the phone calls and e mails sent to an unresponsive manufacturer. The worrying post was the one about the technical director allegedly leaving the company.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 21:00:09 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Gary g - 1 hour ago  » 

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 

The trouble is, this box was bought for my wife and im getting it in the neck for all the teething problems. If i had sole control over it i would love the challenge to whip it into order. I fear i would fail with reading all about the phone calls and e mails sent to an unresponsive manufacturer. The worrying post was the one about the technical director allegedly leaving the company.

My remark wasn't meant seriously. I was referring to Pollensa's experience of the HDR-1000S transforming from a troublesome box to a satisfactory one.

I'm not very tolerant of troublesome boxes myself. I'd send it back. Good luck if you decide to stick with the challenge.

| Wed 20 Jan 2016 22:21:17 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Gary g
    I have approached the problems logically and gleaned information from many sources...but my conclusion is this bit of kit ... IT HAS NOT BEEN DEBUGGED to the standard where it should even be on the market.

You must have done more work than me, and have a much more detailed knowledge of the internals of the Humax and the standards involved, because I have been unable to establish whether the HDMI problem is with the Humax or the TV because, as far as I can see, it could be with either.

As for its being "fit for purpose" I am quite certain that Humax never has claimed, and never will claim, it is "fit for purpose" - and no sane manufacturer ever would. It was virtually a sackable offence where I worked to use those terribly expensive and dangerous words in a contract!

All Humax, and every other manufacturer from Apple to Zinga, will claim is that a box meets the standards they publish for it. If it is connected to another box which does not meet those standards, it will, of course, fail - but it will not be the Humax's fault.

My PVR-4000T does not have the problems you report.

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 1:58:58 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

All the FVP4000T boxes are currently still under warranty so can be returned if there's a problem, whether it's just that particular box or more widespread. There's bound to be some problems when a new box is launched, especially with hybrid boxes with all their complexities both end-user-side and server-side, and with multiple fingers in the pie. Only Humax has the numbers, but the FVP4000T doesn't seem to be doing badly so far, just going by reports posted to forums. Certainly nothing like YouView's disastrous early days.

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 9:29:26 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Gary g - 15 hours ago  » 

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 

Once the wife/partner gets involved this is where marital harmony gets tested. I have to often found myself in this unenviable position - you extol the virtues of this or that possible purchase and then when it doesn't do what it should it's all your fault - not the manufacturer. You are the one that wanted it, that said how good it was, you said it was the answer to all your prayers, the pointing finger, the self-righteous indignation. I've got into a sweat just typing these words, I can actually hear them being spoken in my head.

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 12:55:29 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.