My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Optimal signal strength on the 5000T?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

For a while I have been noticing occasional breakup on recordings and wonder if it is due to excessive signal strength. I have always seen Quality shown as 100% with Signal being about 86%, varying slightly over the various Mux.

I am wondering if 86% is borderline excessive and would be interested to hear what others see as too high.

I have just fitted an adjustable attenuator which I have had in the drawer for a while, so I can tweak the signal.

I would be grateful for opinions on the optimal signal strength while maintaining 100% quality.

| Wed 12 Jul 2023 22:25:52 #1 |
  2. prking

prking

This sounds more like interference than a signal quality issue.

That sort of thing can happen with fluorescent lights turning on, unsuppressed motors in fridges, central heating or some motorbikes.

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 5:38:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

A1944 - 11 hours ago  » 
    For a while I have been noticing occasional breakup on recordings and wonder if it is due to excessive signal strength. I have always seen Quality shown as 100% with Signal being about 86%, varying slightly over the various Mux.
    I am wondering if 86% is borderline excessive and would be interested to hear what others see as too high.
    I have just fitted an adjustable attenuator which I have had in the drawer for a while, so I can tweak the signal.

I usually advise aiming for 80% signal strength but if you have a variable attenuator then I would suggest you experiment. I would expect a any signal strength above 50% to give 100% quality in most cases. Another possible cause of occasional breakup is a hard drive that is reallocating sectors; taking the hard drive out and looking at the SMART data would tell you if this is the case.

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:05:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks folks. As for impulse interference, there is no obvious source anywhere near the TV, cabling or roof mounted aerial.

Thanks for the 80% thought Martin. Yes, I will experiment. As for examining the hard drive, I wouldn't have the faintest clue how to go about that, as I am not at all technically minded when it comes to digital equipment.

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 11:44:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I'm pretty sure strength is not really relevant. It is quality which is important.

Are you using old fashioned analogue coax? It is useless for digital as the shielding is useless. Use proper satellite coax with a complete foil sheath.

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 1:06:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks for the thought. However, the problem is not severe enough to warrant tearing the house apart to change the coax on the odd chance that it is the reason. I can live with it. Whenever I check, the quality is showing as a solid 100%.

| Thu 20 Jul 2023 7:49:39 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.