My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Pause, record & playback / storage setting stop!

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wellnevermind

Hi, I bought an FVP-5000T just 4 days ago and so far it has yet to work as I believe it should.

For example: When viewing a channel and pressing the pause button, I constantly get the this function does not work message... I have done 3 factory resets including formatting, and then the machine works at it should do for a while but then stops again.

As well as live pause not working, record does not work when simply pressing the record button when viewing a channel. Again, I have done 3 factory resets, and then the machine works at it should do for a while but then stops again.

As well as those, when going to settings > PVR Settings > both Playback Options and Storage become greyed out and cannot be chosen. Once again, if a factory reset is done, they can be chosen for a while but then stops again.

It is as if that just after a factory reset the hard disk is operational and therefore pause, record and the playback and storage settings are working again. But after a while, the hard disk stops working until another factory reset is done.

Any ideas or do I just need to take it back for a refund?

| Tue 16 Apr 2019 21:04:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wellnevermind - 23 minutes ago  » 
    As well as those, when going to settings > PVR Settings > both Playback Options and Storage become greyed out and cannot be chosen. Once again, if a factory reset is done, they can be chosen for a while but then stops again.

Various settings will be grayed out while the box is recording (or thinks it should be recording).

[It is as if that just after a factory reset the hard disk is operational and therefore pause, record and the playback and storage settings are working again. But after a while, the hard disk stops working until another factory reset is done.

It doesn't sound good but I would suggest contacting Humax support by telephone to check whether they have any ideas. If not take it back to the supplier for an exchange as although the FVP boxes have quirks they are usually reliable at recording.

| Tue 16 Apr 2019 21:30:51 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Don't bother with CS, just take it back.

| Tue 16 Apr 2019 22:56:23 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Don't bother with CS, just take it back.

100% agree.

Other than the greyed out options when,

Actually recording or

Within 15 mins of a accurate recording due to start (watching for a broadcaster to signal the actual start of the programme).

This is 100% normal, Basically protecting your recording reservation (a Freesat retune for the same reasons will be locked out).

I can guess what Humax Support will say - Factory Reset

This is so far from the normal, get it replaced,

| Tue 16 Apr 2019 23:18:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

With live pause, it is normal to get an error message if you try to pause very soon after starting to watch the channel, maybe up to 30 seconds. After that, then it is abnormal.

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:06:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wellnevermind

Hi All, thanks for the replies. Just to say, I am fully aware that you cannot pause until enough time passes and that the settings for storage, etc, can't be chosen while the hard disk is in use. All my queries and complaints take those things into consideration completely and still stand as queries and complaints.

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 10:23:37 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

Don't "query" and "complain". It's faulty. Get it changed.

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 11:33:01 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

wellnevermind

Strangely, I tried calling 0344 318 8800 today - UK Customer Helpline. And they have a recorded message saying...

They are aware of an issue affecting customers ability to record on the 4000T and 5000T models. And are working to fix it!

But these models are months if not years old? They are not new tech that has just come out and might still have bugs. So what is going on? Should they even still be selling this product?

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 15:49:04 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wellnevermind

I decided to go the whole hog and speak to them. They said as per the recorded message, they are aware of the issue and that the hard drive stops being seen by the system after going into stand by, etc. Apparently many customers / 4000 and 5000T units have the issue. And they have no idea why, but their people are working on a software update to fix it.

So basically anyone who has recently bought one or will be soon, is at risk of being the proud owner of a recorder that will constantly forget to record or not record until you reset it each and every time.

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 18:08:27 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

wellnevermind - 3 hours ago  » 
    They are aware of an issue affecting customers ability to record on the 4000T and 5000T models. And are working to fix it!
    But these models are months if not years old?

Glad you took my advice. They will have changed something during the production run (possibly the type of hard drive fitted) and not tested properly. This is the first time I recollect this specific problem being reported here so I suspect the problem has only been introduced recently. I would guess if they have enough problem reports to warrant a pre-recorded message then I guess they will be prioritising a fix. You could see if your supplier has a slightly older box in stock they could exchange. Alternatively you could ask Humax if this problem only affects hard drives of a particular size and opt for a model with a different hard drive size. Alternatively you could simply leave the box running continuously until the fix is released. (Turn off Automatic Power Down in Settings> System Settings> Power Management)

| Wed 17 Apr 2019 19:01:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.