Gillian

Any answers to the above would be appreciated

| Sun 14 Apr 2019 19:45:48 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Gillian - 2 hours ago  » 
    Any answers to the above would be appreciated

There is no know answer to the problem other than to put with it or to buy a new PVR.

| Sun 14 Apr 2019 22:18:41 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

philm

Martin Liddle - 2 mnths ago  » 

JjLemon - 1 hour ago  » 
    You’d of thought that others would have found a solution from Humax by now.

My guess is that the problem is in the decoding chip which I assume can't be fixed by a normal software update.

Martin,

The DTG claim they test all of the receivers they have been given and I suspect they have a 9300T. If this is a problem with the decoder hardware and I also suspect that is, having suffered from this repeatedly (and frequently having to resort to I-player). Broadcasters should know this from monitoring sites like this as should the BBC. Frankly I believe that the fault for this problem lies with the Broadcasters, who should not be using coders that cause this problem. Red Bee or their successors use the coder that their customer (e.g. the BBC) dictates. It happens far less often on Channel5 which I believe does its coding separately from ITV and Channel4.

In the bad old days of VHS recorders the BBC refused to use some of the features of the Programme Delivery Control (PDC) system because not all recorders had implemented them properly. This caused mis-operation of compliant receivers because data was sent incorrectly when programmes changed but they had checked. Today the BBC just don't take that amount of care.

Using codecs that people can't use is just the same as changing to DVB-T2 for PSBs, which they know not to do. It is just a matter of scale.

| Wed 3 Jul 2019 15:08:39 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

philm - 2 hours ago  » 
    The DTG claim they test all of the receivers they have been given and I suspect they have a 9300T.

My guess is that they tested the codecs that were in use when the box was launched and later broadcasters began to use the problematic codec. Humax have always been very quiet about this problem which leads me to suspect they knew from fairly early on it couldn't be easily fixed. As far as I know none of the other Humax models suffer from this problem.

| Wed 3 Jul 2019 17:28:34 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

philm

Well I once asked the DTG if they retested when the standards changed and they said yes. However, like you, I didn't believe it.
    In my view it doesn't absolve the BBC from making an effort! Glad to hear you confirm that none of the other products have the fault because I am about to get an FVP-5000 because the complaints about this problem from the other half of the settee are no longer tolerable! Moving the backlog of recordings, which I assume will play correctly on the new box, will now be the next issue.

| Wed 3 Jul 2019 17:35:53 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Michaelb121345

I have a PVR 9150T. On playback it frequently jumps over about 30 seconds of recording, If I rewind about 20 seconds I can play from there. Oddly it happens most often (but not always) when the programme switches from image to graphic content e.g. on Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys (BBC2) when he shows the map with the moving line of his route. In some programmes it happens a lot, in others not at all. Any comments?

| Tue 18 Feb 2020 14:00:39 #16 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Michaelb121345 - 6 hours ago  » 
    I have a PVR 9150T. On playback it frequently jumps over about 30 seconds of recording, If I rewind about 20 seconds I can play from there. Oddly it happens most often (but not always) when the programme switches from image to graphic content e.g. on Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys (BBC2) when he shows the map with the moving line of his route. In some programmes it happens a lot, in others not at all. Any comments?

You have accurately stated the problem that Humax never fixed and are not likely to fix, the 9xx0 machines fell off their radar long ago. Yes if you can rewind to just after whatever caused the jump you can successfully play the bits you missed. As well as the things you mention my partner's 9300 will annoyingly sometimes jump at the last few seconds of a programme, and sometimes it won't. This problem was first noticed on the BBC3 programmes Family Guy and American Dad.
    Many years ago a forum member noticed that if you switched soundtracks using the button under the slide with a loudspeaker and ? printed on then the jumping didn't occur. I noticed that if you played the recording at anything other than normal speed (faster or slower) the jumping didn't occur. This might suggest that the soundtrack was causing the problem but Humax never came up with a fix. When my partner gets totally fed up with it (she is very tolerant) we will fix the problem by buying a Panasonic.

| Tue 18 Feb 2020 21:01:47 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Biggles - 14 hours ago  » 
    Many years ago a forum member noticed that if you switched soundtracks using the button under the slide with a loudspeaker and ? printed on then the jumping didn't occur. I noticed that if you played the recording at anything other than normal speed (faster or slower) the jumping didn't occur. This might suggest that the soundtrack was causing the problem but Humax never came up with a fix.

I think that was me. At the time I only had the jumping problem on BBC programmes. Other people mentioned it occurred elsewhere. More recently I noticed jumping on ITV. I have retired my 9150T and only use it to play some of the items still stored - and the games! More recent Humaxes don't seem to have this problem but, as you can tell from this and other forums, there is plenty of debate about other problems.

| Wed 19 Feb 2020 11:41:31 #18 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

EEPhil - 15 mins ago  » I think that was me. At the time I only had the jumping problem on BBC programmes. Other people mentioned it occurred elsewhere. More recently I noticed jumping on ITV. I have retired my 9150T and only use it to play some of the items still stored - and the games! More recent Humaxes don't seem to have this problem but, as you can tell from this and other forums, there is plenty of debate about other problems.

Could well have been, I do remember it wasn't me. I think it was on DS forum, not this one. I use my 9200 in the same manner as you do your 9150. I like the 9xx0 user interface better than the Panasonic but the Panasonic is rock solid reliable at recording programmes which is all I want, and I guess most other people want to do.

| Wed 19 Feb 2020 12:09:33 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

NhOldBoy

After a long search I have finally found the answer to picture jumping on my 9300t.
    There is no answer! I will now be looking to buy a different PVR!

| Tue 13 Oct 2020 20:28:55 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.