My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Picture doesn't fill screen on 4:3 programmes

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

fedman1 - 59 minutes ago  » 
    It must be just me, but I fail to understand why so many people are prepared to watch programmes in the wrong aspect ratio. When we only had 4:3 TV's I don't remember lots moans about 'black bars' top and bottom, it was just accepted as 'widescreen'.
    Rather than watch 'fat' 4:3, why not like cinema's fit curtains each side of the tv to obscure those terrible black bars, just a thought!

You don't pay for all the real estate of a large flat panel TV to see it go to waste with a tiny picture in the middle. It drives me to distraction. I prefer people like Bunter than have black bars at the side.

However, Netflix now thinks they know what I want, nay they are telling me what I can have. If they programme was originally broadcast in 4.3 e.g. Star Trek then 4.3 it is and it doesn't matter what aspect ratio I choose on my TV because as it's streamed you get what Netflix decide to broadcast.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 15:14:01 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

My old Sony Trinitron had several modes which was quite useful in the olden days when some programmes were 16:9 and others were 4:3. It was a frustrating time because the ads were always 16:9 but at least the TV switched automatically.

The least worst mode was a non-linear zoom where the edges of the picture were expanded more than the centre. Another was a zoom which cut the top and bottom, but the Sony allowed you to shift the viewed area up or down.

But I agree - watching "stretched" 4:3 is awful - almost as bad as watching over-saturated reds. Cars with wheels like Easter eggs and everyone looking like a rugby forward with a "he-man" chest.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 15:18:04 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

It must be just me, but I fail to understand why so many people are prepared to watch programmes in the wrong aspect ratio. When we only had 4:3 TV's I don't remember lots moans about 'black bars' top and bottom, it was just accepted as 'widescreen'.
    Rather than watch 'fat' 4:3, why not like cinema's fit curtains each side of the tv to obscure those terrible black bars, just a thought!

You don't pay for all the real estate of a large flat panel TV to see it go to waste with a tiny picture in the middle. It drives me to distraction. I prefer people like Bunter than have black bars at the side.
    However, Netflix now thinks they know what I want, nay they are telling me what I can have. If they programme was originally broadcast in 4.3 e.g. Star Trek then 4.3 it is and it doesn't matter what aspect ratio I choose on my TV because as it's streamed you get what Netflix decide to broadcast.

By expanding a 4:3 source to fit a 16:9 panel you are degrading the picture significantly, it's hard enough to get a decent picture from a SD channel without either stretching the pixels horizontally or simply throwing them away. Your TV aspect ratio settings should overide the transmitted pixel aspect ratio (which determines the correct aspect ratio the video information should be viewed in to avoid distorting the picture).

You wouldn't distort a photograph to fit on photo paper that is a different aspect to the original, why do it with video ?

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 15:24:39 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

By expanding a 4:3 source to fit a 16:9 panel you are degrading the picture significantly, it's hard enough to get a decent picture from a SD channel without either stretching the pixels horizontally or simply throwing them away. Your TV aspect ratio settings should overide the transmitted pixel aspect ratio (which determines the correct aspect ratio the video information should be viewed in to avoid distorting the picture).
    You wouldn't distort a photograph to fit on photo paper that is a different aspect to the original, why do it with video ?

Because I don't want black bars - simples. If I can sit and watch Youtube on a 47" screen then you will gather PQ doesn't really fuss me to much at all. Growing up with a 12" monochrome TV and a magnifier across the front tends to do that to you.

I rarely record anything in HD as SD is more than good enough for us and you can fit far more on the HDD. P.S we are sat around 13 feet from the TV.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 17:00:13 #14 |
  5. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 18:05:41 #15 |
  6. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

You don't pay for all the real estate of a large flat panel TV to see it go to waste with a tiny picture in the middle.

By the same token why pay for HD and then watch in SD from so far away from the screen?

If you moved a bit closer to the screen that tiny picture in the middle would be quite a bit bigger

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 18:08:14 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

Because I don't want black bars - simples. If I can sit and watch Youtube on a 47" screen then you will gather PQ doesn't really fuss me to much at all. Growing up with a 12" monochrome TV and a magnifier across the front tends to do that to you.
    I rarely record anything in HD as SD is more than good enough for us and you can fit far more on the HDD. P.S we are sat around 13 feet from the TV.

What do you do when a 2.35:1 movie is shown ? Frankly a bit amazing you paid for a big TV presumably with a 1920 x 1080 display and want to watch SD on it. Do you still use a VCR ?

Youtube has some excellent quality FULL-HD and 4K content.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 18:46:30 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

What do you do when a 2.35:1 movie is shown ? Frankly a bit amazing you paid for a big TV presumably with a 1920 x 1080 display and want to watch SD on it. Do you still use a VCR ?
    Youtube has some excellent quality FULL-HD and 4K content.

We have recently watched New Zealand Islands on the Edge I think it was called and just finished the Scottish ones tonight - similar sort of thing. All watched and recorded in SD. I thought the SD PQ was excellent. Switched over at one point to HD and the improvement appeared negligible, certainly from that viewing distance.

Besides, I wanted to keep these programmes so have copied them and now have them on my NAS. I couldn't have done in in HD.

We were watching some old 1970's classic's on Youtube the other day where the grass was just green smearing and the skin was pink blotches. However, the audio was good and you could still make out the action so for me that was good enough. I simply can't get excited about this sort of thing.

I think I spoiled a salespersons day in JL when he dragged me over to a 4K curved Samsung TV to show me this 'apparently stunning picture' and I just nodded and said the scenery was nice.

Regarding your quip about a VCR - no I don't use a VCR. However, I did transfer a lot of programmes from VCR to DVD which I still watch e.g. NYPD Blue.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 22:55:59 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.