My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Picture doesn't fill screen on 4:3 programmes

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

I recently started having problems watching 4:3 broadcasts. They no longer fill the screen automatically. I just found out that there was a recent software update and wonder if this has caused the change. I have reset the recorder to factory doing a format. Its nothing to do with the TV. Its set to 16/9 auto and 1080p.

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 1:55:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

"Its set to 16/9 auto".
    There lies your problem I believe, "auto" means it will switch ratios to match the broadcast. Without knowing what brand of tv its difficult to give more accurate advice but look for a setting that is simply 16/9 or full screen or similar.

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 5:36:06 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

The zoom is set to auto. The 4:3 16:9 is set to 16:9 . the TV has full or dot to dot wide mode (sharp aquos)

| Wed 24 Aug 2016 9:40:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Isn't this something which needs to be set on the TV? If the Humax outputs at 4:3, you tell the TV to expand it ...

| Thu 25 Aug 2016 13:32:14 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's impossible for a 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 display unless.

1 You stretch it horizontally making everyone look very fat

or

2 You expand it and retain the aspect ratio so that you lose a lot of the vertical resolution.

If properly displayed it should fit top and bottom and have black bars either side.

Some broadcasters transmit 4:3 content as 16:9 adding black pixels either side so when scaled by the TV it displays correctly as above.

| Thu 25 Aug 2016 15:19:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

2 You expand it and retain the aspect ratio so that you lose a lot of the vertical resolution.

Not only vertical resolution, but also picture content i.e. chopped heads and legs.

| Thu 25 Aug 2016 17:09:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have had to wait until a 4:3 programme to test.
    Setting the Humax box to Zoom means that 4:3 will be shown as fullscreen if watching in SD but the HD channel of the same broadcast is shown as 4:3. So as I suspected, you will need to change a setting on your TV to completely fill the screen without black side boarders.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 6:43:39 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phil1

There is only the option of full or dot to dot on the TV When using the hdmi. I have found out that the display format must be set to zoom, although you do cut out part of the picture. This is better than 4:3 in the middle of the screen. The strange thing is that this only recently started to happen. I always had the display format set to auto, but it has stopped working.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 9:22:08 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

It must be just me, but I fail to understand why so many people are prepared to watch programmes in the wrong aspect ratio. When we only had 4:3 TV's I don't remember lots moans about 'black bars' top and bottom, it was just accepted as 'widescreen'.
    Rather than watch 'fat' 4:3, why not like cinema's fit curtains each side of the tv to obscure those terrible black bars, just a thought!

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 13:08:30 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fedman1 - 37 minutes ago  » 
    It must be just me, but I fail to understand why so many people are prepared to watch programmes in the wrong aspect ratio. When we only had 4:3 TV's I don't remember lots moans about 'black bars' top and bottom, it was just accepted as 'widescreen'.
    Rather than watch 'fat' 4:3, why not like cinema's fit curtains each side of the tv to obscure those terrible black bars, just a thought!

I couldn't agree more

You never see anyone complain that content with a wider aspect ratio than 16:9 has black bars top and bottom.

| Fri 26 Aug 2016 13:48:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.