My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Picture pixellation while watching in pause mode

(38 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Manclad - 46 mins ago  » 
    I was watching Bloodlines last night on BBC1HD on live tv and had to pause it for a minute, so when I came back and pressed play I was the watching it on delayed recording. Sure as anything within a few seconds it was once again giving bursts of pixelation every few minutes.
    This morning, I'm watching ITV1HD, and have purposely paused the live TV and hit play again so I'm watching it on delay.... and not one single error.
    Someone in the thread had commented this problem only occurs in the evenings... any thoughts on this observation that the problem is related to evenings?

I had some pixelation on Live TV yesterday evening. Not sure why you pause the live TV. I can't see this having any effect. When you see it the problem is already in the timeshift buffer. This is a direct bit for bit for bit copy of the live stream sent to the unit mpeg decoders. If you rewind the buffer during pause you should be able to locate the flawed stream data.
    As it sometimes only happens once or twice in a single programme not surprised you don't see it anymore. Nothing to do with pausing the content. Just a coincidence I reckon.

For a bit of research, a quick question. Do you use wi-fi or a hardwired LAN ethernet connection to the Aura?

Many thanks.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 14:08:31 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 8 mins ago  » 

Manclad - 46 mins ago  » 
    I was watching Bloodlines last night on BBC1HD on live tv and had to pause it for a minute, so when I came back and pressed play I was the watching it on delayed recording. Sure as anything within a few seconds it was once again giving bursts of pixelation every few minutes.
    This morning, I'm watching ITV1HD, and have purposely paused the live TV and hit play again so I'm watching it on delay.... and not one single error.
    Someone in the thread had commented this problem only occurs in the evenings... any thoughts on this observation that the problem is related to evenings?

I had some pixelation on Live TV yesterday evening. Not sure why you pause the live TV. I can't see this having any effect. When you see it the problem is already in the timeshift buffer. This is a direct bit for bit for bit copy of the live stream sent to the unit mpeg decoders. If you rewind the buffer during pause you should be able to locate the flawed stream data.
    As it sometimes only happens once or twice in a single programme not surprised you don't see it anymore. Nothing to do with pausing the content. Just a coincidence I reckon.

For a bit of research, a quick question. Do you use wi-fi or a hardwired LAN ethernet connection to the Aura?
    Many thanks.

Wired via a pair of 300Mbps home plugs. All kit in rack shares this link using a unmanaged network switch - NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch,

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 14:21:00 #22 |
  3. davidrew

davidrew

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 

davidrew - 8 mins ago  » 

Manclad - 46 mins ago  » 

Many thanks.

Wired via a pair of 300Mbps home plugs. All kit in rack shares this link using a unmanaged network switch - NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch,

Thanks Graham. Interesting, another hardwired LAN user with picture issues. I was asking because since I disconnected my hardwired LAN and moved to Wi-Fi over a week ago, based on some evidence and discussions in other threads, I've had none of the pixilation issues I'd been seeing since I first had the Aura last November.

I'm sort of conducting and unofficial straw-poll to see if hardwired LAN is possibly causing pixilation issues. I may be completely off-base but I'm coming around to the conclusion that somthing is going on with the hardwired LAN connection handling that causes a brief knock-on to the signal decoder leading to the momentary signal drops.

Would be interesting to know how Manclad has is Aura LAN connected.

Just for full disclosure I am part of the Beta Test Program so I am currently on the 13/03/2021 update.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 14:56:57 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

davidrew - 18 mins ago  » 

davidrew - 8 mins ago  » 

Manclad - 46 mins ago  » 

Many thanks.

Thanks Graham. Interesting, another hardwired LAN user with picture issues. I was asking because since I disconnected my hardwired LAN and moved to Wi-Fi over a week ago, based on some evidence and discussions in other threads, I've had none of the pixilation issues I'd been seeing since I first had the Aura last November.
    I'm sort of conducting and unofficial straw-poll to see if hardwired LAN is possibly causing pixilation issues. I may be completely off-base but I'm coming around to the conclusion that somthing is going on with the hardwired LAN connection handling that causes a brief knock-on to the signal decoder leading to the momentary signal drops.
    Just for full disclosure I am part of the Beta Test Program so I am currently on the 13/03/2021 update.

I’ve always used Wi-fi. I get picture pixelation. Last night whilst watching “Rich House Poor House” on channel 5 (watching from the live recording and selected from recordings, I was not on channel 5) and behind the live program. Was very noticeable. I have also noticed that it occurs more in the evenings than during the day.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 15:18:55 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pulse interference to UHF TV reception can be very hard to track down.

Mine is rock solid during daylight hours. Lots of faulty kit can produce a pulse of RF. Some aerials are superior in rejecting this sort of interference. In general log periodics are the best in this respect but do have a lower gain than Yagi designs.

Common sources include faulty boiler gas valves and refrigeration thermostats, these tend to propogate over your house wiring. Ferrite rings fitted to power connections can help here.

I remember one case that was closely linked to evening and night. It turned out in the end to be down to a faulty street light ballast kit. This was tracked down using a transistor radio. Another with a bus stop outside the door on buses found to have radio comms.

Old or faulty homeplug adaptors and even faulty low energy bulbs can be a source also evening related. Try turning off similar while experiencing the issue.

Take a note of your reception strength and quality during the day and check what they read while having issues.

I think the live pause in the thread title is a total red herring. You wouldn't be live pausing a recording on another channel you aren't viewing in any situation. Only when when watching the recording will it be revealed unless the recording and the watched programme happen to be on the same Mux. Disruption to the single analogue UHF carrier will affect all channels on the same mux.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 15:45:30 #25 |
  6. Manclad

Manclad

davidrew - 2 hours ago  » 

davidrew - 8 mins ago  » 

Manclad - 46 mins ago  » 

Many thanks.

I use an ethernet cable from Aura to the BT Hub, not tried a wireless connection yet.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 17:31:19 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Watching the Dancing On Ice Final from yesterday evening. Recorded with box ethernet connected. So far it's flawless and a really good picture as well. If only ITV-HD had 5.1 audio.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 18:03:17 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

I noticed when Recording & 'chase' playing a prog on BBC1 HD whilst recording, no pixellation but a brief sound dropout at around 3 minutes in.

Then a slight stutter on the video (no sound dropout) when the "Completed Recording" box popped up.

When returning to the recording from the beginning again, no sound dropout and no picture stutter.

Signal strength at 68% through variable attenuator and 100% quality.

LAN connected, but will try Wi-Fi.

(Included in Beta testing & running latest 13/03 update)

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 18:30:46 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Two short events in 2 hrs Dancing On Ice final. During Day Steady 95% signal, 100 quality. So close to 100% picture stability. I will trim a bit off during tomorrow.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 19:00:55 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Don’t know how this will be solved. Just watching master chef bbc 1 hd and the notification of another recording popped up and I got pixelation on master chef. I rewound and watched it again and pixelation at the same place. Quality 93%, strength 100%.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 22:07:36 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.