My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Picture reception

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unique listener

The resolution is set to 1080i and there is no choice as the cell is greyed out and the cursor does not allow entry.

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 17:08:01 #11 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Unique listener - 14 minutes ago  » 
    The resolution is set to 1080i and there is no choice as the cell is greyed out and the cursor does not allow entry.

Surely your able to change settings such as contrast,brightness,colour and whatever else maybe under picture options?
    Have a read through the following link and possibly try what others have done and then just tweek if need be. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1778974

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 17:25:27 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Freeview-HD is able to use 1080p25 for content produced in progressive format, because the Freeview specification allowed for this from day one. This can produce better pictures for some content.
    Satellite receivers in general don't support progressive signals so progressive source signals have to be interlaced and transmitted as 1080i.
    Your TV will de-interlace 1080i for display and therefore the TV itself can effect how interlaced signals look compared to native progressive content.
    I also think that the BBC HD channels do look a bit better from the HDR FOX T2 compared to the same source on a satellite box, most likely down to the use of progressive transmission.
    This of course should not affect the picture quality comparing a Foxsat-HDR with a <freetime> box.
    Most TV's allow different settings for each input. I would investigate using different settings for the HB1000s port. In general start by turning off so called picture enhancing options like Noise Reduction, Movie Mode etc.

Maybe that's the explanation - progressive transmission. Thanks, I'm glad to know of a possible cause.

I've experimented with the picture options but without success. I'll have another go.

Thanks again.

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 17:34:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

-gonzo- - 34 minutes ago  » 

I did notice on my 2009 samsung that with SD the TVs internal Freeview tuner looked slightly better quality than SD on some identical satellite channels.
    Rather than just relying on the picture modes alone, have you tried calibrating your tv to get the best out of the device connected to that particular HDMI input?

Can the individual HDMI input make a difference? I hadn't thought of that. I'll try changing it, and changing the lead. And have another go with the options.

Thanks.

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 17:41:38 #14 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

JamesB - 18 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 34 minutes ago  » 
    I did notice on my 2009 samsung that with SD the TVs internal Freeview tuner looked slightly better quality than SD on some identical satellite channels.
    Rather than just relying on the picture modes alone, have you tried calibrating your tv to get the best out of the device connected to that particular HDMI input?

Can the individual HDMI input make a difference? I hadn't thought of that. I'll try changing it, and changing the lead. And have another go with the options.
    Thanks.

Today's TVs are not like old crt's where once calibrated that setting is used for every device connected.
    I wouldn't worry about changing ports or changing leads, just some calibration is likely to be needed.
    With your tv each seperate HDMI,scart,component port and internal tuner has it own individual settings so it's well worth calibrating each port with a device connected to get the very best out of them.

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 18:04:48 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Many thanks to all, I've followed the values in the digital-spy post and the picture is considerably improved. I'm happy.

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 18:16:13 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Unique listener

I should have said that my TV is 7 years old. It is a Pioneer PDP 4270XA and although it has a HDMI socket I tried connecting via HDMI but it would not work with my Foxsat or 1010s. Subsequently I have connected the 1010 via scart and the Foxsat via red/white/yellow cables, cannot remember the technical term.
    In fact I am not a fraction of a techie as some of you guys, so some of it goes over the head.

Thanks for all the advice
    Brian

| Sun 8 Dec 2013 18:28:37 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Unique listener - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I should have said that my TV is 7 years old. It is a Pioneer PDP 4270XA
    Thanks for all the advice
    Brian

Ha Ha, I've only just realised I was talking to 2 different people,
    Doh!