My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Planned software update for FVP 4000T

(112 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rikki

I'm very disappointed that the RECENT selection seems to have gone. I used this to play the earliest episode of any long series, and come back to following episodes in order.

When you've recorded a series of radio or TV shows, you obviously want to view them starting with earliest first, but when you go into those recordings, the latest edition is the one readied for selection by default. I think this is so counter-intuitive and annoying, especially given the snail's pace response of the UP button to get to the earliest episode.

The workaround for me was using the RECENT option. Now they've taken that away!

Another beef is that if you select a disc using STORAGE, the grid/gallery option disappears and you get grid only. I tend to offload all my recorded films to an attached drive, so I use STORAGE to choose if I'm going to watch a film, or whether I'm looking for generally more current and day-to-day TV/radio programmes.

Since the update, if I want to view in Gallery mode, I will have to wade through the mix of both films and current, or I have to use GRID mode if I select the storage.

Not too impressed here.

| Tue 20 Feb 2018 22:48:48 #31 |
  2. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

rikki - 45 minutes ago  » 
    I'm very disappointed that the RECENT selection seems to have gone..

I thought the same but the 'Recent' is still there, however it is so difficult to get to that it's as easy to use the regular route to find a programme.

Menu > Top Picks > Recordings > down to 'Recently Added or Continue Watching.

On the regular method you don't need to use the slow UP button to to get to the first episode of a recorded series, one or two presses on the CH rocker switch gets you there immediately.

The same switch also moves the recordings Grid/List up or down a page at a time.

| Tue 20 Feb 2018 23:52:47 #32 |
  3. davidrew

davidrew

special member

HumaxUKNW - 4 hours ago  » 
    Whatever your Freeview HD model, be grateful.
    Channel 4 will be ceasing HD transmission on Freesat w.e.f. Thursday 22nd February.
    The Freesat EPG is already empty from that date.
    I use both my 4000T's as backup for Freesat transmissions, plus the 3 tuners takes care of any overflow requirement on my twin tuner Freesat models.
    If I have to omit anything, it will always be a BBC programme, the BBC iPlayer is now so good, and in HD, and with NO adverts.
    My latest 4000T comes with wifi internet connection, which is ideal for use in the bedroom, as extra backup.
    Since I upgraded the software on both 4000T's earlier today, I have had no problems at all, it is indeed an improvement on the previous software, in my case.
    As mentioned above, the grid display is quite good too, I will alternate between List & Grid view until I decide the best for myself.
    The only thing I miss, compared to Freesat, unless I've not found it yet, is the ability to manually set programme recording times, useful for regional news bulletins optouts.

How do you find the UI speed and usability of the 4000T compared to your Freesat Box? I'm considering jumping ship due to the 4HD and All4 loss from freesat but need something that is usable for the less technical family members.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 1:05:17 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Updated OK on 4000T that was using the 5000T version of software.

Had the same problem of the screen going blank for ages during the update but all OK now. So far can not spot any differences between 5000T vers 37 and 4000T vers 39.

Software still has some annoying issues that were identified during beta testing (e.g. series play defaults to latest instead of oldest, sort still does not manage titles starting with "new") and couple of things are worse (e.g. accessing recently played programs list is more difficult in my opinion, accessing program info on playback seems almost impossible now and the on demand button on remote now strangely brings up something called top picks instead of the on demand apps)

but..... all in all this is a much improved version, well overdue.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 2:08:47 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

HumaxUKNW

"How do you find the UI speed and usability of the 4000T compared to your Freesat Box? I'm considering jumping ship due to the 4HD and All4 loss from freesat but need something that is usable for the less technical family members. "

I'm the wrong person to ask !!
    As an ex Broadcast TV Operator, I find both easy to operate.

There should be no problem with using a 4000T

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 3:53:28 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

HoriZon

All updated all seems ok.

Only thing which is an issue is media files it displays them in grid mode now and doesn’t show the full filename can’t we have an option for list view like it was?

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 8:03:55 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

davidrew
    How do you find the UI speed and usability of the 4000T compared to your Freesat Box? I'm considering jumping ship due to the 4HD and All4 loss from freesat but need something that is usable for the less technical family members.

I was a Freesat user then moved to Freeview via YouView and Freeview Play. Now we have the new software the FVP-4000T and the FVP-5000T are much better IMO. I was never bothered with the plethora of SD channels on Freesat - I will only watch HD unless something compelling is only on SD. I prefer the Freeview Play interface - seems more logical to me. The channel numbering on Freesat caused me huge problems. I could never remember the channel numbers for the HD channels. FP is so much better 101-107 for the main channels. Speed is pretty much similar to Freesat and the UI is much better now.

The icing on the cake is that you can record 4 channels at the same time. I'm not a huge TV viewer but very often I got programming clashes with Freesat - never had a single issue with FP. As long as you can get a good Freeview signal I'd say it is a no-brainer.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 9:20:21 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rikki

I thought the same but the 'Recent' is still there, however it is so difficult to get to that it's as easy to use the regular route to find a programme.
    Menu > Top Picks > Recordings > down to 'Recently Added or Continue Watching.
    On the regular method you don't need to use the slow UP button to to get to the first episode of a recorded series, one or two presses on the CH rocker switch gets you there immediately.
    The same switch also moves the recordings Grid/List up or down a page at a time.

very useful tips there. thanks

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 9:32:54 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

My update seemed to have occurred sometime yesterday evening as it wasn't like this yesterday morning.

Aside from the aesthetic changes (having the Freeplay stuff on the main screen is handy) it seems okay, if a little slower than before.

However I do have one major bugbear which is a downgrade for me, and that is that I watch a lot of stuff via USB and I've just found that the "resume play from where your left it" option is now gone for media files; now if I stop playback, I have to skip through to where I stopped it.

Why oh why was this wonderful feature removed? It made all the difference from using my Blu-ray player for the same purpose.

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 10:43:12 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RogerRoger

Can't quite believe they did this.
    Most companies would have just said "Buy the new version"
    You can pick up the refurbished FVP-4000T on Humax Direct quite cheaply now

| Wed 21 Feb 2018 16:59:02 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.