My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Poor or no signal on some channels : FVP-4000T 500

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rhino

I have read through the post by saab9002 called "Just bought a PVR-5000T" and would seem to have a slimier problem.

A number of channels are fine e.g. BBC1 but ITV is some times working and other times not and other times breaking up so it is not watchable.

I have just checked at 22:57 and ITV was working (ITV 0003), so I went into Settings, Channel Settings, Signal Test.
    It showed Signal strength of 48% and quality of 52% and confirmed that the Tuner 1 was on CH27.
    Within 1 minute, there was absolutely nothing whatsoever - and Tuner 1 shows no details at all.
    Other channels are still there but there does seem to be a specific list of channels that suffer from this problem.
    My older PVR did occasionally have problems with some channels - but that was once or twice a year where as this has been continuous on this new device.

Ideas on how to rectify this issue?

| Mon 7 May 2018 23:10:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Signal quality needs to be much higher - 80% minimum and higher if possible.

Signal strength also needs to be higher - over 70% and over 80% is better.

You could try an aerial amplifier but it may just amplify the bad signal so you have a big "bad signal" rather than a small "bad signal".

Go to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/ and see what you should expect for your postcode.

| Tue 8 May 2018 19:25:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rhino

Thank you JohnH77 for the link to coveragechecker. My closest Transmitter is Hannington but the site suggests I will get better signal from Rowridge VP or Rowridge or Rowridge (Local Mux) whatever that is.
    How do I switch away from Hannington? Do I have to re-point the aerial?

| Tue 8 May 2018 21:55:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If 0003 is showing the channel as 27 then it is not tuned to Hannington, it has found Rowridge and has locked onto that. Hannington should be 42 for that Mux. You may need to clear everything out and manually tune each Mux for Hannington if that is where your aerial is pointing.

See your checker results for all the Hannington channel numbers.

If you look in your channel list, you may find that you have a duplicate entry for ITV (not ITV HD) with a number up around 800. If that is so, and on going to it the picture is solid, do a signal test on it and check its CH number to see if it is coming from 42 at Hannington.

| Wed 9 May 2018 8:03:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Rhino - 12 hours ago
    How do I switch away from Hannington? Do I have to re-point the aerial?

Sorry - I answered "How do I switch TO Harrington" but the same ideas apply to wherever you try. Be aware that the repeater transmitters don't transmit all stations - just the major ones. If you choose a repeater, you will have to orient the aerial vertically and you may need a different aerial from your current aerial.

Rowridge is a Main transmitter transmitting on 21-37.

See http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide for aerials.

1. You need to have the correct aerial for Hannington so that you can pick up the channels it is transmitting (32 to 45). If you were previously using a repeater transmitter your aerial will be vertically aligned and will probably be the wrong group.

You need to point it towards Harrington.

It needs to be set with the elements vertical or horizontal as required. As Hannington is a Main transmitter, set it horizontally.

Ideally it should be mounted on a "cranked arm" so you can move it nearer to or further from the transmitter by a foot or two to ensure the aerial is not located in a null for any of the channels you need. (It's like a car radio. You pull up at, say, a traffic light and the radio goes noisy because the aerial is in a null. Ease forward 12-18" and you move out of the null and the radio is OK.)

Look at your neighbours for clues.

2. Reset the box. Now do a Manual Tune selecting only those channels the Postcode Selector says Harrington transmits.

3. If you are using "traditional brown TV Coax with copper braid" chuck it away - it is useless for Freeview. Replace it with "satellite co-ax" which has a solid foil sheath.

It may be easier to get an aerial installer, who has a signal strength meter, to install any new aerial.

What is your postcode so I can look at the checker.

| Wed 9 May 2018 10:45:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Any luck with sorting this Rhino?

| Fri 11 May 2018 20:50:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rhino

Thank you for everyone's input and I have had some progress.

I did a auto re-tune and ITV now reports a signal strength of 88% and quality of 100%. A gremlin on the initial setup or something else?

Someone in the house did find another channel that reporting that there was no signal - but I haven't investigated it as it is a little used channel in our house.
    As we are about to have some work done on the building I will factor in replacing the cabling just in case that is an issue and with the chimney being re-pointed it will mean setting things up again so we will see how things are after that.

| Sun 13 May 2018 21:46:15 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.