My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Poor picture quality

(7 posts)
  1. fixerman

fixerman

My setup went relatively easily but have one major problem and that is the poor picture quality when using the Aura. I am connecting it to a new Toshiba HD TV. The normal direct picture on the TV is perfect but when I switch to the Aura HDMI input the is a dramatic difference in quality. The picture output from the Aura is flat and pale and not very pleasant to watch. I have tried to correct it by adjusting the picture settings on the TV but with little if any improvement. This would be a deal breaker for me if it cannot be resolved.
    Any advise would be most welcome.

| Fri 2 Jul 2021 11:17:46 #1 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

fixerman - 1 hour ago  » 
    My setup went relatively easily but have one major problem and that is the poor picture quality when using the Aura. I am connecting it to a new Toshiba HD TV. The normal direct picture on the TV is perfect but when I switch to the Aura HDMI input the is a dramatic difference in quality. The picture output from the Aura is flat and pale and not very pleasant to watch. I have tried to correct it by adjusting the picture settings on the TV but with little if any improvement. This would be a deal breaker for me if it cannot be resolved.
    Any advise would be most welcome.

Sorry you are experiencing that. I notice you are outputting the output from the Aura to an HD TV, not 4K. Is the Aura set to output HD, and at what refresh rate? Press the S/AD button twice. You are talking about the HD channels? How old is the Toshiba TV? Pale and flat looking? That sounds like a lack of contrast or dynamic range in the settings of the TV. Some TV's allow different settings for each HDMI connection. Check TV settings. Try swapping HDMI ports. Mine is connected to an LG 4K non OLEd TV and it is fine, very HDR.

Is the signal strength good? Have you re scanned? Anyone else have any ideas?

| Fri 2 Jul 2021 13:22:43 #2 |
  3. fixerman

fixerman

Thanks for your prompt response. I will try your suggestions later. The TV is brand new.It displays a brilliant picture on its own. It's just the picture through the HDMI that has no brilliance. Your advice may make a difference. I'll let you know.

| Fri 2 Jul 2021 14:58:32 #3 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

fixerman - 44 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for your prompt response. I will try your suggestions later. The TV is brand new.It displays a brilliant picture on its own. It's just the picture through the HDMI that has no brilliance. Your advice may make a difference. I'll let you know.

I believe the Toshiba TV (what model number?) has different Mode settings on the HDMI port so look at what affect they have. One web site mentioned using Mode 2, and/or shifting the mid luminance gamma. But why it isn't set to the best setting automatically I'm not sure. see link

https://settingsbase.com/best-picture-settings-for-toshiba-tv/

| Fri 2 Jul 2021 15:52:30 #4 |
  5. fixerman

fixerman

Thanks. I'll have a go over the weekend and report back.

| Fri 2 Jul 2021 19:04:08 #5 |
  6. fixerman

fixerman

Sorted. I decided to go back to basics. I did a full factory reset on both the Aura and the Toshiba TV. All seems good right now. There is no perceptible difference between the Freeview picture on the TV and from the Aura.

No doubt I shall be back here over time looking for help.

Thanks Paul for your advice.

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 14:23:55 #6 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

fixerman - 50 mins ago  » 
    Sorted. I decided to go back to basics. I did a full factory reset on both the Aura and the Toshiba TV. All seems good right now. There is no perceptible difference between the Freeview picture on the TV and from the Aura.
    No doubt I shall be back here over time looking for help.
    Thanks Paul for your advice.

Yes a reset of both TV and AURA does sort out a lot of problems. Glad it worked for you.

| Sat 3 Jul 2021 15:15:59 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.