My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Problem recognising Samsung D3 3TB Hard Drive

(18 posts)
  1. IAINB

IAINB

Dear Rotekz,

In a way, you may be right to suggest it is for hardware reasons that your 3TB HDD is not recognised.

I think that if you are using the power provided via the USB socket it will be inadequate to drive such a large HDD. If you read my "First Impressions" you will see that I had no trouble with a 1TB Intenso, though I did cross my fingers trying it! It is a pity Humax are not more helpful in this as I am sure 9/10 users attach a HDD as their first move. The current available will meet the USB2 spec., I am sure but you need to know the requirements of your HDD as well. You may also notice that I formatted to NTFS before I attached the Intenso; this may have helped too! The Intenso comes with a special cable bearing two USB leads, so that both may be plugged into a receiver to draw the power from the two sockets - a neat trick which was unnecessary for me.

I hope this helps! And good luck. I am more than pleased with the HB not least because it seems bug-free. Regards. IAINB

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 18:22:17 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotekz

Thanks Iain but all the drives I have used have been powered by the mains, no USB powering going on at all.

Also I have tried formatting the disks myself using Window 7. Formats tested were NTFS, exFAT and EXT3.

When I have a moment free I still have to test the changing SATA speed with pin connector on the back of the drives.

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 9:19:12 #12 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I should have a Samsung D3 3TB arriving today, more when I have it.

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 9:20:26 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotekz

Thanks Barry.

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 9:21:56 #14 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Oh dear, not sure whether to post this or not.

Samsung D3 3TB arrived, connected to PC first just to check properties as picture (note space taken is Samsung bloatware)

Then connected to HB1000S, using cable/psu as provided in box, check in system settings, storage and D3 Station is listed, highlight, press ok and get 3 options one of which is 'Use this hard drive for recordings' - highlight same and press ok, confirm and voila.

Two test recordings, one SD channel one HD channel worked.

Attachments

1. Test_recordings.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 downloads) 10 years old
    2. Samsung_D3_3TB.jpg (61.3 KB, 1 downloads) 10 years old
    | Thu 12 Dec 2013 12:18:44 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotekz

Thanks Barry. What software version is your HB-1000S running?

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 12:56:24 #16 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

rotekz - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Barry. What software version is your HB-1000S running?

Software version - UKSFAC 1.00.05

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 13:43:13 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rotekz

Strange. Identical products and software version yet it does not work for me. I'm stumped.

Never mind. The 1TB drive that works is probably sufficient for my needs. Thank you for your help with this.

| Thu 12 Dec 2013 19:53:12 #18 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.