My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Problem with two Foxsat HDR 1100S boxes.

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

drewtaylor

Both my Foxsat box has suddenly stopped working, reporting no signal. I connected a satellite signal finder to input 1 and it reported a strong signal going into the box. I connected the this signal to a television and it works perfectly. I have attempted to reset the box to factory default but again it reports no signal. Can anyone suggest possible things I could try?

| Fri 9 Nov 2018 20:25:25 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

High welcome to our forum. Can you clarify which box you actually have ?

The Foxsat-HDR and the HDR-1100S are totally different boxes. The Foxsat-HDR is much older the HDR-1100S.

Both of these rely on being able to use the Freesat home transponder. If your TV has a generic FTA satellite tuner and doesn't have the freesat epg it doesn't mean very much.

If you have two HDR-1100s boxes do both boxes have two coax connections on the rear ?

Do you know how to tune a transponder on the TV to check reception ?

| Fri 9 Nov 2018 20:51:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

drewtaylor

Thanks for your speedy reply. I do have two boxes and both are 1100S. Both have two connections at the back. I don't know how to tune a transponder to check reception.

| Fri 9 Nov 2018 21:23:29 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A bit late now. Basically you need to check both boxes are able to receive from the Freesat home transponder.

See this thread

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/newbie-question-im-not-tech-savvy

| Fri 9 Nov 2018 21:48:43 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

drewtaylor - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your speedy reply. I do have two boxes and both are 1100S. Both have two connections at the back. I don't know how to tune a transponder to check reception.

Bit late now. Basically you need to check at least one of them is able to still receive the Freesat Home transponder,

See this this thread,

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/newbie-question-im-not-tech-savvy

| Fri 9 Nov 2018 23:25:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

drewtaylor

I read the thread you gave me a link to but it seemed to refer to a situation where the signal was intermittent. My box is reporting no signal all the time. I know there is a signal going into the box from the lnb as I inserted a sat signal finder before the box and a TV connected with the same feed works perfectly. Your reply suggests it may be something to do with the 'Freesat Home transponder' but, as yet, I don't know what this means. I will try to do some research to increase my understanding of how the system works although this is proving difficult.

| Sat 10 Nov 2018 20:04:41 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

drewtaylor - 1 minute ago  » 
    I read the thread you gave me a link to but it seemed to refer to a situation where the signal was intermittent. My box is reporting no signal all the time. I know there is a signal going into the box from the lnb as I inserted a sat signal finder before the box and a TV connected with the same feed works perfectly. Your reply suggests it may be something to do with the 'Freesat Home transponder' but, as yet, I don't know what this means. I will try to do some research to increase my understanding of how the system works although this is proving difficult.

You say a a TV with a satellite tuner connected to the same cable works OK. So your dish and lnb must still work to some degree. A sat finder is useless it can give a an output based on just noise.

Ignore the sat finder, the TV that works is the clue. What channels can you watch on the TV ? not the channel numbers rather the content, the local news should give you a clue as should the now next programme info.

| Sat 10 Nov 2018 20:12:39 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The freesat home transponder on Frequency 11428 is Horizontally polarised and is in the low band of frequencies. Other channels can be in either the low or high bands and be Horizontally or vertically polarised.

A LNB has to select which one of these four combinations to pass down the cable and this is achieved by your freesat unit sending two signals to the LNB. For this to work the cable must make a complete electrical circuit between the unit and LNB. A poorly fitted or shorted F-connector will fail to do this (common problem).

Additionally LNB's do not last for ever and it is also another common problem that it can loose the ability to switch bands. This will cause some channels only to be received.

A Graham has indicated the freesat home transponder is especially important (particularly at install, resets or freesat tunes) for freesat units. He is trying to ascertain if the received channels on the TV are vertically polarised or not, to point to the next steps.

A replacement LNB, if necessary, is an inexpensive device and easy to fit depending on dish access.

| Sun 11 Nov 2018 10:59:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

drewtaylor

Thanks for your reply. I am not at home at the moment but will be back on Friday. I will check what channels I can receive on the TV then. I am hoping to get a replacement lnb from a friend to try as well. I have been doing a little homework meanwhile on terms like transponder and polarisation. Thanks for your help.

| Mon 12 Nov 2018 16:50:14 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you replace the LNB especially note the 'skew' (twist). Universal LNB's very in the neck size - you need one of the same size, adapters can be found but are considered sub-optimal.
    Good luck. I would say there is an excellent chance of it being the LNB. Problems with the Humax tuners very very rare and on two units unheard of.

Good luck.

| Mon 12 Nov 2018 17:03:49 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.