My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Newbie Question - I'm not tech savvy!

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

WendyW

I'm hoping some of you lovely people will be able to help me - i'm not tech savvy at all and for the last year have used my Humax freesat box instead of Sky (robbing .....). Anyway, freesat has been fine until recently. It seems that if I watch anything in SD all is good, but when I watch in HD, the picture breaks up and its impossible to watch. I've looked at signal settings and the Tuner 2 is intermittently working. That's as far as i've got. Does it sound like i may need a new box and/or dish? All replies gratefully received - many thanks.

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 18:12:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WendyW - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I'm hoping some of you lovely people will be able to help me - i'm not tech savvy at all and for the last year have used my Humax freesat box instead of Sky (robbing .....). Anyway, freesat has been fine until recently. It seems that if I watch anything in SD all is good, but when I watch in HD, the picture breaks up and its impossible to watch. I've looked at signal settings and the Tuner 2 is intermittently working. That's as far as i've got. Does it sound like i may need a new box and/or dish? All replies gratefully received - many thanks.

Hi Wendy W - Start by telling us which Humax Freesat box you have Without this information it's hard to help. As the menus on an earlier box are different.

You won't need another dish but you may need a new lnb (the box on the end of the arm on the dish that the coax cables connect to.

It might be just a bad connection at the box end where the coax connects to the terminal marked tuner 2 in

. Welcome to our forum.

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 18:27:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

WendyW

Hi Graham - thanks for your prompt response. The model number is HDR-1000S/1010S.

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 18:32:09 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WendyW - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham - thanks for your prompt response. The model number is HDR-1000S/1010S.

Thanks that a 2nd generation box. I have a HDR-1000s. I will devise a simple test that tells us if both tuners are working Can you confirm you set up the box using an English postcode. No need to tell us the postcode just need to be sure what channels you have at the lower channel numbers like 102, 106 and 111

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 18:38:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

WendyW

Yes it is an English postcode. When I looked at the system information and the signal test, the 2nd tuner was intermittent although the 1st tuner was fine (apart from once when it dropped). Don't know if this helps at all.

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 18:40:11 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WendyW - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Yes it is an English postcode. When I looked at the system information and the signal test, the 2nd tuner was intermittent although the 1st tuner was fine (apart from once when it dropped). Don't know if this helps at all.

It helps to give a clue. Both tuners should give around 100% quality - ignore the strength

Lets check the SD channels for two working cables. While watching live TV change the channel you are watching to 950 by simply tapping in 950 on the remote. If you get a picture you are now watching BBC1-London

Press the record button the remote just above the search button. You should see a on screen confirmation you are now recording BBC-1 London

Now press 958 on the remote, you should be watching BBC 1 Oxford. If that works, You should see a 2nd recording confirmation on the screen.

Press the recordings button on the screen and confiem both channels are recording

Post what happens.

| Sun 4 Nov 2018 19:38:25 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

WendyW

Hi Graham - I did that and both were recording, although both were just named as BBC One (not London or Oxford). The funny thing is, today the HD channels seem to be working fine - the only difference is its a dry day here. When they have been playing up the weather has been raining - not monsoon rain but just light rain so i'm wondering if this playing a part maybe?

| Mon 5 Nov 2018 16:16:46 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WendyW - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham - I did that and both were recording, although both were just named as BBC One (not London or Oxford). The funny thing is, today the HD channels seem to be working fine - the only difference is its a dry day here. When they have been playing up the weather has been raining - not monsoon rain but just light rain so i'm wondering if this playing a part maybe?

Rain does have an effect but light rain shouldn't be an issue. You wouldn't see London or Oxford unless you watched the local news or looked in the epg to see what the local news is.

Indicates your dish alignment isn't perfect.

Lets check what sort of signal you get from the BBC HD and SD and other channels

Bring up the following in turn by entering 950 to start - just press channel up to get the rest.

950 BBC 1 London
    951 BBC 1 CI
    952 BBC 1 E Mids
    953 BBC 1 East (E)
    954 BBC 1 East (W)
    955 BBC 1 N West
    956 BBC 1 NE & C
    957 BBC 1 NI
    958 BBC 1 Oxford
    959 BBC 1 S East
    960 BBC 1 Scotland
    961 BBC 1 South
    962 BBC 1 S West
    963 BBC 1 W Mids
    964 BBC 1 Wales
    965 BBC 1 West
    966 BBC 1 Yorks
    967 BBC 1 EYrks&L
    968 BBC 2 England
    969 BBC 2 NI
    970 BBC 2 Scotland
    971 BBC 2 Wales
    972 BBC ONE HD (England)
    973 BBC 1 Scot HD
    974 Channel 4
    975 Channel 4 + 1
    976 BBC 1 Wales HD
    977 ITV
    978 BBC 1 NI HD

When viewing each one - Home settings- General Info -Signal Info

What does the Blue Graphs for Tuner 1 Strength and quality. and same for tuner 2. and say which channel you were using at the time.

What does it say at the bottom Freesat box connected with ? cable.

All of the above are on UK spot transponders so a properly aligned dish should show good quality (full blue line) for all of them.

Is your dish accessible ?

| Mon 5 Nov 2018 16:50:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

WendyW

OK - all of them showed good strength and quality and all connected with 2 cables. There were probably only a few with full blue lines on tuner 2 quality, the rest were averaging around 60-80% (guessing) on the blue line. The dish could be accessible (with a ladder!).

| Mon 5 Nov 2018 18:40:00 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

WendyW - 14 minutes ago  » 
    OK - all of them showed good strength and quality and all connected with 2 cables. There were probably only a few with full blue lines on tuner 2 quality, the rest were averaging around 60-80% (guessing) on the blue line. The dish could be accessible (with a ladder!).

every single channel is full blue quality from my dish.

All of them should be full quality unless you live in the far North

You will need help to try this. Find a channel with less than perfect quality. Bring up the signal diagnostics Press on the rear left side of the dish to slightly move the dish aim to the left. Leave it pressed till the signal quality moves. Note if it goes up or down. Repeat pushing the right hand side. Now repeat top and bottom to check the elevation. Post the results when you have them. If the signal quality goes down for both side presses the dish is spot on for direction. If the quality goes down when pressing both top and bottom the elevation is spot on.

depending on the results you may have to slacken the nut that controls the direction it points and or the vertical and make a very tiny adjustment in the direction that quality goes up. The idea is to find the spot that gets the dish spot on in both direction and elevation.

| Mon 5 Nov 2018 19:03:50 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.