My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Problems recording two part programs

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have used my example to confirm the op's claim that, despite being set, the epg nor the schedule indicated that the 2nd part of a split or an episode in a series would be recorded and that it was not possible to select the affected part/episode from the epg to set an individual recording event. Despite this having happened to me previously, the affected episode did in fact record correctly.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 17:09:50 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have used my example to confirm the op's claim that, despite being set, the epg nor the schedule indicated that the 2nd part of a split or an episode in a series would be recorded and that it was not possible to select the affected part/episode from the epg to set an individual recording event. Despite this having happened to me previously, the affected episode did in fact record correctly.

Which is because the broadcaster screwed up not the box. You can convert the first part recording to a manual one and extend the recording time to cover the end of the second part.

It's the classic garbage in/ garbage out situation.

You should complain to the broadcaster who are using personnel not trained as to how to code a split event. If you can find one in advance it's possible to look at the CRID codeing.

Nobody doubts the OP we have seen this many times on both Freeview+/Freeview Play and Freesat boxes. Freeview and Freesat use the same crid system to enable accurate and series recordings.

Unfortunately they often get the codes wrong. No recordings of The Voice took place on Sunday evening on ITV-HD no doubt due to similar failures at ITV to modify the codes to cope with the cancellation of Ant and Decs programme.

BBC 1 HD recently made a right pigs ear of the BBC HD Shetland series.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 18:40:23 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Which is because the broadcaster screwed up not the box.
    .. is exactly the point I made in the 2nd post

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 20:44:18 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Which is because the broadcaster screwed up not the box.
    .. is exactly the point I made in the 2nd post

It was your affected episode that I posted about. Split-Event recordings are rarely part of a series, usually a one off movie that the broadcaster doesn't consider part of a series. There is generally no episodes and therefore no series recording codes. It's a one off event, with a break in the middle.

If the broadcaster considered the first part of the movie as Episode 1 and second part as episode 2 (same series CRID different episode CRID) it would be a two episode series that would record both in a series folder. The reservation would hang around for 13 weeks (unless manually deleted) and then auto delete.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:08:13 #14 |
  5. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

BBC 1 HD recently made a right pigs ear of the BBC HD Shetland series.

Ah! So that's why one of the episodes was missing. Fortunately I spotted it and binge-watched the series while I could still catch the missing episode on iPlayer.

On the subject of split recordings, I wish that the broadcasters did treat them as a series, that way both halves would be together in one folder, instead of about six recordings apart as 'A Walk Among the Tombstones' on ITV was recently.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 12:02:04 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

martinbaines

I have had this happen, and as others say it is almost certainly the broadcaster getting the metadata wrong in the EPG. As well as programmes with breaks in the middle it sometimes happens when two episodes show recorded in a row - e.g. the BBC foreign drama slot on BBC4, I suspect for a similar reason.

I have however found that there is a relatively easy way to set the other missing part to record without the full manual entry by time. Just go to the "guide", have the cursor in the bit not set to record and hit the record button (the red box on the remote). It will appear when recorded as a different entry in the recorded listings not part of the series, but that is much less worse than just missing the recording. Of course that still means you have to notice when it happens.

If anyone from Humax is watching this thread, something that would help, would be an easy option to from the box send a notification to the broadcaster of the problem. I have found that they generally react pretty well to be told such things - but the mechanism is cumbersome (go tot their website, hunt for "contact us" of the right sort, fill in form or send email explaining...), a few clicks on the remote to report incorrect metadata would be easier for users, and I suspect appreciated by broadcasters so they can fix things before the event, not after a torrent of complaints for a missed recording (although I bet a lot of broadcaster customer service teams just blame the box manufacturer).

| Mon 9 Apr 2018 9:35:18 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimonR

Thank you for all the discussion and assistance since I posted my original query.
    I thought I would update you on the situation. This problem still occurs in the same way quite regularly. I have found that if this happens, when I cycle the power, the problem is no longer apparent. I can the select the first part of the program for recording and the second part is automatically selected.
    The easiest workaround if the problem occurs is to manually reschedule the first section to overlap the time of the second section. As long as you know when this happens, it is not difficult to correct.

| Sun 6 May 2018 22:26:50 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.