My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Problems with PVR 9300T Advice Welcomed

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

genequeen

Hi I am new to the forum. I would welcome advice please. My Humax PVR 9300T started having problems with the hard disk drive a few weeks back and then a message came up stating HDD error and when I spoke to a Humax engineer he advised that I reset my Humax back to factory settings and erase my recordings. I did this but I still cant record progs. etc so I have just been using it really as a tuner for freeview channels as my tv is a Grundig TVR373OT2T and does not have freeview channels as it is an older tv. This was fine until about a week ago when suddenly the picture on my tv goes blank and I can only hear the freeview channels. Has anyone any advice regarding what I can do to get the picture back - I've tried powering off from the mains and powering off the PVR but I still only get sound. If I need to get a new PVR or freeview device that I can connect to my tv to get freeview channels that is not a problem. Thank you.

| Tue 13 Sep 2016 14:17:44 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

It sounds like the Hard Drive is causing the Black picture problem. The Hard drive has a continous 2 hour buffer working & if the partition is corrupted if will jam. My suggestion is disconnect the hard drive & see if this improves problem TV problem as a temp solution? i.e. use 9300 as a freeview receiver only. With regards the Hard drive, I would take this out of the PVR & maybe try & test this on PC. Maybe try & run Windows SFC command & check for bad sectors etc + reformat on PC, then have another go of putting back in PVR & see if everything wokrs again. Worth a try? The problem with hard drives is that they can fail at any moment. The Humax 9300 hard drive is IDE & not SATA fitting. You could purchase a SATA adaptor & mount a replacement SATA drive, but unless you get one cheaply, it would be cheaper to purchase a newer machine. Trust my tips may help you. Good luck. John

| Tue 13 Sep 2016 19:21:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jdlfreetime - 2 hours ago  » 
    Maybe try & run Windows SFC command & check for bad sectors etc + reformat on PC, then have another go of putting back in PVR & see if everything wokrs again. Worth a try? The problem with hard drives is that they can fail at any moment. The Humax 9300 hard drive is IDE & not SATA fitting.

The 9300 is definitely SATA; the earlier 9200 is IDE. I suggest a first step would be to format the disk on the 9300 using the HDD Control menu item in the Record Menu.

| Tue 13 Sep 2016 22:10:39 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Hi Guys,
    Similar problems to those above, started with not recording programs and then the hard drive disappeared from the menus.
    I no longer have access to formatting the disk etc.
    Purchased the identical drive which arrived today, and whilst it powers up for a few seconds, it shuts down when the picture appears.
    Still no record menu/format drive etc.
    I've set everything back to defaults but no change.
    Is there anything else I can do, I really don't have the money for a new box but am competent at soldering if there is a repair kit available.

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:33:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndyT - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Purchased the identical drive which arrived today, and whilst it powers up for a few seconds, it shuts down when the picture appears.

When you fitted the new hard drive did the Humax offer to format it when next booted up?

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:53:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

No mate, nothing at all

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:54:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Sorry if I have confused the situation but it wasn't the hard drive powering up it was just the fan.
    Plugging in the power to the hd does nothing.

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 18:05:12 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndyT - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry if I have confused the situation but it wasn't the hard drive powering up it was just the fan.
    Plugging in the power to the hd does nothing.

Ok. So with the hard drive disconnected will the box power up and perform as a set top box?

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 19:09:27 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Yes it does, works fine just no ability to record.

I've read through lots of posts on the forum, and although I could be wrong I have come to the conclusion that it is power supply related.
    Even if the hard drive wasn't being recognised, I'm sure it should still power up.

On this basis I've taken a punt on a repair kit for £17 delivered.
    If it's anything like the kit I purchased for a Pace positioner years ago, there could be 50 components to replace.
    If I'm wrong then I'll waste a day on soldering, if I'm lucky then I should get a good few years use out of the box.

| Fri 7 Oct 2016 15:39:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AndyT - 2 hours ago  » 
    I've read through lots of posts on the forum, and although I could be wrong I have come to the conclusion that it is power supply related.
    Even if the hard drive wasn't being recognised, I'm sure it should still power up.

Power supply problems are uncommon on the 9300 but clearly it is a possibility. Let us know how it works out. I assume you have tested the disks by connecting to a PC?

| Fri 7 Oct 2016 17:57:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.