My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Programs that overrun

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWJ

Hi,

As a long time user of Humax PVR's I'm keen to buy Humax again for my next upgrade and I'm looking at the FVP 4000T. One issue that is important to me is the ability of the PVR to automatically record the whole of a program that either (a) overruns beyond it's scheduled finish time, or (b) is late starting due to a previous overrunning program. I've been unable to establish if the 4000T has this facility and hope you guys can answer the question for me.

Thanks

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 15:50:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

If set to auto-record the Humax box uses meta-tags transmitted by the broadcaster to determine start and finish times. So if the broadcaster gets it right then there is no problem. Not all do, CH5 seems to be reported as particularly poor.
    You can set manual padding for start and finish but that introduces potential contention between contiguous recordings. With auto I've never had problems with recording, accepting that I rarely record CH5.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 15:56:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    You can set manual padding for start and finish but that introduces potential contention between contiguous recordings.

Set the finish as the end time of the second programme and record both as one file.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 17:10:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWJ

Thanks for the replies. My present HDR-FOX T2 catches overruns perfectly ... I didn't miss a second of last weekends overrunning Formula One program on Channel 4. My worry is that Humax Customer Services tell me that the FVP 4000T doesn't have this facility. Is the "Auto-Record" option in the settings? I don't want to start messing with the padding settings ... I've never needed to on the FOX.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 17:45:13 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

I'm aghast at Humax Customer Services telling you that, it is completely incorrect.

I can assure you that the FVP 4000T has the auto option for start and end padding time.

F1 was recorded without issue last weekend.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 19:11:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWJ

Barry, you wouldn't believe the email exchanges I've had with Customer Services. I found it so hard to believe that the 4000T couldn't handle overrunning programs that I queried it. When they insisted it couldn't do it I asked them to tell me which Humax PVR's could catch overruns. They replied that none of them could. When I pointed out that the HDR-FOX T2 could, they said that it was the only one. It just didn't make sense to me, which is why I came here to check it out.

This has been the only issue stopping me from buying a FVP 4000T ... it sounds like an awesome machine with it's 3 tuners and Freeview Play.

Thanks for your help.

| Wed 27 Jul 2016 19:49:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JWJ

Barry, forgive me for coming back on this but can I clarify with you that you recorded the whole of the extended F1 program without making any manual edits to start or end times. In other words, the FVP 4000T handled it entirely automatically from the schedule.

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 13:15:54 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JWJ - 17 hours ago  » 
    Barry, you wouldn't believe the email exchanges I've had with Customer Services. I found it so hard to believe that the 4000T couldn't handle overrunning programs that I queried it. When they insisted it couldn't do it I asked them to tell me which Humax PVR's could catch overruns. They replied that none of them could. When I pointed out that the HDR-FOX T2 could, they said that it was the only one. It just didn't make sense to me, which is why I came here to check it out.
    This has been the only issue stopping me from buying a FVP 4000T ... it sounds like an awesome machine with it's 3 tuners and Freeview Play.
    Thanks for your help.

The capability is called accurate recording (AR), all UK Humax pvrs, both satellite and freeview starting with the 9200T have it. It is of course only as good as the broadcaster sending the correct control codes.

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 13:40:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 day ago Not all do, CH5 seems to be reported as particularly poor.

Actually, C5 (and 5* and 5USA) seem to have got much better recently. I complained to Channel 5 in February 2016 and we had the following exchange ...

Me:
    I wish to make a complaint about the timing signals transmitted by channels 5 and 5 USA which Freeview and Freeview+ recorders use to record the programmes.

These signals should be transmitted when the program starts, and when the program credits end, so that the recorder can record the entire programme.

5 and 5 USA transmit these signals at the incorrect times.

I then cited several examples of incorrect timings

Customer Services <customerservices@five.tv>:
    As is the case with most channels, Channel 5 does not currently provide ‘live’ or real time synchronisation of our Electronic Programme Guide (EPG). This can result in programmes being cut short if buffers or extensions of PVR recording times are not added to the recordings. If possible, we advise viewers to add five minutes to the start and the end of recordings in these instances.

Me:
    Thank you for your reply

Unfortunately the reply is completely incorrect and it appears that Channel 5 cannot have understood my complaint ... Could I therefore ask you to pass my complaint to someone who understands the details.

Customer Services <customerservices@five.tv>:
    No reply yet...

As I understand it, a Programme Number should be transmitted in parallel with, and at the same time as, the programme content and recorders start and stop recording based on this Programme Number. 5 USA was particularly bad in getting these synchronised - they were sometime minutes out and often lost the beginning of a recording and especially the end of a recording.

As for JWJ's question - the Humax of course uses these signals to record programmes and, as long as the broadcaster transmits them at the correct times when programs overrun, then you will get the complete programme. But you are at the mercy of the broadcaster - Humax does what it should do and, if the signal stops early, the Humax stops recording early ...

Attachments

1. recording_signals.png (7.4 KB, 1 downloads) 7 years old
    | Thu 28 Jul 2016 16:57:47 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The codes are known as CRIDs. Content reference identifiers. Briefly the broadcaster provides at least two. A programme CRID unique to that episode and a series crid which is the same for all episodes the broadcaster considers are part of the same series. A HDR FOX T2 can be set to display the CRID's. An additional one for programme recommendations may be present.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/things-every-hd-fox-t2-hdr-fox-t2-owner-should-know.1858/reply?quote=28597

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 17:17:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.