My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Programs that overrun

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Part of the reason that channel 5 got their reputaion for providing inaccurate start and stop signals was that they didn't roll out accurate recording (or an alternative) until March 2013.
    It wasn't that they were inaccurate it was just that they did supply it. Channel 5 roll out to the various transmitters of AR started in March 3013 and completed in April 2013.

5 * and 5 USA followed in July 2013.

There were repeated reports of 5 not supporting AR but they appeared to be all from people who had given up on 5 and was not looking at what it was currently.

And then came November 2015 and instead of being one of the best at AR it turned to being one of the worst. I sometimes record a lot of extra programmes to verify my impressions and this was one occasion due to the online comments that were appearing, especially for neighbours, but I guess that is one of their more popular progammes. 5 had become what appeared to be picking a large random selection of its progammes start times to leave defaulted to the billed time. (The broadcast only contains the start time for events, the end time adopts the next programme's start time for its end time.) I was hoping it was a blip but it was still poor in to March.

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Actually, C5 (and 5* and 5USA) seem to have got much better recently.

My few have been very accurate recently, just checked 30.

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 19:21:56 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Luke

Thanks for the clarification. I previously had a Humax 9200T and it seemed to use the programme banners for "accurate recording" and C5 was spectacularly bad at timing them - the next programme banner would almost always appear before the previous programme had even finished, let alone the credits rolled. Each recording used to start with about 60 seconds of the end of the previous programme! {where is the smiley of hammer banging head when you need it??)

I can date the 5 USA improvement precisely to mid January 2016. I was not satisfied with the C5 response so I complained to digital uk as well saying:

the two Law and Order Special Victims Unit (5 USA, Tuesdays 9pm) programmes broadcast on 5 January and 12 January 2016; and the New: Law and Order (5 USA, Thursdays 11:05pm) broadcast on 7 January [were all incorrectly timed].

Strangely (it's almost as though 5 USA has already reacted to my complaint and fixed things!) Law and Order on 5 USA on Thursday 14 Jan at 11:00pm was perfectly timed - the recording started with the sponsor's message, and included the credits at the end.

If C5 and 5 USA can keep this up, we will all be happy bunnies.

I haven't had any problems since - the 5 USA timing now seems excellent.

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 20:13:10 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JohnH77 - 26 minutes ago  » 
    I haven't had any problems since - the 5 USA timing now seems excellent.

My experience earlier in the year was not as good. It would have been Law & Order: Special Victims which I was watching on 5 USA.

JohnH77 - 26 minutes ago  » 
    I previously had a Humax 9200T and it seemed to use the programme banners for "accurate recording" and C5 was spectacularly bad at timing them - the next programme banner would almost always appear before the previous programme had even finished, let alone the credits rolled. Each recording used to start with about 60 seconds of the end of the previous programme! {where is the smiley of hammer banging head when you need it??)

When broadcasters provide accurate recording they do so through the start time for the now/next programme banner. That way even for channels that don't have accurate recording updates from the broadcaster the recorder can still work as it will naturally default to the schedule time instead.

The 9200T was initially a bit odd when it added accurate recording. The initial few accurate recording 9200T softwares would display the banner details from the 7 day programme guide and they would change on the billed time instead of the more accurate now/next time.

Humax also initially only added accurate recording to the 9200T for the start time but continued to use the scheduled end time for terminating the recording. I wonder if that was because the event only has the start time and they had not understood that the end time could be obtained from the next programme's start time.

| Thu 28 Jul 2016 20:45:58 #13 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.