My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR-9300T Software Updates

(61 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Hi all, I've had my unit since about late 2011 and have never been able run a software update on it, the version showing is UPTTF 1.00.26 July 7 2011. Auto or manual updates do not work. Is the only way to force an update to connect to my laptop with a special RS232 lead?

I have many problems with my PVR, mainly due I think to a poor Freeview signal: recordings with start and ends cut off,skipping, jumping, not recording at all and EPG being unpopulated. Its all very frustrating but I wonder how I can tell what is due to my poor signal and what is down to the Humax that could be fixed?

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks.
    Steve

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 9:58:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Steve983 - 28 minutes ago  » 
    I've had my unit since about late 2011 and have never been able run a software update on it, the version showing is UPTTF 1.00.26 July 7 2011. Auto or manual updates do not work.

You have the most recent software which is why there has been no OTA software update.

I have many problems with my PVR, mainly due I think to a poor Freeview signal:

What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the 9300?

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 10:30:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

Thanks for your reply, that's good, at least the swr is ok. The signal strength varies for the main channels like BBC1 its about 75% for others its around 64%. Other channels like Dave and Sky News come and go all the time. One week I have them, the next week I don't. Film 4 is not worth recording now because of all the skipping caused by poor signal. I wonder if I should just invest in Freesat (but I've had problems with that in the past too!).

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 12:10:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Steve983 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply, that's good, at least the swr is ok. The signal strength varies for the main channels like BBC1 its about 75% for others its around 64%.

I assume that is signal strength; what is the quality?

Other channels like Dave and Sky News come and go all the time. One week I have them, the next week I don't.

Have you tried a manual tune (instructions are at Link to manual tuning FAQ)?

Film 4 is not worth recording now because of all the skipping caused by poor signal.

Your signal strength is fine. I believe there is a problem that affects the 9150/9300 on certain channels and I think Film4 is one of them.

I wonder if I should just invest in Freesat (but I've had problems with that in the past too!).

The later HD Humax Freeview boxes are significantly better.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 12:40:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

The signal quality is often 100%. I do use manual tuning, I got the codes from Digital UK. Maybe I should re tune every week but surely that shouldn't be necessary. So perhaps if I bought the new model it might work better, although that is an expensive gamble.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 13:46:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Steve983 - 12 minutes ago  » 
    ...perhaps if I bought the new model it might work better, although that is an expensive gamble.

Buy from a reputable retailer, and try it out. If it's no better, return it in line with the seller's returns policy.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 14:02:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

^ Ok, thanks very much for your help Martin & James.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 14:12:05 #7 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Steve983 - 9 hours ago  » 
    The signal quality is often 100%. I do use manual tuning, I got the codes from Digital UK. Maybe I should re tune every week but surely that shouldn't be necessary. So perhaps if I bought the new model it might work better, although that is an expensive gamble.

Are you doing the Manual Search as per my instructions? You say you get some channels one week and not the next, is this because of large signal strength changes? If so a new box won't be the answer, try looking at your aerial installation and ask your neighbors if they get the same signal strength variations.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 23:06:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Steve983

^ I do the manual search per the users manual. My aerial is pointing at the Rowridge transmitter so I key in the codes 24,27,25,22,28 and search and save in turn. I have also tried the Default setting method but this is really an auto tune and doesn't seem to work as well.

I have been told by a local tv dealer that my area has poor Freeview reception and spending £200 on a new aerial might help but might make no difference.

Yes, some channels come and go, when the signal is too weak they simply vanish. Interestingly though it seems that some channels are good enough to watch live but not good enough to record - I have been told a recorder needs a stronger signal to work properly. For example sometimes I can watch Sky News via the TV's freeview tuner and its fine but when I try to watch via the Humax it halts and stutters. This seems to suggest the 9300T is at fault? thanks for any advice.
    Steve

| Sun 15 Feb 2015 9:20:11 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Steve983 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have been told by a local tv dealer that my area has poor Freeview reception and spending £200 on a new aerial might help but might make no difference.

Your signal strength is relatively high though. Do you have an amplifier in the aerial circuit?

| Sun 15 Feb 2015 11:31:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.