My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Recording failed: unable to track programme

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chalky

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a brand new hdr1800T. It records some programmes but misses a lot as well. Most are films on Talking Pictures channel but also bbc4, bbc2 and bbc1. The recordings do not overlap. I have tried changing power settings to make sure it stay on overnight. Also have tried previous advice on this forum to check signal detection.this choice is not available - it is in a gray typeface as opposed to white. I read on another forum that padding the recording time may help so tried going to those settings and the recording preference were also unavailable and in a gray typeface. Just tearing my hair out now and ready to take the box back to the shop. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 14:33:08 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Don't know your model but Humax PVR's disable some settings while recording or within 15 minutes of a recording starting.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 14:47:07 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Check your epg for channel numbers over 800. If you have these you are receiving from more than one transmitter. This is the most common cause of the issues you are describing. The solution is simple.

Identify which transmitter you should be using.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

Make a note of the UHF channels your transmitter uses and which ones carry HD content.

As Repassac says if you stop any current recordings the greyed out options should return.

A 1800T owner will no doubt post instructions as to the manual tuning procedure to manually tune the UHF channel you have made a note of.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 15:14:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Try the FAQ entry on manual tuning for the HDR-FOX T2 at http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336 which will also apply to the HDR-1800T and the HDR-2000T.

These instructions are now getting rather old and theses days there is potentially more than one HD multiplex but they are still (I think) basically correct.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 15:24:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I agree with both Graham and Martin concerning what the mostly likely cause is and what is the best thing for you to try, but a couple of other comments ...

Chalky - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have tried changing power settings to make sure it stay on overnight.

You are making it worse by leaving the HDR-1800T switched full on if the cause is what Graham, Martin and I strongly suspect, until you retune using the method suggested. Until you have time to manually retune as suggested what you need to do is try to put it into standby when ever you are not actually watching programmes with it.

Chalky - 2 hours ago  » 
    bbc2 and bbc1.

The most important next action is to find time to manually tune using the method that Martin supplied you with a link in reply #4, but which BBC4, BBC2 and BBC1 are you referring to?
    E.g. channels 1, 2 and 9, or channels 101, 102 and 106, or channels 701, 702 and 704?

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 17:39:53 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi Chalky
    I have the 2000T which is essentially the same model with a slightly bigger hard drive.

Sometimes the boxes can be tempramental and dont register hard drive functions or sound on boot up. That could be a cause of your problem. Even when its been on standby It doesnt always boot up correctly so it probably wont record. I suspect that is the main issue with these boxes

Ive never really missed a recording but I dont do that many and my box isnt on standby for days. I generally record whats on that night when I know my box has been working earlier. It works on some sort of time bar signal to switch it on and its very accurate BBC are good on that but I dont know about other channels like talking pictures.

It will only allow two recordings at the same time obviously but its pretty good at warning you on the guide. When it works it works very well and I have some really long HD recordings in lovely quality.

Check your signal and aerial because any bad signal with fail a recording but it will tell you the recording has failed in the menu

Also the signal detection wont work when its recording. Have a play with it and test the detection on every channel. They benefit from a regular retune but my advice is that if you are at all unhappy take it back. Im generally ok with my 2000T now but there are times when I would have taken it back and maybe I should have.

All the best with it

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 19:30:48 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Minstrel SE - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Chalky
    I have the 2000T which is essentially the same model with a slightly bigger hard drive.
    Sometimes the boxes can be tempramental and dont register hard drive functions or sound on boot up. That could be a cause of your problem. Even when its been on standby It doesnt always boot up correctly so it probably wont record. I suspect that is the main issue with these boxes
    Ive never really missed a recording but I dont do that many and my box isnt on standby for days. I generally record whats on that night when I know my box has been working earlier. It works on some sort of time bar signal to switch it on and its very accurate BBC are good on that but I dont know about other channels like talking pictures.
    It will only allow two recordings at the same time obviously but its pretty good at warning you on the guide. When it works it works very well and I have some really long HD recordings in lovely quality.
    Check your signal and aerial because any bad signal with fail a recording but it will tell you the recording has failed in the menu
    Also the signal detection wont work when its recording. Have a play with it and test the detection on every channel. They benefit from a regular retune but my advice is that if you are at all unhappy take it back. Im generally ok with my 2000T now but there are times when I would have taken it back and maybe I should have.
    All the best with it

There is no need to test the reception on every channel, all you need to check is one channel on each digital multiplex. Digital TV carries multiple TV and Radio channels on a single UHF carrier in a single data stream (multiplexed). Because it's a single carrier the tuner extracts the data from the UHF carrier (Humax tuners can extract two at the same time), that means checking multiple channels on the same multiplex (MUX) will give identical results as it's just different digital bits extracted from the same data stream.

Digital TV just like analogue is transmitted by modulating a analogue UHF carrier waveform. That's why the the phrase digital aerial is complete nonsense. Satellite works in the same way except that the carrier is in the microwave band, just like your microwave oven uses to cook food but at minute power levels). A dish collects the microwave frequencies and focusses them onto a device known as a lnb. The lnb shifts the frequency down to lower frequency that a coax cable can carry (LNB stands for Low Noise Block Down Converter). At that point the conversion to TV and radio channels is much the same as terrestrial digital TV)

The aerial picks up the UHF carrier together the with small variations imposed on it.

The Tuner recreates the carrier and subtracts it from the broadcast leaving the modulated information.

In analogue one carrier carried one TV channel, after demodulation you are left with with one analogue TV channel (In the UK a PAL 625 line (576 visible line) TV channel.

In digital the modulation of the analogue carrier produces a digital output of zeros and ones. The data stream amongst other things carries lots of compressed TV and Radio channels that the receiver tuner(s) can extract the specific channel.

All transmitted data requires a high frequency carrier that can be detected by a remote aerial. It took a while to be able to use this to carry video and audio. In the early days the only way to transmit data was to turn the carrier on and off using a switch you tap. Hence the morse code

Ironically digital broadcasting returns to essentially the same principle but at massively increased on/off frequencies.

A fibre optic cable can carry massive amounts of data, because it can operate at frequencies much much higher than the data it needs to carry).

The amount of data a carrier is capable of carrying is determined by the frequency of the carrier. Hence the advance from analogue VHF 405 line TV to UHF 625 line TV that eventually developed into PAL analogue colour TV.

| Sun 10 Dec 2017 20:48:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Chalky

Thank you all for your advice. I have never heard of manual retuning before and was very nervous about trying it. I followed all Martins’s instructions and have tried recording a few programmes at different times. I am delighted to say that so far they have all recorded. Thank you again, I wouldn't have known where to start without your help. Hopefully everything will be fine now. If I have any more problems I will come back!!

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 21:59:51 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.