Recording failures

(75 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 51 minutes ago  » 

RobJF - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks but there's a pitched-roofed two story building to the south, broadside-on, just a few yards away, I don't believe a dish much lower than the present position would get a signal.
    I will try to find a neighbour with a ladder I could borrow. I've looked at hiring one but, with delivery, that would probably cost more than getting a pro to do it!

I think you may be surprised. You can get the exact elevation for any location
    http://www.dishpointer.com/
    Enter your postcode, select 28.2E and zoom into the Google earth picture and drag the location your property, don't forget you may get a location as I do on Eastwards facing wall. Make a simple inclinometer marking a piece of card with the elevation using a protractor and a button on a thread as a plumb line to get the card edge vertical. Glue or tape a kitchen roll tube along the elevation line. Stand at the front of your house or in a bedroom, look through the tube in the direction indicated, if you can see the sky a dish should be fine.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zone-1-Sky-Satellite-Dish-MK4-and-Quad-LNB-For-Sky-HD-Freesat-PVR/153087636534?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3Dc774a63e1c5d4204a99c9ac4650ed2a4%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D153087636534&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226
    Photo of my dish on a NE facing wall. Try ground level in your back garden.

Blimey Graham, I think that's the lowest sighted dish on a property I've ever seen. I would end up knocking myself out on that.
    P.S. good to see you're recycling your run off water.

I ain't that tall Can't be seen from the street.

| Fri 5 Oct 2018 16:49:44 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RobJF

Thanks again but this is a rented flat, there's no garden and I'd have to get permission from my landlord, the downstairs neighbour and his landlord, and the owner of the block, before attaching a dish to his wall and running a cable through mine. So I'm not going to bother working out the elevation (which I'm still skeptical about), it would be easier just to get hold of a ladder, or even farm the job out to a pro.

Another thought: as the area's open to the public, I'd guess there's probably some rule says dishes and such have to be out of reach. Or even just to avoid vandalism.

| Fri 5 Oct 2018 18:02:01 #72 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 
    Blimey Graham, I think that's the lowest sighted dish on a property I've ever seen. I would end up knocking myself out on that.

Mine is about 2 foot off the ground. I have to sit on the ground when I want to fiddle with it. I do have a clear 'shot' to the south east except for the bush in front of it to disguise it which I have to trim from time to time.

| Sat 6 Oct 2018 0:05:06 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Trev - 15 hours ago  » 

Faust - 9 hours ago  » 

Mine is about 2 foot off the ground. I have to sit on the ground when I want to fiddle with it. I do have a clear 'shot' to the south east except for the bush in front of it to disguise it which I have to trim from time to time.

Your post has put a very difficult to remove image in my mind.

| Sat 6 Oct 2018 15:45:29 #74 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

OMG. The mind boggles. The dish, turkey.

| Sat 6 Oct 2018 16:11:33 #75 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.