My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Recording problem

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

When I plug in a USB3 32GB stick, it is seen in the storage settings, but I cannot record to it as I get a message saying I should connect a USB hard drive first.
    I then connect a 750Gb 2.5inch hard drive in a USB3 caddy, which has a power on switch, but that hard drive is not seen at all in the storage settings.

I read in the FAQ's that a USB drive should be formatted NTFS, but it makes no difference.

What do I have to do to get recording working?

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 18:20:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

avalon65 - 34 minutes ago  » 
    When I plug in a USB3 32GB stick, it is seen in the storage settings, but I cannot record to it as I get a message saying I should connect a USB hard drive first.

It has to be a hard disk drive, or one that makes it look like a hard disk drive (e.g. possibly an SSD). A flash drive is not a hard disk drive.

avalon65 - 34 minutes ago  » 
    I then connect a 750Gb 2.5inch hard drive in a USB3 caddy, which has a power on switch, but that hard drive is not seen at all in the storage settings.

A USB 3 external portable drive is usable if it is USB 2 compatible.
    Possibly your USB 3 caddy can be USB 2 compatible with a suitable drive but this will not be possible with all drives. Internal drives are not specifically designed to adjust their power requirements to USB 2 levels.

avalon65 - 41 minutes ago  » 
    What do I have to do to get recording working?

The most straightforward solution is to use a portable hard disk drive specified to be either USB 2 or USB 2 compatible.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:07:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Thanks for the reply, and I have just tried a 8Gb USB 2 stick, or flash drive, in the box and a message box came up asking if I wanted assign the HDD for PVR, and obviously I did.

I will try the 2.5inch caddy with a USB 2 male to male cable to see if the 750Gb drive is recognised

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:46:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Update:
    I bought a 2.5inch USB 2 caddy and when it arrived there was a usb lead with 3 male connectors, 2 at one end and 1 at the other.
    I tried it with the said cable on my pc, but the 750Gb drive was not shown, so I then connected it with a USB 3 lead and the drive was recognised.

I then connected the 750Gb drive to the Humax box with a USB 3 lead, and the box locked up, as no buttton pressing on the remote made any difference. I swapped the USB 3 to a USB 2 lead with just a male fitting at each end, aned the box still was unresponsive. The caddy I have is a Dynamode and powered from the USB port.
    It now looks like I am having to buy a proper external hard drive and use that instead aof the internal one in a caddy
    Thanks

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 13:02:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

you can pick up a 1TB portable usb2 or usb3 drive for around £50.

Under the circumstances I'd look for a usb2 portable drive as previously suggested.

I don't think I've had problems with usb 2 or 3 drives, but I have with usb3 sticks every now and again so stay with usb2.

Normally usb3 and usb2 leads aren't compatible, they have a different mini plug that goes into the drive/enclosure. Unless you've got the square type B plug (not the oblong one) for the drive/enclosure, but these normally aren't portable and require extra power.

The 3 connector cable is for drives that require more power. Typically there'll be two male usb2's and a mini usb2 for the drive/enclosure. Quite often you only need to plug the middle standard usb2 connector (i.e. the one with two cables going into it, not the single end one) into the pc/humax and the mini usb plug into the drive/enclosure. Not too sure whether you have a caddy/docking-station/enclosure, docking stations normally require extra power. You can pick up cheap usb2 - sata cable/adapter with a cheap plastic enclosure that'll hold a 2.5" drive for less than £10 on ebay. This is an ideal way to make use of spare drives.

If you've had the 750GB connected to the humax and it's been formatted then it's quite likely you won't see it on your pc unless you go into 'disk management'.

If you want help to get the 750GB working then let us know exactly which drive it is, i.e. model number and the same for the caddy/s

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 14:24:59 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

avalon65 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Update:
    I bought a 2.5inch USB 2 caddy and when it arrived there was a usb lead with 3 male connectors, 2 at one end and 1 at the other.
    I tried it with the said cable on my pc, but the 750Gb drive was not shown, so I then connected it with a USB 3 lead and the drive was recognised.
    I then connected the 750Gb drive to the Humax box with a USB 3 lead, and the box locked up, as no buttton pressing on the remote made any difference. I swapped the USB 3 to a USB 2 lead with just a male fitting at each end, aned the box still was unresponsive. The caddy I have is a Dynamode and powered from the USB port.
    It now looks like I am having to buy a proper external hard drive and use that instead aof the internal one in a caddy
    Thanks

The extra connector is to allow you to connect a external power supply like a mobile phone charger, it only has the power wires connected to it. Make sure you use the connector directly connected to the cable to connect to the Humax. Try plugging in a mobile phone or tablet charger to the other connector.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 14:25:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

What I have is a Dynamode USB 2.0 caddy from Amazon for aroundt £7 something. The USB cable has 3 type A male ends, so I connected the middle one , with 2 cables into 1 plug, to then Humax box, and also connected a phone charger by means of a USB 3 male A plug into the charger, and a USB type A socket connected to the free end of the USB 2 cable into the Humax box.

But still no joy as the WD 750GB ,internal hard drive,
    Model:WD750BPVT,
    seriel number: WXF1A61K1626

Is still not seen nor recognised by the Humax box. I formatted the said drive FAT32, and is not seen in Disk Management in windows when I use the supplied USB cable, albeit there seems to be some power gtting to the drive as the led is glowing red.

Presently I have a Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8gb plugged into the Humax box and it is recognised.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 15:08:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

I have just tried a GRIXX 64Gb USB 3 flash drive in the Humax box and a menu box came up on the screen saying USB, with 3 options of Video, Music and Pictures I think. I selected or OK'd the Video item, but when I press the R button on the remote to record, nothing appears to happen. Also, I cannot pause live TV either.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 15:32:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

The caddy/enclosure seems to be from around 2010 and others on Amazon have had problems with larger capacity drives. It's quite possible that the enclosure can't work with any drive bigger than ~640GB. I've had docking stations with similar limitations in the past and no mention of it in the instructions/manual.

You don't mention the model number of the caddy/enclosure, but if it's the ide/sata one then it is limited to drives up to 160GB
    If it doesn't work with windows then I can't see how it can work with the Humax.

What's the usb3 caddy/enclosure you have? If you want to try that.

A usb stick (flash drive, pen drive, thumb drive etc.) is only for playing back or copying to/from, not for recording on or using to pause live TV.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 15:38:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Ok thanks for some clarifications. The Dynamode USB 2 caddy has a sata connection, as does the WD 750Gb HD in it.

The USB 3 caddy I have is an Inateck FEU3NS-1E, self powered or from the USB port, and that is not seen nor recognised by the Humax box.
    The only other option I have left now is to try a ORICO 3.5 inch drive docking station, with it's own separate power supply.

Update:
    I coonected the 3.5 inch docking station with the 2.5inch WD drive in to the Humax box and a window appeared on the screen showing the HD information and asking for a pin number, which I entered then it went into Formatting the Drive mode, but is not showing any progress, and I can't stop it without pulling the plug.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 15:51:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.