My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Recording problem

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Ok the Humax box is back to normal now as the formaming of the HD must have finished. I can record to the WD hard drive, phew!

I am going to start a separate thread on pausing live tv

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 16:56:41 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

The bigger the drive the longer it takes to format, which is done properly on the humax so it takes a while as you've found out.
    pausing tv setting will be found in the menu on the hb1000s somewhere, you need to tell the box to do it, i.e. record a buffer for playback/chase-play

if the 750GB still doesn't work in the usb3 caddy then assume it's incompatible, glad to see it working with the docking station for you.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 17:10:09 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

When I did pause live TV, the screen went blank, and I didn't know what to do so I pressed a few buttons like the play button first, and it came back on. I noticed it was kind of clunky as it was playing slowly. Also I would like to know if it was possible to record onetv program while watching another. I have my doubts somehow.

I'll try the 750Gb HD tonight to see if it will record to, and I have no reason to think it wouldn't, as the Humax saw it ok and asked if I wanted to use it for recordings.

I am now loking to get a specific External Drive and see on another thread that the WD Elements works, but I see that it doesn't have a separate power supply and is powered by the usb port.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 18:18:27 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can watch any programme on the same transponder as the one you are recording.

The programme up/down button cycles through the possibilities.

List of programmes sorted by transponder. Use either manual version.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 18:51:37 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Well after I thought all was well with the external drive for recording, it now seems it is not. With the drive usb lead plugged into the Humax box,the box then becomes unresponsive for a while, and takes what seems like ages to respond to any button preses.

I have now unplugged the said drive until I find a better solution.

| Sat 7 Jan 2017 20:51:04 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi avalon65,

I think you've been unlucky with the dynamode caddy. I have spare drives in cheap enclosures with usb/sata adapters. In theory the 750GB should have just worked, but I think the dynamode is too old and just doesn't support larger drives.

As previously suggested, a portable usb2 1TB can be got for around £50
    usb3 won't give you any advantage as the humax is usb2. usb2 speed is more than enough for recording/playback. There's also a greater chance of usb3 being incompatible with the humax, I assume you've discovered this with the inateck caddy

Personally I would go with a new portable usb2 drive with no need for an external power supply assuming you can't get the 750GB to work with the inateck caddy and you don't want to risk a different usb2 caddy/enclosure

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 7:54:03 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

You maybe right about the dynamode usb 2 caddy not supporting large hard drives. I do have smaller ones but they have something on them, linux, and windows 10.

I can't find any specific USB 2 external drives on Amazon as they are either USB3 or USB2 caddy's, so I have ordered a WD Elements 500Gb USB3 drive, which will do if itworks right and doesn't seize the box up, like the 750Gb drive did.

Just out of interest what makes are the cheap enclosures you have, as I am finding loads of different makes of USB 2 caddys and enclosures but finding one to work with the Humax is the problem

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 12:28:32 #17 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

This FAQ lists the HDD I tested with this unit.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 12:41:53 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Yes I saw that list and that is why I have ordered the WD Elements USB3 drive.

Update:
    I have reconnected the Inatek USB 3 caddy with the WD drive in to the Humax again,and this time it shows up as storage! The box was a bit clunky at times, ie not responsive as fast as without the USB3 drive connected, but it doesn't seem to bad.

I'll see how it goes now , and if it is recognised later, I'll cancel the WD Elements order.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 12:59:55 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

avalon65

Further Update:

I read on another Humax forum a user had the same problem with USB2.0 caddy and cable, and that there are 2 usb ports on the HB1000-S. There being 1 under the ethernet port in a horizontal position and the other being in a vertical position to the left of the ethernet port.
    I then connected the 2 USB male plugs on the one end of the USB cable for the USB2 Dynamode 2.5 inch caddy in both of the 2 USB ports on the Humax, and the single USB2 male into the caddy. Now the WD 750Gb drive is recognised, and everything else looks good.
    What I did notice with the USB 3 caddy and cable was that the oicture was a little on the dull side,and not as sharp as it would normally be, but it is back to its sharp picture now.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 15:35:28 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.