My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Remote information button

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi, I'm just going for my roast but if it's any help,
    On our box when we bring up the guide It is populated fully.
    If it's any help. before we got the 5000t We were using a Panasonic Freeview play machine. Now That one brought up the guide in the same way.
    However, scrolling back into the play side it took for ever to populate it.
    Now This may not be relevant, but the day before my 5000t arrived.
    We had to do a retune as a message came up that our transmitter was
    making some upgrades to the guide.
    From that moment on the Freeview Play guide was populated from the go.
    I don't know if that was any Help for you, But I do Hope so.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 18:37:55 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

John,

I'm not talking about populating the ordinary standard all programme guide as in "Guide". Nor am I talking about simply opening the button Freeview Play. I'm just talking about the imedded Freeview Explore app which is then called Freeview Play when opened and has suggested programmes across all channels.

Perhaps other users can share whether when they open up > Freeview Play > FreeView Explore - is fully populated on opening with all of the suggested programmes across all the different channels as John says he is getting instantly on his.

I'm just puzzled as to how John has a box that appears capable of populating these programmes in advanced and as though waiting for it to be opened - or instantly on opening - as that seems completely different to my one.

Thanks.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:09:43 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    John,
    I'm not talking about populating the ordinary standard all programme guide as in "Guide". Nor am I talking about simply opening the button Freeview Play. I'm just talking about the imedded Freeview Explore app which is then called Freeview Play when opened and has suggested programmes across all channels.
    Perhaps other users can share whether when they open up > Freeview Play > FreeView Explore - is fully opulated on opening with all of the suggested programmes across all the different channels as John says he is getting instantly on his.
    Thanks.

This depends on when you boot the box. The epg starts with no content after overnight housekeeping. It get's populated on the first boot or presumably accurate recording and once populated stays populated (it's buffered in NVRAM) and remains so until the next morning. Padding gives no time for the epg to populate as the box doesn't have the 15 mins opportunity to refresh the epg that accurate recording gives you. A daily 15 mins power on/off timer at say 07:00 to 07:15 ensures you have a full epg.

I will boot my box tomorrow morning (it should have a full-epg as I don't get up at 07:00 ) and use a stopwatch to measure time to epg display. If the epg is starting from scratch it may take much longer depending on how long after the box is booted you press the FVP button as the box is busy getting the epg data. It's like all computers different operations get a higher or lower priority in accessing the cpu. On a fully user programmed cpu like is used on a PC, the programmer is able to alter the priority by a system of interrupts.

The Humax pvrs will obviously give priority to pvr operations like recording and playback and fit in say copying a recording to usb as and when they can steal cpu clock cycles to service A request like responding to the FVP play button. That's why those who suggest using USB 3.0 don't really understand how it all works. USB 3.0 would make no difference at all.

Basically you are likely to get the fastest response to the FVP button when the box is doing as little as possible. eg Not recording other than writing to the time shift buffer file.

You may all be right, without knowing what the box is actually doing is kind of key

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:28:52 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Just booted up my box. So I'll give it all just in case, so here goes'.
    From power on press to screen up 6 seconds.
    At that point the remote is frozen until the connected to network comes up.
    This is 2 seconds later.(I've got it on Wi-Fi.) On pressing my Freeview play. button all is populated at that point.
    I don't know if this is any help .

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:37:26 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 55 seconds ago  » 
    Just booted up my box. So I'll give it all just in case, so here goes'.
    From power on press to screen up 6 seconds.
    At that point the remote is frozen until the connected to network comes up.
    This is 2 seconds later.(I've got it on Wi-Fi.) On pressing my Freeview play. button all is populated at that point.
    I don't know if this is any help .

That's a whole new variable, my box is hard wired, I don't get a connected to network message as it must be much faster especially if you reserve a fixed address in the router address pool. And you now have how fast your WiFI router connection from your box location as well.

Pressing the FVP button doesn't tell you all is populated. You may not have a full-epg at this point.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:41:50 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Hi Graham, I hope I haven't confused things.

Since your power on morning timings the epg is always available. I was talking solely about how the new Playview app populates the app with the pictures of suggested programmes from across all channels.

At the moment, I'd say two times out of theee, when I request >Freeview play (button) > Freeview Explore> it either refuses or goes black or eventually if I am persistant it opens up Freeview EXPLORE which for some reason when it opens it is then called Freeview Play. That app as you know consolidates viewing suggestions from across all Freeview channels into one convenient place. It also offers genres but as default opens all. When I eventually get that populated i reckon it is around twenty seconds.

I find it difficult to believe that it is prepopulated as the EPG and as John suggests his is. I cannot see how it prepopulates because it would have to store all the programme images and all channels and drop them off as time moves on which takes considerable resource compared to the guide epg. Is this clearer or have I made things worst?!

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:50:31 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

We are on fibre optic broadband, but surely there must a whole load of the members on Fibre optic's.
    I know that when I set it up I had to put the password into the box twice before it actually connected. but once done. I haven't needed to touch it.
    The Panasonic Freeview play machine I used for 2 years did the same message.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:50:51 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

My box never has a delay to be connected to the network. I use homeplugs connected (eventually) to a fibre providing 70mbps.

John isn't clear, but perhaps he is connecting via wifi to his router not hard wired directly or via homeplugs.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 19:53:56 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Blimey yes Sorry, I'm connected direct to my router. I don't know if it's relevant but a couple of years ago our T2 was hot wired to a BT Wi-Fi booster box which was linked to this same router.
    We had some TV remote control problems( not sending commands) even a laptop which was linked to the same router kept dropping out.
    By pure chance I disconnected the signal booster box.
    Instantly everything started to behave correctly. Just after, our T2 packed up.
    Now you can see where I was coming from, when I originally suggested there may be some interference blocking some remote control commands.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 20:11:36 #19 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

uk1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    I was talking solely about how the new Playview app populates the app with the pictures of suggested programmes from across all channels.
    At the moment, I'd say two times out of theee, when I request >Freeview play (button) > Freeview Explore> it either refuses or goes black or eventually if I am persistant it opens up Freeview EXPLORE which for some reason when it opens it is then called Freeview Play. That app as you know consolidates viewing suggestions from across all Freeview channels into one convenient place. It also offers genres but as default opens all. When I eventually get that populated i reckon it is around twenty seconds.

20 seconds is about right for explore to populate fully, same timings via a 4000T and Panny FP unit - wholly defendant on how well the Freeview servers are operating.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 22:02:17 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.