uk1

special member

Thanks.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 22:19:05 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 3 hours ago  » 
    We are on fibre optic broadband, but surely there must a whole load of the members on Fibre optic's.
    I know that when I set it up I had to put the password into the box twice before it actually connected. but once done. I haven't needed to touch it.
    The Panasonic Freeview play machine I used for 2 years did the same message.

Some confusion here. The connection from your ISP to your router external to your property is not the issue, Very few have fibre actually to their property. Most will have fibre to local cabinet and conventional cabling to your router.

We are talking about the connection from your device to the router your ISP provides or a more advanced one you can connect to this router giving enhanced WiFi performance. You can turn off the WiFI and network switch on a iSP provided router, switch it into modem mode and connect a more advanced router that increases the range and speed of WiFi and gives you a new network switch that you can plug direct cabled connections into.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 23:05:13 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham, I hope I haven't confused things.
    Since your power on morning timings the epg is always available. I was talking solely about how the new Playview app populates the app with the pictures of suggested programmes from across all channels.
    At the moment, I'd say two times out of theee, when I request >Freeview play (button) > Freeview Explore> it either refuses or goes black or eventually if I am persistant it opens up Freeview EXPLORE which for some reason when it opens it is then called Freeview Play. That app as you know consolidates viewing suggestions from across all Freeview channels into one convenient place. It also offers genres but as default opens all. When I eventually get that populated i reckon it is around twenty seconds.
    I find it difficult to believe that it is prepopulated as the EPG and as John suggests his is. I cannot see how it prepopulates because it would have to store all the programme images and all channels and drop them off as time moves on which takes considerable resource compared to the guide epg. Is this clearer or have I made things worst?!

I take it you are referring to a mobile device app with data delivered by the internet. As this is IP delivered and we all have different download and upload speeds and especially if delivered by WiFi how can we possibly compare. I happen to have a fast WiFi modem connected to my poor WiFi performance Virgin Media 2 hub. Hub to ISP consistently exceeds quoted download speed of 70Mbps. Before adding a more advanced WiFi router and using the supplied ISP router purely as a modem, speed and range were limited. Now I get internal WiFi and wired connections much faster than the isp delivered 70Mbps. if I want to stream HD internally 70Mbps is not an issue because it's a device to device issue.

See my above post. If you want to make comparisons you have to have near identical performance across the whole data delivery from server to your device and have exclusive access to your IP connection. Pretty sure if my grandson is streaming Netflix or playing COD on his console you are bound to get different result (sharing bandwidth).

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 23:20:45 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

oh dear!

I am talking about the white and red Freeview Play button on the 5000t RC that when pressed has on the bottom row Freeview Explore. To get to a,populated set of programmes takes around 20 seconds.

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 23:23:58 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 52 seconds ago  » 
    oh dear!
    I am talking about the white and red Freeview Play button on the 5000t RC that when pressed has on the bottom row Freeview Explore. To get to a,populated set of programmes takes around 20 seconds.

At a guess that must be IP delivered so has exactly the same issues. No way to compare.

Presumably it's one of the extended IP search options referred to by Barry in the original 5000T difference post and provided by the Freesat servers so subject to all sorts of external influences compared to the data we all get via our aerials.

I can test if you wish, but suspect it will come down to my download is faster than yours and/or at the time the freesat servers were more or less busy at the time. Basically tell us both absolutely nothing.

Barry will know, Does it work if you don't have an internet connection ?

| Sun 19 Nov 2017 23:25:34 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Graham,

I was unable to test this because when I disconnected the lan lead it automatically reverted,to wifi which I had previously set,up and that it remembered.

| Mon 20 Nov 2017 2:41:19 #26 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 

uk1 - 52 seconds ago  » 
    oh dear!

At a guess that must be IP delivered so has exactly the same issues. No way to compare.

Barry will know, Does it work if you don't have an internet connection ?

With no internet connection none of the IP services work, and user is prompted to connect unit with on screen message.

| Mon 20 Nov 2017 9:40:19 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Boot time - 22.15 seconds. FVP instant and with Recommended fully populated. Hard wired to router with current speed test at 74.58Mbps.

Time to display recordings list about 2 seconds.

| Mon 20 Nov 2017 10:16:27 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pulled power at 10:18 left it off for 10 mins before reconnecting. After clock recovery booted box.

As expected broken recording 09:59-10:18.

Still have scheduled events for Homes Under The Hammer 21/11 22/11 23/11 24/11 27/11. ie Till next Monday. Unless the two recordings were significant doesn't appear to be an issue. I will create 3 simultaneous recordings this afternoon from 3 mux and repeat test so all three tuners will be used.

| Mon 20 Nov 2017 11:37:05 #29 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Boot time - 22.15 seconds. FVP instant and with Recommended fully populated. Hard wired to router with current speed test at 74.58Mbps.
    Time to display recordings list about 2 seconds.

Boot time a tad slow

My 4000/5000T's boot to video audio displayed in under 18 seconds

| Mon 20 Nov 2017 12:09:52 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.