My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Reorder channels? also channels in 800 range?

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Hi. I have a 9300t

I recently had bad reception problems on certain channels and did a re scan. The channel numbers allocated are now all over the place - eg ITV1 is now 801. Is there a way to re allocate the channel numbers. ie say I wanted ITV1 to be shown in the guide as channel 3, could I do that? Also, I seem to remember that having channel numbers in the 800 range indicated some type of problem. Is that so?

Finally, is the fact that I'm getting better signal strength on some channels (the BBC ones) and worse on others (Like ITV3) down to transmitter strength, rather than my aerial going faulty?

Thanks for any help

| Tue 24 Jul 2012 21:05:36 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnB47 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    The channel numbers allocated are now all over the place - eg ITV1 is now 801.

You need to do a manual tune see post three in the following thread Manual tuning FAQ

Note to moderators: There really ought to be a manual tuning entry in the FAQ section for the SD models.

| Tue 24 Jul 2012 21:27:00 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

"I am in the aerial installation trade" is now labelled Detailed view on the DigitalUK web site.

Admin Edit: post referred to edited to reflect this.

| Tue 24 Jul 2012 22:37:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Thanks Martin - I'll go through that process. One further question - will I be able to specify what channel number is allocated, or will that be done automatically?

Cheers.

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 20:28:36 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnB47 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Martin - I'll go through that process. One further question - will I be able to specify what channel number is allocated, or will that be done automatically?
    Cheers.

The channel number allocation is automatic.

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 20:43:15 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Thanks.

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 22:08:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

Me again. I've just had a quick read at the thread you mention. I'm just reading it through for now and I'm OK up to a point, then I get stuck.

I go to the website mentioned and put in my post code etc and get a page showing my most likely transmitter is Beacon Hill. The grid shows six sets of columns and I'm ignoring the BBC B HD one. The other headings show three columns and I think I'm to focus on the grey columns. In the instructions it says:

"Select the first UHF channel number obtained from the digitaluk web-site for Channel (actually the order doesn’t matter) and press Search...."

How do I "Select the first UHF channel number obtained..."? the grey columns say things like 60+ 53+ 42 etc and if I hover over them it gives other info. Are these the UVF channel numbers - ie there's only five of them to enter? (Perhaps I'm getting confused by the website using 'channel' to mean one thing when I think of it in another way (eg BBC1 is channel 1, BBC 2 is channel 2 etc).

Thanks for the help. Sorry if I don't reply until tomorrow evening - nearly bed time now.

Cheers.

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 22:33:51 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

The grey one with 60+, etc is the one you need, so for your transmiter:

60, 53, 42, 45, 51

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 23:08:58 #8 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

JohnB47 - 1 hour ago  » 
    "Select the first UHF channel number obtained from the digitaluk web-site for Channel (actually the order doesn’t matter) and press Search...."

You will have five UHF channel numbers for your local transmitter obtained from the DigitalUK web site, Barry has posted them above. In the Manual Search screen you will see Channel at the top, select it and you will be able to select each UHF channel number in turn. With instructions in one hand and remote in the other all will become clear. Don't worry if you mess it up the first time, just start again from deleting all the channels

| Wed 25 Jul 2012 23:49:44 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnB47

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this last night. Curious.

Anyway I've followed the process and it worked fine. The channels previously in the 800 range were better strength afterwards. But then later on, while watching a bit of 'hunt for red october' (with that curiously Scottish Russian sub captain), I noticed some picture stuttering and jumping. When I checked the signal strength both it and the quality reading had worsened significantly.

I can't really understand why the strength/quality of some channels can be worse than others, if they're all transmitted from the same place and why they fluctuate (on a very calm sunny evening down here in East Devon). Can anyone explain that to me?

Perhaps it's time to replace the aerial (it's been on the house for many years and was never replaced after DSO).

Thanks for the help with this everyone.

| Fri 27 Jul 2012 12:18:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.