My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Replace or Repair?

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gadgee

Not sure if the following list of faults will help myself (and others) to diagnose their problems but here goes;

(1) All recordings gone and message tells me that I have only used less than 1% space.

(2) Pause and Record functions gone.

(3) In Settings/Storage I am invited to connect a HDD.

(4) If I try to copy a file from a USB memory stick I am told that there is not enough room.

(5) On Demand services work OK.

Were it not for (2) and (4) I would assume HDD is U/S. (I have powered up and down, left it unplugged all night and done all the things folk have suggested in other postings.)

If it were to be the case of a failed HDD would it make sense to ask local PC repair shop to put in new disk?

If not a cost effective route, has anybody a suggestion for replacement for the Humax device from alternative maker?

Sorry but my faith in Humax is not great having Googled my problem and having seen the number of folks with same issues.

Seems Humax are not too responsive !

| Sun 18 Sep 2016 17:52:55 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

And you definitely have not downloaded or used the mobile app I take it?

| Sun 18 Sep 2016 22:35:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 

Downloading the app definitely isn't a problem, using the app on your phone etc isn't a problem, using the app as a remote control is probably OK too, I do that occasionally.

But pairing the box with your freesat ID might not be conducive to box longevity.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 8:53:14 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Several posters have removed the disk and checked it out on a PC running Linux. None of them found any issues with the hard disk. We do know Humax are working on this issue, best hope is they eventually find the source of the problem and come up with a permanent fix. We also know that the majority of owners with this problem have paired the remote scheduling app, which results in the box booting approx every 30 minutes 24/7.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 9:00:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub - 6 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 

Downloading the app definitely isn't a problem, using the app on your phone etc isn't a problem, using the app as a remote control is probably OK too, I do that occasionally.
    But pairing the box with your freesat ID might not be conducive to box longevity.

It's also a known problem with making the box go tits up. You've only to read the many posts on here to realise that.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 9:00:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

"If it were to be the case of a failed HDD would it make sense to ask local PC repair shop to put in new disk?"

It would make more sense to buy a replacement HDD and install it yourself as it's pretty easy. Unfortunately if it is the 'standard' can't detect hard drive 'software' problem it won't make any difference.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 9:01:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 59 seconds ago  » 

Reffub - 6 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 10 hours ago  » 

It's also a known problem with making the box go tits up. You've only to read the many posts on here to realise that.

As I said pairing the box is the problem, so that's pairing so the user can use the remote record function etc. That will cause the box to boot 3 times an hour and connect to the freesat servers.

Downloading and using the app and using it as TV guide is safe and using it as a wifi remote (without pairing) should be okay too.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 9:09:12 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The have now been several posts where the problem was resolved.
    No consistant method was used but several included un-pairing the app.

My advice would be not to replace the disk but to leave things for a while to see if you are one of the lucky ones, with a unit that resolves the problem on it's own.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 9:53:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gadgee

Thanks to all for your sugestions..

I have not downloaded the app so that is not a factor in my case.

From the responses it seems that

(1) Replacing the disk is not a guaranteed cure and may not be straightforward.

(2) I can wait till Humax releases a software upgrade which may or may not fix the problem.

(3) I can wait and hope that the box repairs itself.

Obviously I am not too thrilled at the prospect of buying a new unit, am not too keen on risking purchasing and fitting a new HDD and am uneasy simply waiting for the box to self correct or for Humax to deliver a fix.

Clutching at straws now but is there any point in using the rollback link in the hope that it will maybe trigger the box to 're-catalogue' the contents of the HDD?

(I am getting some serious earache from a certain hird party who is less than pleased to see her stock of winter viewing programmes vanish into the ether!!!)

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 10:18:55 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Gadgee

Just for the sake of completeness, pressing the PAUSE button triggers the message shown in the attached in the attached photo....

Don't know if this is significant.

| Mon 19 Sep 2016 21:49:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.