My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Replace the HDD on a HDR-1000S

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sticko

I'm having problems with my HDR-1000S. Occasional freezing and juddering sound. I suspect the HDD. Is there a way to check it? Is it easy to swap out?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 17:34:19 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sticko - 11 mins ago  » 
    I'm having problems with my HDR-1000S. Occasional freezing and juddering sound. I suspect the HDD. Is there a way to check it? Is it easy to swap out?

Only real way to check it is remove it, connect it to a PC booted into linux and run the Linux equivalent of Windows fixdisk.

Very easy to fit a new HDD.

WElcome to our forum.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 17:47:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sticko

Thanks Graham,
    I've no problem taking the unit apart and replacing hardware. I was worried the HDD was used to store the operating system as well as files.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 19:14:44 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sticko - 2 mins ago  » 
    Thanks Graham,
    I've no problem taking the unit apart and replacing hardware. I was worried the HDD was used to store the operating system as well as files.

The operating system and the recording schedule is in non volatile ram (NVram).

Generally only HDD DVD recorders have the OS on the HDD.

You do not even lose your recording schedule.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 19:20:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

safhumx

The 1TB disk in my Humax HDR-1100S was failing erratically. I lost all recordings couple of times. I upgraded to a 2TB SSD which has cured the problem and makes loading recoded content much faster.

Drive replacement is easy you need to remove the rubber feet to access the screws holding the case together and remove one screw from the rear panel. The base then lifts off and the location of the drive is obvious. Keep the feet carfully, dont put them stick-side down and you can just stick them back after the repair.

Be aware 2TB is the maximum size of disk supported. I had some spare 4TB disks and although these worked the Humax could only 800Gb of the available space.

| Fri 13 Nov 2020 13:58:02 #5 |
  6. gsmitheidw

gsmitheidw

Presumably if you needed more than 2TB (2TB is a LOT of content!) the best solution would be a USB external drive. That would give at least 2TB per drive.

| Sat 19 Dec 2020 17:08:10 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gsmitheidw - 30 mins ago  » 
    Presumably if you needed more than 2TB (2TB is a LOT of content!) the best solution would be a USB external drive. That would give at least 2TB per drive.

This pvr cannot record to a a usb connected drive. It has to be connected to the internal sata driver.

| Sat 19 Dec 2020 17:40:03 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

christiano

I had similar problems which seemed to get worse to the point that I considered getting a new box but I have dealt with the problem and all is okay.

I followed some YouTube instructions to open the box so I could check the hard drive and I noticed that the heat sinks to the right of the middle of the box got pretty hot while running, so I ran it with the top off and no problem!

I have thought about adding a fan but I'm not electronically handy enough so have settled for putting a couple of spacers in between the grey frame for the top and the white plastic top of the box, to allow more heat to escape. The top is about 8mm away from the rest and it looks fine.

Just make sure that no children or pets can get in to it (& get a bit of a shock) while you check whether this works for you.

| Wed 23 Dec 2020 13:17:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

fm49218

christiano - 1 week ago  » 
    I had similar problems which seemed to get worse to the point that I considered getting a new box but I have dealt with the problem and all is okay.
    I followed some YouTube instructions to open the box so I could check the hard drive and I noticed that the heat sinks to the right of the middle of the box got pretty hot while running, so I ran it with the top off and no problem!
    I have thought about adding a fan but I'm not electronically handy enough so have settled for putting a couple of spacers in between the grey frame for the top and the white plastic top of the box, to allow more heat to escape. The top is about 8mm away from the rest and it looks fine.
    Just make sure that no children or pets can get in to it (& get a bit of a shock) while you check whether this works for you.

You should check that the exhaust fan is working behind the HDD. The HDD can get warm and if the air isn't been shifted then it just disperses heat inside the box. This can also start to affect other components

| Wed 6 Jan 2021 11:50:13 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

fm49218

Sticko - 1 mnth ago  » 

The hard drive is pretty easy to replace. You can get a 1 TB HDD, on Amazon, for £35. If you have a 500 GB unit then this will upgrade your unit as well as prove if the HDD is or is not causing your fault. What I haven’t tried is running an SSD drive instead. In theory this should be quicker and disperse less heat.

I’m guessing if it’s the GUI that is juddering, and this is more about the software/hardware and the NVM that the unit is run on. The theory applies to set-top boxes as it does to mobile phones. As firmware and software is improved and new features are released the original hardware cannot always cope with the requirements of the software. I have noticed the interface is choppy.

| Wed 6 Jan 2021 11:55:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.